15 gallons into carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbdist

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time trying to make wine. I am making 15 gallons of merlot in a 60 liter plastic container. I have racked it once. On my next racking I was thinking about splitting it into 3-5 gallon carboys. Adding oak into one and ? (any recommendations) into the other and leave the last one as I started to make it. Would it matter that I am splitting to smaller carboys. Would it hurt the wine? Does this make sense?

Thank,

Bryan

Hi pbdist: Go ahead & split that 15 gallon batch, it'll be fine. You might want to sufite it when you do to protect it from oxidation. I learned that the hard way once. Oak sounds like a good idea for a merlot, Though I'm not sure what would go well in your 2nd carbouy of merlot. I suppose you could use American oak in 1 & French oak in the other to see which you like better, or maybe even split that 2nd carbouy into 1 gallon jugs for further & more radical experimentation. Maybe add some honey, or spices, or even herbs? Maybe use 1 gallon for a gluhwein base during the holidays? Or you could just leave it as is & let it age for several years; you might be surprised at the difference in taste between a young merlot & one that's 10 years old. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back