12v pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REPO

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 12v pumps that I've seen listed on a few supplier sites? They are much cheaper than the quality 110v ones. Would the 12v be a good starter unit?

i was told buy it and think this is the only batch you are getting out of it.

That being said. I have no clue as i did not buy it

If they are the little tan ones, I would spend the couple dollars extra and get the 24v. I use a 12v for mash recirculating and it's just fine, but if you try to whirlpool or anything the extra power is beneficial.

I have this one. Its called "the little brown pump" around here. I used it for recirculating during the mash but found I got the same results without recirculating so I stopped. I'm just about to start using it for filtering beer. I haven't heard any negative feedback about it. I thought I read it will last 4 years running 24/7, doubtful but for $18 I have no complaints...A search for "liitle brown pump homebrew" may bring up some results

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Quiet...d=141738084119&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

The nice thing about DC pumps is they usually have a lot more power than a similarly sized AC pump.

I have two of the "little brown pumps", got them on Amazon for $20 each. The only issue I've ever had with them is the 4 screws to attach them to whatever, the plastic broke fairly quickly so they are now "strapped down" with gorilla tape and my staple gun. I've had 200+ degree water/wort through them and had no problem. I used a couple of old 12v phone chargers to convert them to AC. They are both still going strong 6 months and many batches later. I take them apart every few batches to clean out the impellers and make sure nothing nasty is left in them.

I have two of the "little brown pumps", got them on Amazon for $20 each. The only issue I've ever had with them is the 4 screws to attach them to whatever, the plastic broke fairly quickly so they are now "strapped down" with gorilla tape and my staple gun. I've had 200+ degree water/wort through them and had no problem. I used a couple of old 12v phone chargers to convert them to AC. They are both still going strong 6 months and many batches later. I take them apart every few batches to clean out the impellers and make sure nothing nasty is left in them.

That's great to hear! I was wondering if anyone had actually pumped hot wort with them.

Can you run both pumps on a single power supply?

These little pumps are great because they're submersible too. I have one for transferring wort and one that I throw into my water reservoir for chilling. That way I can Pump ice cold water through the immersion chiller instead of moderately cool tap water. I have a chugger which I think is a good product but the size of these make them more convenient for 5-10 gallons although, they are slower as to be expected. I screw one onto the NPT ball valve of my mash tun and priming is not an issue if the outlet is facing straight up. I have about 20 batches in on the one for my mash tun and its held up very well.

Also, this thread has probably all your questions answered.

That's great to hear! I was wondering if anyone had actually pumped hot wort with them.

Can you run both pumps on a single power supply?

I wouldn't recommend running them off one power supply. I use a surge protector with a switch and only plug in the one I'm currently using. I usually only need one for my batches unless I have to set up my IC as a heat exchanger.

Back