1st All Grain Keg Setup Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reLAXin230

Reaction score
Hey I just got two kegs (legit) so I can convert them over for all grain brewing. I plan on converting the first keg to a keggle. For the MLT, I don't know if I should use the 2nd keg and convert it, or if I should buy a cooler and convert that. I plan on batch sparging. My concern with using the 2nd keg as the MLT is loss of heat during the sparge. Do you suggest I convert the 2nd keg to a MLT and try to insulate it, or should I just get a cooler to convert? Thanks a lot for the help advice, as this is my first post.:ban:

Also, will a Bayou Classic SP10 burner work with a keggle? Thanks

Well, if you plan to run your sweet wort off into your keggle then that eliminates the keggle for pulling double duty as you Hot Liquor Tank. No biggie really as you can use buckets until you are finished heating sparge water.
You could consider getting a cooler/MLT and making your 2nd legit keg into your Hot Liquor Tank. Then you can runoff right into your keggle and put a little heat to your first runnings while finishing your sparge.
But there are many options. It just depends on how you want to heat your water and collect your wort.
As for the burner I am not positive but several folks on here use it with no issues.

Congrats on the kegs!

SP10 will NOT work with a keggle, without some sort of modification, the stand won't support it.

I agree with Hawgbranch - second keggle as your HLT, and go with a cooler conversion for your MLT. Another option, if you're going with 10 gallon batches is to turn it into a fermenter! ;)

Latest posts

Back