13 gallon sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a thing, but I just converted an old scottish ale keg to a brew kettle. I was calibrating the sight glass when I realized, this puppy only takes 13.

Kind of sucks as I usually do 10 gallon batches and with 90 minute boils and whatnot I'm really going to be pushing the top of this one. I had locknuts welded onto this one as well.

FYI, be sure about what keg you are converting. Had I known I would've used this as the HLT.

:mad:

I did the same thing many years ago. Can barely and I mean BARELY do a 10 gallon AG batch in it.

I complained about it for many years and now it is my HLT and I bought a 20 gallon kettle this week.

Unfortunately, I made this new BK a bottom draining one with a 2" tri clamp. So it doesn't easily flip spots with HLT in my system. One of the downfalls of hard plumbing for me has been things like this. Where you suddenly realize something and you built a whole network of pipes around it.

I'm thinking I might just use a bit less sparge water and then add water to the BK later. or scale the batch down a tad. Really, I'd love to get a 20 gallon pot.

Back