18 Hours, No Airlock Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhollandcpa

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed an IPA and I am thinking I might have gone wrong somewhere.

I didnt have my chiller so I ended cooling in the snow, and I didnt get down to temperature that fast or really, at all. I actually went into the carboy probably at 130-140, and then let the carboy sit outside for about another hour. Then I pitched the yeast, my guess would be that it would have been below 100 but still not maybe ideal pitching temperature.

It is 18 hours later and no airlock activity, a little foam on the top but that seems to have been there since I rocked the carboy for aeration.

The yeast I used was S-05, it was re-hydrated. My house where the carboy has been sitting is about 66 on average.

My couple questions are:
What would some of you do in this situation?
I have a packet of S-04, should I pitch this if there is still no activity for another day or so? And would there still be oxygen in the wort for the yeast if I do?

Yeah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah, repitch if no airlock activity after another day? And is there going to be any issue with oxygen? Should I shake again or would that risk oxidation?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yesterday I brewed an IPA and I am thinking I might have gone wrong somewhere.

I didnt have my chiller so I ended cooling in the snow, and I didnt get down to temperature that fast or really, at all. I actually went into the carboy probably at 130-140, and then let the carboy sit outside for about another hour. Then I pitched the yeast, my guess would be that it would have been below 100 but still not maybe ideal pitching temperature.

Cooling in the kettle would drop the temp faster. Park a chair in the snow, stir slowly, while keeping loose snow packed against the kettle. a thermometer of some sort is handy to have around.
Pouring hot liquid into a cold glass carboy can cause stress fractures.

It is 18 hours later and no airlock activity, a little foam on the top but that seems to have been there since I rocked the carboy for aeration.

What is the current temperature of the wort? Might be to cool for active fermentation if it is below 60°.

The yeast I used was S-05, it was re-hydrated. My house where the carboy has been sitting is about 66 on average.

My couple questions are:
What would some of you do in this situation?
I have a packet of S-04, should I pitch this if there is still no activity for another day or so? And would there still be oxygen in the wort for the yeast if I do?

Might need to wait at minimum another day if the wort temperature is very low.

The wort may not need oxygenation if the specific gravity of your wort is less than 1.052. It would be safe to oxygenate the wort if no fermentation activity has begun.

Look up the yeast manufacturers directions for rehydration if you do pitch the S-04.

Good luck and be patient.

If the original yeast are indeed dead and you have had no fermentation, it would be ok to shake/stir if you decide to re-pitch. If possible it is best to verify with hydrometer readings (original vs. now) to be sure of no fermentation happening. If you don't have readings, give it another day, if still no activity I would call the original yeast dead and re-pitch.

Great, thank you all for your responses!

Be more patient, 18 hrs is not always enough time to see fermentation, that can take up to 48 hrs sometimes. After 48 hrs if you see NO fermentation starting at all, then sure mix it up well, and add some more.

I second being more patient. Then take a gravity reading to see if there has been any fermentation. If the gravity is the same after the 48 hours or so then I would consider pitching new yeast.

Thermometers and hydrometers are valuable tools in making good beer.

Good luck
:mug:

Just wanted to give an update. I have to admit you all were right. After 24 hours started seeing activity and after 36 it was chugging away. Many thanks.

Just wanted to give an update. I have to admit you all were right. After 24 hours started seeing activity and after 36 it was chugging away. Many thanks.

Glad to hear it. :rockin:

Back