American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am new to the Brewers Friend software and a fairly new brewer, so apologies if this question seems silly. Here goes:

Want to make a 2.5 gallon version of this 15 min recipe but am trying to up the alcohol content. Using the BF software I scaled everything then went in and mucked about with the LME/DME amounts to get a higher OG based in what I have at hand.

But man it seems like a lot! Will this recipe work at all?

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
Target ABV: 6.12%

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (67.4%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (22.5%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.45 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (10.1%)

HOPS:
1.14 oz - Cascade, Boil for 15 min
0.45 oz - Cascade, Boil for 5 min
0.23 oz - Cascade, Boil for 0 min
0.68 oz - Cascade, Dry Hop for 7 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tab - Whirlfloc , Time: 15 min, Type: Fining

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

Any thoughts or wisdom shared will be appreciated!

I brewed a ~2.5gal batch of this 3 days ago and have attached a picture that may help you, or maybe not?

Here are the differences:

Boil size: 3 gallons
Batch size: 2.5 gallons (when I rack off primary trub)
Used 3lbs of Light DME only

HOPS:
1.25 oz - Cascade, Boil for 15 min
0.5 oz - Cascade, Boil for 5 min
0.5 oz - Cascade, Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Fuggle, Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
Notty Ale Yeast (made a starter)

Questions I have for the group: look at the picture. After 48 hours is my primary really done? Or should I give it some more time to rack to secondary? I'm trying to "rush" this beer in the spirit of this being a time saver brew.

72hw, good luck with your quest to brew this tipsier than my recipe - I'm sure it'll come out great :D:rockin::drunk:

IMG_2245.JPG

I brewed a ~2.5gal batch of this 3 days ago and have attached a picture that may help you, or maybe not?

HOPS:

YEAST:

Questions I have for the group: look at the picture. After 48 hours is my primary really done? Or should I give it some more time to rack to secondary? I'm trying to "rush" this beer in the spirit of this being a time saver brew.

72hw, good luck with your quest to brew this tipsier than my recipe - I'm sure it'll come out great :D:rockin::drunk:

I would definitely give it more time. Even if fermentation is complete the yeast clean up off tasting by products post fermentation. How quickly are you trying to have a finished product?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

HOPS:

YEAST:

I would definitely give it more time. Even if fermentation is complete the yeast clean up off tasting by products post fermentation. How quickly are you trying to have a finished product?

I finally jumped on the bandwagon. I usually like trying the original recipe prior to altering but decided to use Amarillo instead of cascade. Here is the recipe I used:

7.2 lbs of LME
.5 lbs of crystal 40 (I wanted a lighter color)
3 oz Amarillo at 20 min
1 oz Amarillo at 5 min
1 oz Amarillo at 0 min
S-05 yeast

The sample from the kettle tasted wonderful. Will post again once it's kegged.

Brewing this tonight. I have a party planned on 11/1 and need something kegged by then. Weekends are booked and I already have 6 lbs of DME, so I'm abandoning my AG ways to make this quick batch.

Speaking of mosaic.....

I brewed this 8 days ago with mosaic up front and homegrown wet chinook at flameout. S-05 at 62 degrees for 6 days, cold crash 1 day and kegged / forced carb'd on day 7 and drinking this now! Gotta say, it's freekin good.

View attachment 137066

Thanks wcarter.

I was wondering if 3.5 weeks would be too soon to drink this. Your post makes me feel much better :mug:

Have now made many versions of this 15-minute boil recipe. Love it as an easy alternative to a long all-grain brew day. And the results are consistently great. This one's a favorite and rivals any all grain IPA I make.

Here's my go to 15-minute Amarillo IPA recipe:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.1%

6 Gallons at end of boil
5.5 into fermenter

9lbs Breiss Light DME

2.5oz Amarillo 15min
1.5oz Amarillo 5min
2oz Amarillo 0min (40 min hop stand)
1.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop

If you want a really quick brew day, try this as a no chill brew. You'll be in and out in less than 2 hours. Not sure about no chill brewing? Check out the September BYO and you'll be sold.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413004429.971619.jpg

Have now made many versions of this 15-minute boil recipe. Love it as an easy alternative to a long all-grain brew day. And the results are consistently great. This one's a favorite and rivals any all grain IPA I make.

Here's my go to 15-minute Amarillo IPA recipe:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.1%

6 Gallons at end of boil
5.5 into fermenter

9lbs Breiss Light DME

2.5oz Amarillo 15min
1.5oz Amarillo 5min
2oz Amarillo 0min (40 min hop stand)
1.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop

If you want a really quick brew day, try this as a no chill brew. You'll be in and out in less than 2 hours. Not sure about no chill brewing? Check out the September BYO and you'll be sold.

View attachment 228851

Do you use any specialty grains?

Just kegged for my first time with this beer I love it ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413841226.787623.jpg I used the original recipe I got 6.5 abv tho

As I said above, I took this concept and applied it to a different style- in this case, mild.

Expedient Mild (2 Gallons):
2 LBS Briess Gold LME
2 OZ Crystal 40L
2 OZ Crystal 120L
2 OZ Special Roast (to add a little malt that you might not get from American LME)
1 OZ Black Patent

1 OZ Fuggle @ 15 minutes.

Cool and rack to two one gallon glass jugs, pitch 1/2 packet S04 into each jug.

I am happy to report that it is very tasty. I was worried the hops might overwhelm everything else, but the darker malts still stick out quite nicely. A beer judge might say it has too much in the flavor hop area to be a mild, but if you want a flavorful brown ale that you could drink all day (It came out about 3.0% ABV), this one's for you.

