15-gallon brew kettle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I'm hoping to upgrade my brew kettle in a month or so and I've been looking at some of what's available. I'm looking for a nice 15-gallon SS brew kettle that includes a ball valve and thermometer. So far, I've found...

Megapot 1.2
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-with-ball-valve-brewing-thermometer.html
At $309 before shipping it's kinda pricey. Also noticed it's not as thick as some.

SS Brewing (hoped to have won that contest lol)
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/kettles/products/copy-of-ss-brew-kettle-15-gallon
I like the fact this comes with a false bottom and dam, so for cleaner wort going into the fermenter.

Spike Brewing
http://spikebrewing.com/collections...5-gallon-home-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers
I think my last kettle came from Spike (can't remember it was so long ago), but it's aluminum and I'd like to switch.

I'd be interested in hearing your advice or suggestions on the topic and if anyone has personal experience with either of these (or any other manufacturer) so I can make up my mind. Thanks!

If you're going to do 10 gallon batches I would go with a 20 gallon kettle. That way you don't have to worry about boil over and you could do longer boils of 90 or 120 minutes pretty easily. I often push my 15 gallon to the limit. I also use anti-foam sometimes to avoid boiling over.

If you're going to do 10 gallon batches I would go with a 20 gallon kettle. That way you don't have to worry about boil over and you could do longer boils of 90 or 120 minutes pretty easily. I often push my 15 gallon to the limit. I also use anti-foam sometimes to avoid boiling over.

Haven't done a 10 gallon batch yet. I may in the future though. For now, just sticking with 5 gallon batches. I'm currently using a 13-gal aluminum kettle. It's very wide and is awkward to empty into a fermenter.

I just went through a similar assessment. Bru Gear, Stout, and Blichman were all also on my list, as well as keggle options and numerous "shop branded" kettles. I believe we have the same kettle currently, as I too have an aluminum Spike's kettle that is 13 gallons and was purchase a few years back.

I ultimately chose to go with Spike's. For a welded kettle they seem to present the best value in the higher end kettles, at least for the options I wanted (mashtun with false bottom and temp probe, HLT and BE with temp probe and sight glass). I also was able to get some customization done, which was a plus for me, as I wanted a triclamp for a heating element, and I wanted the temp probes moved to the rear of the kettles to shorten my wire runs.

That's awesome we're using the same kettle. So you can appreciate why I want to upgrade.

Is this it?

2012-06-04-212919-64639.jpg

Thanks for your recommendation on Spike's kettle. I have a few questions:

• How do you like it so far?
  • Do you notice an improvement on clearer wort going to fermenter?
  • Does it heat up faster?
  • Is it easy to clean?

That's awesome we're using the same kettle. So you can appreciate why I want to upgrade.

Is this it?

2012-06-04-212919-64639.jpg

Thanks for your recommendation on Spike's kettle. I have a few questions:

• How do you like it so far?
  • Do you notice an improvement on clearer wort going to fermenter?
  • Does it heat up faster?
  • Is it easy to clean?

That is the one! I put a sight glass and ball valve on mine a while back, but its the same kettle. I was even trying to do it on an electric stove, just like you!

I cant speak for the quality of the new kettles, Im still waiting on them! I ordered them right before Christmas, but since they had some custom welds, it was supposed to take a couple weeks. They should ship sometime this week though.

I might post a review of my kettles separate, but I will probably forget. You could definitely monitor my build thread for more information as I get them in. I chatted with Ben quite a bit prior to ordering, and he seems to be pretty on top of it, and the pictures I have seen of the new kettles are gorgeous!

I just purchased a 10-gallon SS kettle from Spike with sight glass. Using it for the first time this morning and it's a damn nice kettle. Excellent welds, beautiful sight glass and thick gauge SS compared to the pot I was using before. I purchased fittings (ball valve, etc.) from Brew Hardware, as they are about half price vs. Spike.

