1st All grain probz!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohen_fetters

Reaction score
So I had noting better to do today, so I figured Id give my brew stand that I've been building a test run and try my hands at my 1st all grain brew.

I made my one recipe up on beer smith ( I'd like to upload it to see how bad you guys think it is) and went and bought the grains and hops at a local brew store.

I am currently boiling and about to add my first additions as i write this but there are a few things that have gone wrong so far.

First off was bringing my strike water up to 160.9 give or take. Once i mashed in i took a temp reading of about 148.6 when my target was 152. how is that going to effect the end result and efficiency.

Second is it ok if I did not reach my target pre boil volume or SG or can i add water in the end to match OG and post boil volume?

Any input would be much appreciated as i look forward to improving and to make good all grain beers

Sounds like you actually did pretty good!
The low temp is within range, but may leave a slightly less malty flavor.
As for low volume, next time after your initial run-off, calculate how much more volume is needed to reach your pre-boil volume, and just add whatever that amount is. After the first running, there will be no more water absorption, so what ever you add, is how much you will get out. Adding water without running it through the grain doesn't gain anything, so I wouldn't do it.

Mashing lower (ie 148) will extract more fermentable sugars than you would at 152 and will result in a drier, more crisp beer. It will also potentially raise your abv.

You can add water, but it typically isnt recommended (due to sanitation). Typically the best option, if you dont hit your pre boil numbers is to monitor the gravity throughout the mash (a refractometer will help here but isnt necessary). If you're running high, then you can cut the boil early. If you are running low, you can boil longer or add some corn sugar.

But its not to say that is the only option though. Like I said, you can add water, but make sure to do it while the boil is still running so it can pasteurize. Otherwise, I would avoid (just my two cents).

Sounds like you're first AG is actually going pretty well! Good luck!

First off was bringing my strike water up to 160.9 give or take. Once i mashed in i took a temp reading of about 148.6 when my target was 152. how is that going to effect the end result and efficiency.

Second is it ok if I did not reach my target pre boil volume or SG or can i add water in the end to match OG and post boil volume?

Any input would be much appreciated as i look forward to improving and to make good all grain beers

Your strike temperature was way to low to reach 152 mash temps. Check the inputs you made to find what might have been off. Something like the current temperature of the grain.

Adding water to correct volume or SG depends on what those values are. Too much water with a low SG will make a very thin weak beer.

What was your preboil amount and gravity?

Take notes on what you achieve for your session, then make an/some adjustment(s). It will probably take a few brew sessions, making adjustments until you get things dialed in and start hitting your numbers.

Your strike temperature was way to low to reach 152 mash temps. Check the inputs you made to find what might have been off. Something like the current temperature of the grain.

Adding water to correct volume or SG depends on what those values are. Too much water with a low SG will make a very thin weak beer.

What was your preboil amount and gravity?

Take notes on what you achieve for your session, then make an/some adjustment(s). It will probably take a few brew sessions, making adjustments until you get things dialed in and start hitting your numbers.

Pre boil was about 7.75 gal with a gravity of 1.066

So I had noting better to do today, so I figured Id give my brew stand that I've been building a test run and try my hands at my 1st all grain brew.

I made my one recipe up on beer smith ( I'd like to upload it to see how bad you guys think it is) and went and bought the grains and hops at a local brew store.

I am currently boiling and about to add my first additions as i write this but there are a few things that have gone wrong so far.

Good times on the new rig...right on.

I regularly mash at 148 for Blonde and Pale...it makes a nice dry beer with a light body. Higher temps will result in a fuller body and a sweeter beer. Next time strike a bit higher if you want to hit 152...like 162-165.

You can certainly add water. You can add it preboil or to your fermenter. I have done both with great success. I would avoid doing what was described above (cutting the boil time) because your hops schedule depends on it. I would add water preboil and just settle on a lower abv my self.

If you aerate that wort and pitch some good yeast and keep your fermentation temp under control I'd bet you end up with a good beer (depending on the water you used).

I too would highly recommend that you take precise measurements/notes at each stage of the game so you can dial in beersmith.

Pre boil was about 7.75 gal with a gravity of 1.066

This is more wort than I collect for a 5+ gallon batch. What was the predicted preboil gravity.

These numbers sound very good for approximately a 5.75 to 6.0 gallon batch of an average gravity ale. Unless you are doing a 1.5 hour boil...

You will need to give more information about the recipe and desired results to get quality answers.

At that gravity and pre-boil volume, that would actually be shaping up to be a fairly high-gravity batch if it's anything around 6 gallons post-boil...

Cheers!

Back