18% Sugar - Tempted to Dump the Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temple240

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

I generally wouldn't post a "should I dump it?" scenario but this one has me torn. I brewed a dark saison, similar to Northern Brewers Saison De Noel, that had more sugar in it than I have ever used in a brew. Sadly, my LHBS had a pretty terrible crush and my volumes were too high (overestimated boil-off for 90min boil) leaving me with a pathetic efficiency. Target OG was 1.072 but I ended up with 1.055. Normally I would be happy with a weaker beer but now my fermentables were around 18% simple sugar which makes me nervous. Here is the grain bill: (mashed at 148*F)

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 78.4 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 3.9 %
4.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) 2.0 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) 2.0 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) 7.8 %
12.0 oz Turbinado (10.0 SRM) 5.9 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 70.0 mi Hop 19.8 IBUs
0.40 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 5.9 IBUs
1.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8.8 IBUs

The beer is kegged and partially carbed. I tasted it the other night (after a few strong brews) and hated it. It was watery and tasted sort of like dirty water. I'm tempted to dump my first batch.

I know I should reserve judgement for when it's fully carbed but I'm looking for advice. Would some age be likely to help this beer? Will 18% simple sugar start giving people headaches?

Thanks

Give it more time and them taste it again. 18% sugar should not be a problem. A very typical Belgian tripel recipe is 80% pils and 20% sugar, and that is perfectly fine. I routinely make beers with 20% or even more sugar and they do not give people headaches.

How long since it was brewed? What yeast did you use? What was the FG? How long was it in the keg? A brew like that will benefit from some aging.

Give it more time and them taste it again. 18% sugar should not be a problem. A very typical Belgian tripel recipe is 80% pils and 20% sugar, and that is perfectly fine. I routinely make beers with 20% or even more sugar and they do not give people headaches.

How long since it was brewed? What yeast did you use? What was the FG? How long was it in the keg? A brew like that will benefit from some aging.

I think I let this one ferment for 3 weeks and then it was kegged and put in the fridge to carb for a week. The yeast was Wyeast 3726 with a 1.5L starter. I let it get up into the 80's, which was recommended for 3726.

It's in an extra keg so I can let it sit and age for awhile. I just don't know what to expect because I've never used this yeast or these sugars in a brew before.

edit: FG was 1.000

Back