12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that's Swiss!! :D Well, I like that idea because it's dry. What do you like about it? Also, how many packages for a 7% ABV lager?
I use it for light pilsners, so not your brew. Still, I'd use it because it's very dependable and clean. Not sure of the alcohol tolerance, best look into that. It won't add anything additional to your bock. If you want something interesting, you could pitch a Kolsch yeast and ferment 55-60F. Strain: 2565 for Kölsch | Yeast & Cultures by Wyeast Labs

OTOH, in the crazy "gruit" I brewed for this event, I used an abbey yeast because I wanted the yeast contribution. A little horse blanket, a little hay, some odd homey aroma like socks left in the corner of a locker.

I use it for light pilsners, so not your brew. Still, I'd use it because it's very dependable and clean. Not sure of the alcohol tolerance, best look into that. It won't add anything additional to your bock. If you want something interesting, you could pitch a Kolsch yeast and ferment 55-60F. Strain: 2565 for Kölsch | Yeast & Cultures by Wyeast Labs

OTOH, in the crazy "gruit" I brewed for this event, I used an abbey yeast because I wanted the yeast contribution. A little horse blanket, a little hay, some odd homey aroma like socks left in the corner of a locker.
Typical Floridian 🤣 I might just go with the good ole W-34/70.

Hey Guys, for the Juniper Rye Bock, do you think it's ok to run the juniper berries through my grain mill? Or just grind them with a mortar and pestle?

I have no experience with them, so I’m not much help, but a very quick google search advised against grinding them as the pit adds an astringent flavor…
That makes sense. I did see articles that said the berries would get embedded in something like a coffee grinder, and be hard to clean out. I reckoned the mill would be easier to clean. I'll use the morter and pestle. Thanks!

Given the question from @shetc this am / yesterday - I pulled my last bottle of the 2022 12 BOC from the fridge and its last years version of the Juniper Rye Bock. And it’s quite tasty! Cheers!

Still 4 slots open if anyone wants to join us…
IMG_2616.jpeg

Last question before I brew: Are people sticking with the 90 min hop additions, or using the more typical 60 min one?

Hey Guys, for the Juniper Rye Bock, do you think it's ok to run the juniper berries through my grain mill? Or just grind them with a mortar and pestle?
I busted mine up with a little spice mill I have. No problem at all. They are a little bitter (I taste everything), but I doubt it'll be an issue.

Thanks. Sounds like a hoot. Going to need to get on it - time in the keg seems to be the key with these beers.

Yeah, I need to start making some test runs as well. I kegged a west coast IPA today, but what won’t make a suitable base for the Honey Ginger IPA. Guess I’ll just have to brew another IPA next weekend! 🍺👍

Thanks. Sounds like a hoot. Going to need to get on it - time in the keg seems to be the key with these beers.
I am following the recipe directions, and brewed last week. But I have to wonder if some of the info in Randy's book is dated. The book was published in 2004 so mash additions, long boil times, 90 minute bittering additions, extensive lagering, etc are out of step with modern practices. I should have asked him 🤔

I am following the recipe directions, and brewed last week. But I have to wonder if some of the info in Randy's book is dated. The book was published in 2004 so mash additions, long boil times, 90 minute bittering additions, extensive lagering, etc are out of step with modern practices. I should have asked him 🤔

In the past it's been understood that his recipes are just guidelines for the brewers here, and that you can take some liberty to make the recipe yours.

Fella's,
I will take the Spiced Cherry Dubbel. My club is willing to do the Saffron Tripel as a group, but I will let that one ride for a while longer to see if someone else wants to do it. It looks like a nice label is suggested but not entirely required?

1) Caramel Quadruple - @4_Sons_Brewing
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel - Kwilson16
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock - @mjdonnelly68
4) Juniper Rye Bock - @shetc
5) Fruitcake Old Ale - @jerbrew
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit - @passedpawn
8) Honey Ginger IPA - @thetick
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale - @JAReeves
10) Gingerbread Ale - @Rish
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout - @BAF
12) Abbey Weizen - @Beekeeper

In the past it's been understood that his recipes are just guidelines for the brewers here, and that you can take some liberty to make the recipe yours.
I stuck to the recipe as described though, of course, it will still be my version. If I like it enough then I can start making adjustments (for example, perhaps the Juniper may be less than what modern palates are used to).

I stuck to the recipe as described though, of course, it will still be my version. If I like it enough then I can start making adjustments (for example, perhaps the Juniper may be less than what modern palates are used to).
I've already walked through Randy's recipe and balked. To quote the late, great Francis Albert - "Don't tell me. Suggest, but don't tell me." :)

KWilson16 - you got it, and thanks to the club for offering to take the last beer. We’ll leave it open for a bit and decide in a few weeks.

For all those participating - thank you! I’ll reach out in a few weeks to collect addresses to share a shipping list.

I’m heading out of town, but plan to brew the Caramel Quad when I return, in plenty of time to age and mellow.

1) Caramel Quadruple - @4_Sons_Brewing
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel - @kwilson16
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock - @mjdonnelly68
4) Juniper Rye Bock - @shetc
5) Fruitcake Old Ale - @jerbrew
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit - @passedpawn
8) Honey Ginger IPA - @thetick
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale - @JAReeves
10) Gingerbread Ale - @Rish
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout - @BAF
12) Abbey Weizen - @Beekeeper

Super excited about making the Spiced Cherry Dubbel!

The local orchard has "You Pick" cherries this weekend (sour and sweet).

The recipe blows past the Dubbel style guidelines. Randy Mosher says to add "a drop (no more!) of almond extract for extra depth" but does he mean to add one drop per glass? One drop doesn't seem like it would have any effect in 5 gallons. Thoughts?

1687561935331.png

I think the almond extract is to mimic the flavor of the crushed cherry pits in the fermentation. There is a little cyanide (almond flavor based on other people's statements) in most stone fruit seeds, so almond extract instead of risking the kind of alcohol tincture that might make your beers a one-and-done?

If you don't think 1 drop is strong enough post-fermentation, you can add another drop or two before bottling/kegging. But you can't take it back if it's too much.

Back