13% abv after 4 days fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowamushi

Reaction score
So I started a batch of mulberry wine last weekend, pitched the yeast Sunday afternoon. I used red star Cote des Blancs wine yeast. The recipe I was sort of using said that after 5-7 days the SG should be 1.04 and I should rack to the secondary removing all the pulp. I took a measurement today as I was racking and the SG is .990. Is this normal? It seems like it fermented awfully fast. 13.2% ABV in just 4 days???

I'm really new to all this, but from what I understand temperature has a lot to do with how fast the yeast will procreate. What is the temperature of the place you stash your fermentor, just out of curiosity?

It was kept in a closet in my apartment where the thermostat is set to 74 and kept there pretty reliably.

Not familiar with wine making, but yeast is yeast I suppose and 74 is pretty high and would give you a powerful fast ferment. Specs say it's good between 64-86 so you shouldn't experience ill effects, but the temp is likely the culprit in the speed.

Back