10 gallon Igloo, what's best for a screen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A proper false bottom would be better for the MLT, in order to avoid channeling.

If fly sparging a domed FB is a good solution. If batch sparging pretty much anything that won't clog up will work...

Cheers!

I use a wilserbrewer bag in my 10 gal igloo, night and day difference in my process, never a stuck spage, ever!

In my cooler, I used a SS braided line following Denys mod, then the bazooka a friend lent me to try, then switched to a false bottom. Hands down the false bottom has been the best. The only problem I've had was my last brew, it was a pumpkin ale and pumpkin was in the mash.... stuck like crazy. But like others said, anything that doesn't clog and flows well will work.

I’ve always used a hose braid and yesterday used a bazooka braid for the first time. Efficiency was not what I usually got with the hose braid. I’m thinking about going false bottom from here on out as I am hearing how they are more consistent with the efficiency.

i was faced this decision when building my all grain equipment. when you compare the cost of the tube/dome false bottom they are similar in price. IMO i always buy the good equipment first mainly that if you cheep out and regret paying the the better equipment you wish you had the money back you spent on the cheeper option to use for the better option. dome false bottoms for a 10 gal igloo cooler is quite inexpensive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B7GIV8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same one that mauer_62 posted and it works great. The fit is right and draining it is a breeze. I’m glad that I finally ditched the steel braid.

I use a braid from a heavy duty water heater supply line from Home Depot. It is indestructible and I have only come close to a stuck sparge a couple of times. I keep rice hulls on hand in case.

Personally I could not be bothered to use a bag. It is so much easier to just dump the spent grain then hose out the mash tun.

If I did BIAB, then I would use a Wilser Bag.

Back