Wreck99... I would go with Spike. I have decided when I can get the $ together to go that with those. I currently use Keggles for HLT+BK and a 10gal cooler. CorwinGraves just posted a review on his 10gal, and another posted his approval of the 15gal in Corwin's post. They are a decent price, and are actually the 2nd version of the SS kettles now. I just missed getting the $ together for a Version 1 SS On Sale this fall when he upgraded to Version 2. And looking at the info and a few reviews here on HBT. I have chosen to go that route.

Hey HBT,

I'm hoping to upgrade my brew kettle in a month or so and I've been looking at some of what's available. I'm looking for a nice 15-gallon SS brew kettle that includes a ball valve and thermometer. So far, I've found...

Megapot 1.2
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-with-ball-valve-brewing-thermometer.html
At $309 before shipping it's kinda pricey. Also noticed it's not as thick as some.

SS Brewing (hoped to have won that contest lol)
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/kettles/products/copy-of-ss-brew-kettle-15-gallon
I like the fact this comes with a false bottom and dam, so for cleaner wort going into the fermenter.

Spike Brewing
http://spikebrewing.com/collections...5-gallon-home-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers
I think my last kettle came from Spike (can't remember it was so long ago), but it's aluminum and I'd like to switch.

I'd be interested in hearing your advice or suggestions on the topic and if anyone has personal experience with either of these (or any other manufacturer) so I can make up my mind. Thanks!

I'm not an expert but I took a quick look at these. The Megapot has triclad bottom and includes thermometer and valve at $309.

The SS is also triclad and includes valve only. Bulkhead adapter and thermometer adds $49.50 to the price. Total $324.50 plus $100 for the false bottom.

Spike looks like single ply bottom but all welded fittings. Add $25 for thermometer and $30 for valve. Total $275.00.

For me I'd be tempted to get the Megapot with a valve and forget the thermometer if this will just be used for boil. At $259 it looks like a better pot than the Spike for similar price (no thermometer). Good luck.

I did see where Midwest Supplies has a 10% discount if you sign up for their email newsletter. That would put the Megapot with valve at $233 with same discount on more options if desired.

How are you heating?

If propane, I would go with the lowest aspect ratio possible (as wide a base as possible) and stick with the cheaper single ply kettle...I short i would add a bulkhead valve or go with the Spike kettle.

Electric stove, smallest aspect ratio available and plan on a heat stick build.

I'm not an expert but I took a quick look at these. The Megapot has triclad bottom and includes thermometer and valve at $309.

The SS is also triclad and includes valve only. Bulkhead adapter and thermometer adds $49.50 to the price. Total $324.50 plus $100 for the false bottom.

Spike looks like single ply bottom but all welded fittings. Add $25 for thermometer and $30 for valve. Total $275.00.

For me I'd be tempted to get the Megapot with a valve and forget the thermometer if this will just be used for boil. At $259 it looks like a better pot than the Spike for similar price (no thermometer). Good luck.

Currently just using as boil kettle.

How are you heating?

If propane, I would go with the lowest aspect ratio possible (as wide a base as possible) and stick with the cheaper single ply kettle...I short i would add a bulkhead valve or go with the Spike kettle.

Heating currently via electric stove. However, I have a propane burner for boiling outside just haven't used it yet. So, both? Where ever the mood takes me? :mug:

How are you heating?

The discount at Midwest actually puts the Megapot at a cheaper price point than the Spike. All three pots are similar sized with diameter at 15.7 - 15.8".

Probably goes without saying but consider that upgrading kettle could likely require an upgrade to your heat source. I'm sure you already thought of this but just wanted to mention. I upgraded from 8gal gen1 megapot to 15gal gen1 megapot and my wimpy turkey fryer just ain't gettin it done :D. I think a KAB6 will be first new equip of 2015:rockin:

I'd go Spike! I have 2 of their SS kettles now (1-20G and 1-30G) and I think they are the best bang for the buck. Especially considering the welded fittings and they will do custom configs for you. IMHO welded is far better than weld-less and Spike's quality has really improved. My newest kettle has beautiful welds on the couplers and they've started doing flush-mount on the inside for easier cleaning.
You really don't need a tri-clad bottom unless maybe if using as a direct fired mash tun. I've never scorched my wort and I use Blichmann floor burners which really kick arse!

