1lb shy!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrewdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, today I brewed my pumpkin ale, its calls for 6.0 LME and 1lb DME, and steeping around 2lbs grains. I actually got about 6.3 or 6.4 LME and completely forgot my 1lb DME!!! How bad will this hurt me?

It will just be a little light on the alcohol but shouldnt hurt the flavor so you would notice.

Was it light DME or darker? Might affect the color if it was amber or dark.

LME and DME both were amber, I made this last year, the first recipe that I made on my own. I can handle a little less alcohol, but the flavor is my main concern, this beer is freakin delicious. I also have 3 oz hops and some spices.

I transfered to secondary and out tasted good, a little thin but I know carbonation will change this alot. Should I expect alot less body with 1lb dme missing?

you can always add more if this happens again...here is how you do it, brew your beer, realize you forgot a pound of DME...no problem, tomorrow run to LHBS buy 1lb DME.
If it is within 3 days of pitching yeast, boil 1lb of DME with enough water to cover it and get it boiling. boil it for 10-15min, cool it to fermentation temp, and throw it in your already fermenting beer...

Back