15 gallon kegs for homebrewing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey was wondering are there 15gallon kegs that can get for my homebrews that i can use like the 5gallon homebrewing pin/ball and lock kegs? cause i been brewing for about a year now and i have a 2 5 gallon kegs but they run out way to dang fast for the time it takes to make it .. so i want to start making 15 gallon batchs and throw it in a 15gallon keg....

Just use a sanke keg and a sanke tap, it's not too expensive and works nearly the same !

you can get sanke kegs and convert them. look for posts with "keggles" as the key word. many of us here have 2-3 of them, and there are plans to build them all over the net

oh i did not know i coudl get it as a sanke ... for me either or works cause i have my kegerator set up so i can switch between sanke or pin and lock connectors... now are there any sites that i can buy a keg already made?

you can get sanke kegs and convert them. look for posts with "keggles" as the key word. many of us here have 2-3 of them, and there are plans to build them all over the net

the only think i found under keggles is kegs cut open to be used to boil wort in... im not looking to use the 15gallon kegs for boiling wort.. im looking for putting the finshed fermented beer in the 15gallon keg to put it into my kegerator...

Check Craigslist, scrap yards, & friends $40 is the going rate. MAKE SURE to purge the pressure before you remove the spear, check it out on YouTube, it's super easy and requires no extra $ !!

One more thing - you don't HAVE to put 15 gallons in, you can put in 10, 12 or whatever !!

I see you live in RI. What part?

I've tried to look for sanke kegs with no luck. Places either don't have them or they are too expensive. Newport Storm repairs all their bad ones, Harpoon does have some once in a while but you have to catch them on a good week because they ship them off to a scrap yard every so often, scrap yards around here don't usually have them but when they do they are selling them for too much money. No one on Craigslist around here sells them.

Check the classifieds at the bottom of the main page, I saw some on there earlier. Cheers:)

well once i buy the keg what do i have to do to it ? so i can open it up and seal it back up so i can refill it wiht whatever brew?

I see you live in RI. What part?

I've tried to look for sanke kegs with no luck. Places either don't have them or they are too expensive. Newport Storm repairs all their bad ones, Harpoon does have some once in a while but you have to catch them on a good week because they ship them off to a scrap yard every so often, scrap yards around here don't usually have them but when they do they are selling them for too much money. No one on Craigslist around here sells them.

im in woonsocket, now what about harpoon, who would i call about that? how much do they charge for a keg?

baddagger said:
im in woonsocket, now what about harpoon, who would i call about that? how much do they charge for a keg?

Im in Lincoln.

I don't know exactly but I think $30. They don't have them often because they fix them or bring them to the scrap yard. I think I called their number on the website and talked to the brewing operation manager.

so once i get one of these keg what do i have to do to it so i can refill it and seal it up then use it in my kegerator?

hey was wondering are there 15gallon kegs that can get for my homebrews that i can use like the 5gallon homebrewing pin/ball and lock kegs? cause i been brewing for about a year now and i have a 2 5 gallon kegs but they run out way to dang fast for the time it takes to make it .. so i want to start making 15 gallon batchs and throw it in a 15gallon keg....

I would just use 3 5-gal Cornelius kegs. They are easy to move around, easy to clean etc.
I brew 10 gal batches in a keggle made out of a Sanke keg, ferment the beer in 2 5-gal fermenting buckets, and then keg it in 2 5-gal Cornelius kegs. I really like this system.

I would just use 3 5-gal Cornelius kegs. They are easy to move around, easy to clean etc.
I brew 10 gal batches in a keggle made out of a Sanke keg, and then ferment the beer in 2 5-gal fermenting buckets, and keg it in 2 5-gal Cornelius kegs. I really like this system.

i already have 5 gallon kegs.. and i want to start using 15gallon kegs instead ...

does anybody know what i need to do with a 15.5 sanky keg so i can refill them and seal them so i can use it in my kegerator

and if someone is goign to respond about anything other then what im asking please dont.. cause i want to use 15gallon kegs

baddagger said:
so once i get one of these keg what do i have to do to it so i can refill it and seal it up then use it in my kegerator?

Basically there is a metal ring that holds the sankey tube in place...you need a screw driver and a good pair of needle nose pliers to get it off...I know there is a YouTube video out there showing you how to do it...fill it up put the tube and ring back in place...takes some patience to get it back in...Its easier if someone helps you

That is it

A great resource to find some cheap...is a college campus...college kids seem to always have them....I just offered them $20 and they didn't flinch

There is a specific snap ring tool that will remove/replace the clip.

you need a screw driver and a good pair of needle nose pliers to get it off...I know there is a YouTube video out there showing you how to do it...fill it up put the tube and ring back in place...takes some patience to get it back in...Its easier if someone helps you

That is it

A great resource to find some cheap...is a college campus...college kids seem to always have them....I just offered them $20 and they didn't flinch

i already have 5 gallon kegs.. and i want to start using 15gallon kegs instead ...

does anybody know what i need to do with a 15.5 sanky keg so i can refill them and seal them so i can use it in my kegerator

and if someone is goign to respond about anything other then what im asking please dont.. cause i want to use 15gallon kegs

Videos on you tube how to open them. I watched a video or two and have it done to a screw driver and a pair of pliers to open and close them. Only takes only a minute or so.

well i found this video.. so im guessing this is all i have to do to to be able to fill up a 15.5 gallon keg and keep it under pressure after resealing it?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380&feature=related]How to open and reassemble a Sanke keg - YouTube[/ame]

Just please make sure the keg is not stolen. Most kegs you will come across are stolen. To make sure they are not stolen, buy from a reputable place like Kegs.com.

If you buy a keg full of beer, and you don't return the keg, you have stolen a keg from a brewery that paid about $130 for it. Please don't steal kegs.

Forrest

so with what is showen in the video i linked ..is that all i need to do to use a 15.5 gallon keg at home? to open and refill and seal back up and keep it under pressure?

You can cut the sanke fitting out leaving a hole that you can use a corny top in. Drill two holes, then install your gas and liquid tap fittings. The most difficult part is marking the hole for the corny top.

I would think your only other concern would be cleaning it. Pop the valve to flush / sanitize, fill, re-install valve to pressurize.

The kegs.com sankey keg has a big fitting in that manner but it's $369.
I'd rather flush the keg and sanitize or boil in it.
You can cut the sanke fitting out leaving a hole that you can use a corny top in. Drill two holes, then install your gas and liquid tap fittings. The most difficult part is marking the hole for the corny top.

I manage a restaurant in central florida so I looked at our receipts from the beer distributors. we pay for the price of the beer (usually 86 -144) plus a deposit for the keg. the deposit is credited when they pick them up. Our deposit is $30. I gave the owner 30 bucks and I took home a nice clean sam adams one. if you have a friend in

ForumRunner_20111228_215201.jpg

the restaurant biz it may be worth asking them.

Yeah that is true. It is definitely a gray area. At least I didn't steal it... :)

nianticcardplayer said:
Too Bad these guys won't sell to homebrewers...... PubKeg

Or these guys...... Plastic Kegs America

Also way to many arguements about desposits and such on the kegs, deposit is not a purchase.....just saying....

I have read here that in new york, at least, the deposit is in fact a purchase. Search for posts by airborneguy. He's an nyc cop iirc, and he bothered doing some research on the matter.

As I said way to many arguments I am in Illinois and I know here at least the deposit is a security return guarantee not a purchase. So here it would not be purchased. There are fifty states and plenty of territories each has their own unique laws

Back