I vote AIH pot, if you dont want to buy a concord and do your own holes and fittings. Clad anything is stupid for brewing. you are boiling wort not making chili.

I recently got the ss brew tech 15 gallon kettle and I love it! A couple things though it does not come with false bottom or the thermometer so it does get a bit expensive but have heard good things about spike too!

For reference, I'm not counting ANY accessories into the mix, because I can get those options elsewhere, and they may not be apples/apples. Except for maybe False Bottoms (which wasn't part of the original discussion). I can get Sight Glasses, Valves, Thermometers, or whatever elsewhere. In Fact since I have Keggles, I was planning on moving my existing accessories over to the new pots. This may/may not apply to the next person in line. The only thing I need to compare is for accessories is the ports, which the various manufacturers list out nicely.

AIH is having a scratch and dent sale right now. They have 15 gallon two weld pots for $89!!! Talk about a bargain.

That is a pretty good bargain. To bad I can't open the AIH website. I got it open on the phone once, and now won't load. Ah well.

Can't comment good or bad on the others but I have a Megapot and love it! I've had no problems. Tri-clad may not be necessary but it won't hurt either. However I find myself wanting to do more 10 gallon batches and have been looking into a bigger pot. Everyone that does 10 gallon says the same thing! "wish I got the 20 gallon"! Especially if they want to do big beers. 15 gallon seems a waste if I'm just going to want a bigger pot again!

Wow, seems like an overwhelming vote towards Spike. Well, his 13-gal aluminum pot has served me well for years now. Just need to upgrade and would like to use SS again. Does Spike's kettles come with gallon markings?

As for the burner question I saw posted, I have collected this a few months ago for when I got a bigger pot. Hopefully it will do the trick.

bayou_classic_burner-64655.jpg

Can't comment good or bad on the others but I have a Megapot and love it! I've had no problems. Tri-clad may not be necessary but it won't hurt either. However I find myself wanting to do more 10 gallon batches and have been looking into a bigger pot. Everyone that does 10 gallon says the same thing! "wish I got the 20 gallon"! Especially if they want to do big beers. 15 gallon seems a waste if I'm just going to want a bigger pot again!

I'll likely continue to brew 5 gallon batches mostly, but may do a 10 gallon in the future. Is it silly to buy a 20 gallon and use it for 5 gallons just in case a 10 gallon batch was made here and there? That seems like a waste to me.

As for the burner question I saw posted, I have collected this a few months ago for when I got a bigger pot. Hopefully it will do the trick.

bayou_classic_burner-64655.jpg

If that's an SQ-14 that sucker will do the trick, I had two for 9 years before going electric, worked great with my keggles.

You can forget about doing a 10 gallon batch on a stove, not happening with a kitchen stove. My advice spend $60 bucks for a cut top keg and add your your own fittings. As for the SQ-14 burner - that is the unit that forced me to go electric and cut my boil time by 75%. For canning they are fine. My brew club hosted a lobster dinner and using cut kegs for boiling lobsters, clams and corn the SQ14 took 30 minutes longer to reach a boil than the Bayoo SQ84 or the Blichman burners. I suppose they are great if you have nothing to compare them to. That is just my experience, the SQ14 is the best thing I ever bought - it got me into electric brewing. I'd sell you mine but after buying it and using it once it now resides in the snow behind my barn after a fit of anger. Then again I am an inpatient yankee. cheers.

Consider the keggle route - not glamorous looking. But function over form as I always say. Buy a bunch of cornies with what you save.

Re: burner discussion. We just had a few posts elsewhere that discussed burner to kettle distance. And when people adjusted the Bayou burners closer to the kettle it helped dramatically. So you might also plan to adjust that. We were talking a different model Bayou, but those pics suggest that one might need adjustment too.

