13.2 and 15.5 Gallon kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev5501

Reaction score
Today I just purchased two 13.2 gal kegs and one 15.5 gal keg. Any suggestion how I should set them up? My plan was to use the 15.5 as the MLT and the 13.2's as the HLT and kettle. I would like to brew 10 gal batches down the road but would I be able to boil a 10 gal batch with a 13.2 gal kettle? I am not worried about the HLT. Is the extra 2.3 gal more important for me in the MLT or the boil kettle?

Use the 15.5 gallon kettle for the boil kettle. The 13.2 won't give you enough room to boil a ten gallon batch.

Remember that you start with 11 or 12 gallons of wort so that you end up with 10 gallons at knock out. Wort expands quite a bit and develops a lot of foam when it boils vigorously. You'll have a really hard time keeping it in the kettle.

The 13.2 is plenty big enough for an HLT or MLT for a 10 gallon brewery.

+1 to billtzk. I use a 13.2 for a HLT and a 15.5 for boil. My mash tun is the weak spot, a 10g round cooler. A couple extra gallons there would go far. Boilng a 10g batch in a 15g keg is already tight.

Latest posts

Back