100% Brett Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for your collective experiences on various water profiles affecting the perception of 100% brett fermented beers.

I recently did some digging in trying to determine a preferred or suggested water profile for 100% brett fermented beers. I routinely found (via Milk the Funk wiki, Mad Fermentationist, etc.) that the question quickly widened into a "preferred profile for sour beers" debate, in general. Ultimately, though, the same response kept popping up: when it comes to an "ideal" water profile for sour beers (let alone 100% brett), anything goes. Well, that just won't serve my obsessive/compulsive nature and propensity to over-plan every brew very well.

Aside from typical "good practices" (mash pH 5.2-5.3, general ion content for brett health, etc.), my inclination is to stick with a water profile to match the style (ex sour golden vs sour IPA). Specifically, i'm planning on a golden base and am thus (as of now) planning to use a balanced profile (1:1 Cl:SO4 ratio). However, should I be factoring in the idea that the presence of brett could dry out a beer that would typically finish more balanced? Should i plan for a bit of a maltier water profile target to compensate for any potential dryness?

Does anyone have any experience with water chemistry affecting perception of 100% brett beers (or sours in general)? Any thoughts on ion ratios, content, etc.?

I find that Brett tends to produce a drier finish in the beers its used in. Sulfate also dries the finish of beers. For that reason, I would be cautious with sulfate additions to brewing water. You wouldn't want to overdo it.

I’ve played with relatively high additions of salts to the tune of 120:80 Cl:SO4 ratio and it’s worked well for 100% Brettanomyces fermentations. Oldsock has a few recipes that are splendid with this water profile — the Mo’ Betta Bretta clone and 100% Brett IPA are special favorites of mine.

I’ve found that Brettanomyces finishes around the same terminal gravity as Saccharomyces when working by itself, but the final pH of the beer will finish much lower, giving a bit more bite to the hops, so just keep that into consideration with your hopping rates and mash pH.

...so just keep that into consideration with your hopping rates and mash pH.

And that was another concern of mine - mash pH. With this intended on NOT being the typical brett IPA and not having much guidance for ion content, i'm currently targeting Brussels' water profile (Ca=100, Mg=11, Na=18, SO4=70, Cl=41, Bicarb=250) to get that balanced Cl2:SO4 ratio. To get there, I'm going to use a touch of gypsum and CaCl2 (and lactic acid), putting my mash pH at 5.25 (per Bru n Water).

Should I be shooting for a different pH, then? Should I mash at a higher pH with the idea that the brett will finish the final product lower than a typical sacc beer? I'm not versed at all in pH as it relates to a 100% brett fermentation.

Latest posts

Back