100's of Brews worth of yeast for only $10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
I purchased the BSG Distilling yeast to see if it would dry out my beer. I paid $10 for a large bag and it is supposed to last a long time if brewing small batches. I wouldn't have typically considered this yeast due to its purpose, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Come to find, the yeast is great if you are looking for a banana/clove with a slight hint of bubblegum, and it was inexpensive. The Homebrew Shop owner said it would last up to a 1,000 batches. I'm not sure I would believe it, but there is a heck of a lot of yeast in that bag.

The beer made with this yeast was really refreshing. The banana mellowed along with the clove. However, the expression was that of a European Wheat Beer, most likely Bavarian.

Has anyone else had tried this yeast?

I used it on a small batch of partigyle and noticed a strong banana estery smell as well, interesting, since I've read it's finicky and needs help finishing, which is strange. I might take the dive and try it for a dampfbier, as it does have a really nice aroma, surprisingly.

The question is: What type of beer style does this yeast belong too? According to BJCP Guidelines, the characteristics are reminiscent of a Bavarian Wheat Beer with the banana and spicey clove? See BJCP guidelines at: BJCP Style 17A

Your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back