148 deg mash temp??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
Grain bill:
12.5 lbs pale malt 2 row
.5 lbs brown malt
.5 lbs crystal 40L
.5 lbs chocolate malt

Beersmith has me mashing in at a temp of 148 deg for 75 mins. Why would this grain bill require lower mash temps whereas smaller grain bills mash in with temps as high as 156 deg for 45 mins? Should I disregard the beersmith mash steps? I have had no problems on other recipes but I am curious. Anyone?

Beersmith doesn't default to your grain bill. You have your mash profile set up different. At 148° you are set up for a light body beer, if you want to mash at 156° set it for full body. If you mash at a lower temp you "may" need to mash longer for full conversion..."may"

Beersmith doesn't default to your grain bill. You have your mash profile set up different. At 148° you are set up for a light body beer, if you want to mash at 156° set it for full body. If you mash at a lower temp you "may" need to mash longer for full conversion..."may"

Wow, that was close. I did no know I hade to change the mash profile, which makes sense since the program has no idea what I'm thinking. Thanks man!

Back