100 degrees in the shade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrychinaski

Reaction score
actually it reached 101 in the brewery/sunroom today while i was finally getting around to doing this wit that i've been putting off for the last week. it was actually tolerable with pool breaks here and there and plenty of saison on tap. it was certainly no problem maintaining the mash at 150 deg. for 90 minutes, which resulted in a decent 80% extraction.
i did have to boil down to 8 gallons and supplement with 2 gallons of ice cold purified water to get the temperature down low enough to pitch though.
all in all it was a good day, and as long as the yeast gets going in the next few hours, it looks like this will be a good one.
cheers to all of you sweating summer brewers!

100F? That is way too hot. I am from Ontario and we haven't had any real hot weather yet. Just rain and some humidity. I brewed yesterday and with my plate chiller, I got my wort down to 62F. I had to let it warm up before pitching the yeast. I don't think I could handle 100F weather. Be nice for a few days though. It's usually around 75F.

Scarlett

It's forecast for 100F or thereabouts in Dallas today, IIRC, but I installed one of those mister things in my porch this week..... should make for a more comfortable outside brewday.

Only 93F yesterday, but it should be a bit warmer today. It's dry enough that the morning temperature will be 45-50F.

I've given up brewing beer for the summer. I about died last year. It is way too hot here in phoenix. I brewed up enough beer for me to make it through till cooler weather. I can always do an extract batch in the kitchen if i get low.

Biermuncher,
When you brew are you on the porch or inside? I would love to be inside at 70F but I would have to go all electric to do it.

i live in so cal and am running out of beer. it has been to hot to brew for weeks and i have no motivation to brew and the kegs are running low! thank the beer gods that it raing today and cloudy and cool tomarrow. 10 gal of honey ale tomarrow one carboy will get wlp01 and the other will get wlp530. off to the store for propane

You want to talk hot? I am currently in Baghdad and in the shade it is around 119 degrees. It is currently 9:54 p.m. and it is 102 degrees out still. Can't move an inch without sweating.

98 and 99% humidity here yesterday.

Pretty much the same story here on Saturday. To make things worse, a storm rolled in right about the time I started heating sparge water. I had to shut all the garage doors due to rain blowing in. Lets just say things got hotter than a muther in there with the doors shut and the propane burner running full blast.

On the bright side, my un-insulated boil pot/mashtun held its temp solid for an hour mash.

On the downside it took me 45 min to get my wort from a boil down to pitching temp with a combination of a IC powered by 75° hose water and the Boil Pot in an Ice bath. Simply unacceptable, but it is a good excuse to build a CFC. :D

I wanted to brew today, had the afternoon off of work... but I ended up making 10 gal of Apfelwein instead because it's 96F and humid here, which means the brewshop is 99F without the burner running. Once I hit boil, it'll 105 easy, so I skipped it.

(Pisses me off, I really want to get this Pyramid Apricot clone brewed!!!!!!! I'm on a friggin' schedule here!!!!)

110 and growing here.
I brewed last weekend and got heat stroke. I am brewing the 999 in 3 weeks and am planning on going to the hospital.

Oh, the sacrifices we must make!!

You want to talk hot? I am currently in Baghdad and in the shade it is around 119 degrees. It is currently 9:54 p.m. and it is 102 degrees out still. Can't move an inch without sweating.

This is an old post but I want to thank our troups and hope you can find shade and cold beer soon. I was in the Air force in 1960 in Phoenix, AZ at an air base near there and it was 115F on the flight line and so I know what hot is too. Take care.

I brewed on Saturday in my garage... it was in the 90s and I got my Helles down to 45dF with my immersion chiller...

and three 20 lb bags of ice!

Summer brewing sucks in my book. I do it because I would be out of beer otherwise and for some reason I can never seem to plan ahead enough to take June through September off from brewing. 80 F chill water from the tap, mosquitoes, sweat, ugh. Autumn can't come soon enough for me.

Just South of the Mason Dixon in Knoxville,

MOSQUITOS. That's the thing I really hate. If it were *just hot and humid* I would sack up and deal with it. But here in the midwest, if it's after 4pm, you're liable to be eaten alive, even ducking outside in very short intervals (e.g. run the hose to the CFC, get 10 more bites)... I'm phobic of the things, too, because of all the West Nile cases in the past 5 years... had two friends in college that each missed an entire semester, in the hospital, due to West Nile. Now I start compulsively swatting at my neck and my legs, even when I'm not being bitten, because I imagine they're biting me. Evil fuggers.

I'm thinking that, in order to get a brew done this weekend, I'm going to start at 5am. No skeeters and less heat. Target beer in the fermenter by 10 or 10:30am, then clean and packed away by 11am. Maybe do the same thing on Sunday too, so I can get two batches done.

Back