Thanks for this recipe. I brewed this up today.

I did everything per the original recipe but I'm going with Pacman yeast, and used crystal 40 instead of the 60. I eye balled the DME and ended up at 1062. I plan to do 30 days at 62 degrees F. Thanks again!

Tapped this last week and killed it during a party we hosted yesterday. All positive reviews from our guests. I am considering this a staple going forward.

I tried this at about 3 weeks old and I was not impressed at all. Fast forward 2 weeks and it's one of my favorite pale ales that I've made. Thanks OP.

I combined a similar recipe as this one with the technique talked about in this article, "Make Beer, Not Starters." I figured this is basically like making a gallon starter with some hops. It took about the same time, the only thing that added time was I did a 30 mins hop stand at the end.

Anyway, I had some year old yeast that I wanted to get up to pitchable levels for an IPA I wanted to make. I made a couple small steps to get enough yeast to save some yeast for later and to pitch into a gallon of a similar recipe as this one so that I'd get enough yeast for a 5 gal IPA later and about a gallon of a pale ale to drink now. I lowered the gravity to 1.038 and used citra and changed the amounts to get to about 50 IBUs. I'm hoping to brew on Sunday, so I will probably move it to secondary (I may dry hop with a small amount of hops) and then use the entire yeast cake in the IPA. If the 15 minute boil beer tastes good, I may use this to try new hops I'd like to use.

Had a couple hours on Christmas eve to brew up a batch. I used crystal 20 along with centennial, amarillo and citra as that's what I had in the freezer. I also tried to do a hop stand for the first time and that seemed to work well. The airlock smells AMAZING after 24 hours!

Thanks OP!

I brewed 2.5 gallons a few weeks ago but I used all Chinook instead of Cascade. Sample after 10 days was darn tasty! I dry hopped with Cascade and I'll be kegging it tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Every allgrainer will eventually do an extract apa...I converted one of my apa all grain recipes and its very similar...steep grains at 2 gallons water per pound...except I do a full 60 minute boil and add lme at flameout.

Just did this again but with some midnight wheat for color and a bit of roast (love it for CDA's).

I added a bit (14grams) of Warrior at the 15min addition and subbed Mosaic for the 10 and 5 min additions.
Hopstand for 20 minutes with 1.5oz of cascade and mosaic.

I'll probably dry hop with all 3 in a couple weeks.

Even with the hopstand, clean up and unorganized start it was still less than 3 hours to brew this.

Thanks again!

Kegged my CDA version if this and it's so good! I'm taking it to my homebrew club AGM next week and hope to get some feedback from judges and/or pros. I could see this easily getting 35-40 points in a contest.

I am carbing up my recent batch. Mine used one pound of C-40, S-05, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade and El Dorado in the 20 minute boil and dry hopped with 1/2 oz Chinook, Cascade, Ahtanaum for 11 days with Amarillo, Citra and El Dorado with a 6 day dry hop. Will see how it turns out on sunday. Should be fruity.

I recently did this with Citra and it's fantastic. I've also used the same method a few times to make a Belgian Strong and that's been excellent too. I think this method is great. Don't be afraid to make a nice, quick extract beer with some DME on your stovetop.

I brewed 2.5 gallons a few weeks ago but I used all Chinook instead of Cascade. Sample after 10 days was darn tasty! I dry hopped with Cascade and I'll be kegging it tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Delicious! Brought a growler to a party and people were really impressed that I made it. You can't go wrong with this recipe!

After reading all 40 pages, I can not wait to brew this one, sounds like just what I love.

Fermenter: None
Secondary: Zombie Dust
Kegged: None
Tap #1 Pale house rock
Tap #2 waiting

I plugged this recipe into Beer Smith and my numbers are off. The O.G. is low as well as the I.B.U.s. I've triple checked my boil volume, trub loss, fermenter loss, & boil off I'm still learning Beer Smith so any ideas on what I'm missing would be great!

BEER SMITH

Boil Vol: 6.29
Boil Off: .06
Post Boil: 6.24
Shrinkage: .25
Trub Loss: .5
Top Up: 0.00
Batch Vol: 5.50
Fermenter Loss: 0.50
Bottling: 5.0

Ingredients and schedule as written in recipe.

Est. O.G.: 1.045
I.B.U.s: 33.0
Color:10.8

V.S. RECIPE

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 36.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 15
Color: 12 Copper to Red to Lt Brown

Any ideas where I went wrong?
I'm a whole 10 points off on O.G.!

I'm going to try a variation on this that doesn't have any steeping.

6.6# Briess Rye LME (20% rye, 10% crystal 20)
2# Briess Munich LME (50% Munich)

2 ounce centennial at 15
1 ounce Citra at 5
0.5 ounce Citra at 0
1 oz Citra dry hop

I couldn't find anyone that did a Rye version. I think this might give a nice balance of rye, a small amount of crystal, and the malty Munich. The final will be 11% Munich, 15% rye, 7.5% c-20.

I'll report back.

I did this but in reverse. 6.6 light lme, 1.65 rye, steeped some wheat though and used sazz and Pacific jade. Interested to see how this comes out!

I ended up getting first place in pale ales at bluebonnet brewoff with my variation of this recipe. 4 hops in the boil, 6 differnt hops 1/2 oz dryhopped and used 1 lb c-40 and S-05 yeast. Still not sure how many beers it was up against, but it was a total winner at my house.

Unfortunately, a leaky tap let the last gallon go into keezer. Fortunately, this recipe is entirely repeatable.

Back