1liter(o.26gal) starsan in my 20 liter batch :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
Yes I was stuped enough to forget to remove my blowofftube from fermenter when coldcrashing after dryhopping.
When I did rack it to my cornykeg last night I discovered that the pet bottle was empty and there had been 1liter of starsan during fermentation.

The IPA tasted ok nice and fruity. I listened to a episode ofrewing network the sessio,The Session 03-19-06 Sanitation w/ Charlie Talley. Charlie the starsun inventer kemist had sminteresting things to say about pbw and starsan. Check it out if you have not.
After listening to the show i feel pretty confident in drinking the beer.
If the starsan be consumed as it is( not consentrated) can' t it be to bad if 1 liter is mixed with 20 liter of beer?!

Anyone done anything similar stuped? Please let me know and we can share the stupidety-award this year:)

Cheers

I would think you are ok. StarSan is a contact sanitizer and is food safe, otherwise we wouldnt want to rack beer on it. Unless you where to chug the whole bottle in its concentrated form, it shouldnt make a difference. If anything, read the labels on the back or see if there is some kind of data sheet online saying if there is a level deemed unsafe for consumption.
I would be more worried if it was PBW. That stuff is hardcore, but even then, there has to be some kind of food safety to it if we can use it around the beer and not get sick...
You wanna know something stupid? I built myself an immersion chiller once using some copper from a local hardware store. After making my chiller, I put it right in my batch of beer without thinking, and without cleaning it... Im sure I dont have to tell you how dirty that tubing can be when you first get it... I will say that boiling wort does a very good job at cleaning copper...

Yes i guess it's ok to drink, but somehow it feels hard to enjoy knowing there is starsan in it. Should be no danger if ph is above 3.5

Heard about that copper story from other people too...lve and learn and do more stuped things:)

I did that once and the beer came out fine. I had cold crashed an Irish Ale without removing the blowoff hose in 1L of starsan. Everything got sucked into the beer. I did not taste any off flavors.

Ben there, done that. I had left a little starsan in my fermenter to shake around then dump right before I filled it... I got company, got rushed, forgot it was in there... beer came out fine! Diluted properly the actual amount in .25 gallons is .0625oz if properly mixed(and my brain dead math is right...). Like a half teaspoon or less!

Back