160* Mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
How does one estimate the gravity points lost from mashing this high? I just checked my pot (BIAB) and found it's at about 159* after 30 mins.

Is there any point in bringing the temp down a little now?

I went ahead and added a little cool water and brought it down to 153*.

You should still get the correct SG or at least very close too it. It's the FG that will be high. I don't think there is any way to get an exact number though.

What about doing another mash at lower temps 146-148F and combining them for a double batch? So you'll get a lot of fermentable and unfermentable sugars. Could make for an interesting beer.

I'm by no means an expert here, but your gravity points won't be lost. By mashing at the higher temp you will have less fermentable sugars, therefore your final gravity will be higher than you expected, and the beer will be 'full bodied' and somewhat sweeter.

Is there any point in bringing the temp down a little now?

I went ahead and added a little cool water and brought it down to 153*.

After 30min, the damage is done. Dropping the temp now won't really accomplish anything. You were in that higher temp range for too long already. A few minutes and it would probably be ok, but 30min.... sorry.

I might get clobbered for this but you have two options, maybe three.

1) Continue the brew process and bottle once fermented

2) In the last minute of the boil dissolve a pound of common table sugar. It's easily fermentable and will dry the beer out a little. I say pound, there might be better recommedations

3) Do neither of the above just drop a tab or two of common Gas-X drugstore indgriedent. The enzymes in this will further break down the high starches in the wort and let the yeast eat them. It's either an Alpha or Beta enzyme I don't remember which. I think beta. Truly experimental. Not much I have found published on the subject. The consequence is it could dry the beer to much and you'd end up with mostly alcohol and not much flavor

Thanks for the advice!

I had measured out 6 oz of table sugar, which is waiting for the aroma addition. I figured having such a high IBU IPA needs to have some backbone too. Maybe I ought to bring it up to 1/2 lb? A pound seems a bit much, and I didn't want it to get quite to IIPA range as I wanted to see how high IBU's effects a more typical IPA (this one was to be 6.4%).

*Edit*
So I increased it to 12 oz since I'm unsure of how much sugars I left behind with a higher mash temp.

Many big IPA recipes call for simple sugar anyway. I'd add at least a pound if I mashed to high...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lagunitas does not mash lower that 158 in any of there beers.

You will have a full boded beer with a slightly high FG.

Looking at the date this beer should be consuming right now!
Let us know how it turned out!!

I don't get this sugar-thing. I know the yeast will eat it up. But lets say you have an original mash of 100% unfermentables (just numbers to make this example easy). Then add some sugars. You raise the OG, those sugars will be eaten up, but those sugars (the 100% unfermentables) which were in your original mash will still be there?

I can't see how this would dry out a beer more than originally. FG would still be the same?

I don't get this sugar-thing. I know the yeast will eat it up. But lets say you have an original mash of 100% unfermentables (just numbers to make this example easy). Then add some sugars. You raise the OG, those sugars will be eaten up, but those sugars (the 100% unfermentables) which were in your original mash will still be there?

I can't see how this would dry out a beer more than originally. FG would still be the same?

Since alcohol is thinner than water (lower gravity) adding simple, near 100% fermentable sugar results in lower final gravity even though it raises the original gravity. If you also add water you can counter the effect of raising the original gravity and just make more beer. Either way, the body of the beer will be lighter...

Since alcohol is thinner than water (lower gravity) adding simple, near 100% fermentable sugar results in lower final gravity even though it raises the original gravity. If you also add water you can counter the effect of raising the original gravity and just make more beer. Either way, the body of the beer will be lighter...

Ooh! Thanks!

Back