I will have to agree with Reaver on his comments about the SQ-14 and 10G batches. While it will get the job done, you will be better off with a Blichmann floor burner with that batch size. The SQ-14 did a great job with my 5G batches and worked pretty good to heat strike water for my 10G batches too. I've since stepped up to 10G+ batches and 2 Blichmann burners. I'd sell my SQ-14 but it's still a good burner and I feel like I'll need it in the future.

You can forget about doing a 10 gallon batch on a stove, not happening with a kitchen stove. My advice spend $60 bucks for a cut top keg and add your your own fittings. As for the SQ-14 burner - that is the unit that forced me to go electric and cut my boil time by 75%. For canning they are fine. My brew club hosted a lobster dinner and using cut kegs for boiling lobsters, clams and corn the SQ14 took 30 minutes longer to reach a boil than the Bayoo SQ84 or the Blichman burners. I suppose they are great if you have nothing to compare them to. That is just my experience, the SQ14 is the best thing I ever bought - it got me into electric brewing. I'd sell you mine but after buying it and using it once it now resides in the snow behind my barn after a fit of anger. Then again I am an inpatient yankee. cheers.

Consider the keggle route - not glamorous looking. But function over form as I always say. Buy a bunch of cornies with what you save.

I was considering a keggle too. As for the burner, I already have the SQ-14. Never used yet. Are you suggesting SQ-84 is better than the SQ-14? They don't look much different. Maybe I'm missing something.

Consider that a keggle will be more difficult to handle/store vs. a "proper" kettle, and also somewhat more difficult to clean. I have both and would opt for a kettle over a keggle given the choice, though price was a bigger factor at the time I picked up the keggle.

I was considering a keggle too. As for the burner, I already have the SQ-14. Never used yet. Are you suggesting SQ-84 is better than the SQ-14? They don't look much different. Maybe I'm missing something.

The SQ14 is a very low pressure and low BTU rated burner. I got my original one for doing canning. Check the specks between the two - it's cheap but heats slowly and compared to the SQ84 the actual burner is quite small. Beats heating on a stove but.... No need to spend $$$ for a fancy finish on a Blichman, but the 14 is rally too small for much more than 5 gallons. I believe the SQ84 is sized for up to 25 gallons.

Consider that a keggle will be more difficult to handle/store vs. a "proper" kettle, and also somewhat more difficult to clean. I have both and would opt for a kettle over a keggle given the choice, though price was a bigger factor at the time I picked up the keggle.

Well I have an abundance of space so that's no issue. Cleaning is no different or harder but they are heavier I'll give you that. Mine seldom if ever come off by brew table since they are plumbed together, I wash them in place with the pump setup and built in "garden hose". So I guess it's just personal preference

The SQ14 is a very low pressure and low BTU rated burner. I got my original one for doing canning. Check the specks between the two - it's cheap but heats slowly and compared to the SQ84 the actual burner is quite small. Beats heating on a stove but.... No need to spend $$$ for a fancy finish on a Blichman, but the 14 is rally too small for much more than 5 gallons. I believe the SQ84 is sized for up to 25 gallons.

If that's true, I may try to sell my SQ-14 for an 84. I'm all about saving the $$$ for something worth it. I don't need a Blichman. I just need something that will work well.

Well I have an abundance of space so that's no issue. Cleaning is no different or harder but they are heavier I'll give you that. Mine seldom if ever come off by brew table since they are plumbed together, I wash them in place with the pump setup and built in "garden hose". So I guess it's just personal preference

That will be a factor for me. I don't want something huge or heavy to log around for cleaning as I use my kitchen too. That may change if I switch to propane but I have no easy way to clean the equipment outside in winter, so I'll likely still bring stuff inside for cleaning.

If that's true, I may try to sell my SQ-14 for an 84. I'm all about saving the $$$ for something worth it. I don't need a Blichman. I just need something that will work well.

Check out the Bayou KAB4 or 6 (larger base). Its the same burner in the Blichmann. I have one of each and just bought another Bayou for building my Stand $90-ish on Amazon.

You dont know you need a Blichmann till you get a Blichmann. It's well worth the extra spend.

Latest posts

Back