~15KW heater with tro-clover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSipper

Reaction score
Has anyone seen an immersion heater with a triclover fitting in the 15kw range? Can't seem to find one and don't want to use multiples. (yes I need that big for something)

You could build one. Mine is 2" TC flange welded back to back with a 3/4" pipe attached. Theoretically, you could build one large enough to fit the element and wiring you want. Does the 15 KW element have the same 1" straight pipe thread as a water heater element? If so Bobby at Brewhardware sells the end cap already threaded for the 2" TC.

IMG_7784.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

I think the low watt density 15k element would be hard to find never mind the ideal ULWD element... I know they make bigger elements though.. I think stout uses bigger ones in their electric setups.

You'd probably have to look at a supplier for commercial brewing equipment. I'm not an electrician and my knowledge is a bit limited beyond 120vac, but I believe you might need a 3 phase power supply to use them. Here's some examples, http://www.brewmation.com/Components.cfm

Thanks, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. 3 phase elements are just 3 single phase elements stuck into one package. I know they can just be wired by ganging the 6 terminals into two (3/3), not sure if there's a output loss though since 3 phase has some overlap

As you say it is just 3 heaters in a single package and you have complete flexibility if all 6 leads are brought out. OTOH if only four are brought out you must wire in Y configuration. If only three are brought out you are stuck with Delta. The power developed is 3 times the voltage applied across an element times the current the element draws. There is no 'overlap'. Now if you have a heater with three elements and wire it Y in a 120V (N to ø i.e. each element between a phase and neutral) you will get 3*I*120 watts out of it but if you wire it ∆, each element across 2 phases, you will get 3 times as much power because the voltage across each element is now √3 times higher. Note the similarity to a biphase system where the power goes up by a factor of 4 (because the phases are 180 ° apart rather than 120 °).

Three phase elements can be wired with single phase supply?

Yes, as explained in No. 6.

But I see I made a mistake in that post. If 4 wires are brought out you have the choice of a Y or ∆ connection.

The fact that you ask this question indicates that you should not attempt to install such a heater without consulting someone who knows what he is doing (licensed electrician or engineer).

No, they aren't any less "powerful". A heater with resistance R will deliver V*V/R watts whenever V volts is applied to it whether that be from a single phase or 3ø system. 3ø systems are used because less copper is required to deliver a given amount of power than is required in 1ø system (and motor starting is easier). As per No. 6 suppose you are in a large building that supplies 120 volts to outlets derived from a 120V Y connection to a 3 ø source and that you have 3 heating elements with 10Ω resistance. If you connect each element to a 120 V outlet (hot to neutral) it will draw 120/10 = 12 A and produce 12*120 = 1.44 kW. As there are 3 of these you will get 4.32 KW total. If, however, you connect a heater between two legs of the Y (two hots) you will be applying √3*120V = 208 V so the current is now 12*√3 = 20.7846 A and the power dissipated by the heater is √3*120*12*√3 = 4.32 KW i.e. 3 times what it dissipates if connected from a hot to neutral. Can the heater handle that much? Better be sure before you connect it this way. Connect up all three heaters this way and you would have 3*4.22 = 12.66 kW dissipated. Note that rather than imposing the total current burden on two legs of the Y you would connect 1 heater across each pair (A - B, B -C, C -A).

Now suppose you had a split phase (single phase) system. The situation with the 120 V connection would be the same - 1.44 kW per heater. But connecting the heater across the hots instead of hot to neutral doubles the voltage (because in the split phase system the two hots are 180° apart in phase as opposed to 120° in the 3 ø system) and the power quadruples as opposed to tripling in the 3 ø system. Thus, apparently, the heaters are MORE "powerful" in a 1 ø system than a 3 ø system except, of course, they aren't. They are the same heaters either way.

Last edited:
Take a look at what Chromalox has. They have screw plug versions that you can just thread a TC adapter onto to convert to tri clamp connection assuming you are ok having threads on the hot side. They may be able to provide ones with a tri clamp, but would a special order.

https://www.chromalox.com/-/media/files/catalog/resources/en-us/mod-armts-3.pdf

https://www.chromalox.com/en/catalo...rrosive-solution-applications?kw=15&volts=240
also High watt density=no good for wort

Back