10 gallon cooler mash tun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrasports

Reaction score
I have been using the inexpensive way of doing all grain ever since I started brewing about a year ago. For 10 gallon batches I have 2 5 gallon bucket mash tuns made. My question is for the 10 gallon home depot cooler mash tun with the false bottom. First MoreBeer.com says they use a 9" false bottom for this set up and to me it seems small but that is what they said. My next question is when I do 10 gallon batches I usually use like 20-24 pounds of grain... thus the reason for 2 seperate plastic bucket mash tuns. Would I be able to fit 24 pounds of grain in one of these cooler type mash tuns and if so it must be a ***** to mix the hot water and the grains in the begining to be sure all dry spots are found in the grain.

If you use one of these 10 gallon cooler set ups for a mash tun please post your comments on what you think of it becuase I was thinking of upgrading at some point. The one 10 gallon cooler would be nice to hold the temps when your brewing in the winter in your garage.

Thanks

I use a 10g home depot mash tun but I will be doing my first 10g batch on Friday. My grain bill is about 26 pounds. I will try to remember and post what it is like. I probably will want to upgrade so I can make some bigger beers for 10g batches.

I use a 10g home depot mash tun but I will be doing my first 10g batch on Friday. My grain bill is about 26 pounds. I will try to remember and post what it is like. I probably will want to upgrade so I can make some bigger beers for 10g batches.

I would do a 1:1 ratio on your mash.

22lbs in my 10 gallon cooler was filled to the brim.

obviously, the thickness of your mash has a lot to do with it. :D

I have a 10 gallon cooler with valve/fittings I bought at Lowe's and a MoreBeer 12" stainless false bottom. I brew batches with a target post-boil volume of 6 gallons and, though most of my recipes are average OG (biggest being 1.070 - 17lb grist), I can do 2 and three step mashes without any issues. I am very happy with my 10 gallon bev cooler MLT. Good Luck!

Snowhere, that is what I thought the 9" was too small but I called and talked to people 2 times at morebeer.com and they swear they use a 9" false bottom on the 10 gallon cooler. Is the 12" FB very tight when it goes into a home depot 10 gallon cooler?

It sounds like 24 lbs of grain is a lot to ask from a 10 gallon cooler to hold? Please let me know if what the max amount of grain you can fit in your home depot type cooler mash tun because if it won't do 25 pounds of grain at once it will not work for me and I will stay with my 2 plastic bucket method for double batches.

I'd go with a bigger tun if your plan is to continue with 10 gallon batches.

I roll with a 48 qt cooler with a CPVC manifold and I max it out with 28 lbs. and a lower water to grist ratio.

That'll get me about 8% beer depending on my efficiency that day.

Don't forget to figure out how much room you'll need for your sparge additions.

Good luck.

Bull

Snowhere, that is what I thought the 9" was too small but I called and talked to people 2 times at morebeer.com and they swear they use a 9" false bottom on the 10 gallon cooler. Is the 12" FB very tight when it goes into a home depot 10 gallon cooler?

I have the MoreBeer 12" SS false bottom in my 10 gallon beverage cooler. I'd say there is about 1/4"-3/8" clearance around the entire outside edge of the FB. No clearance or installation issues whatsoever. Actually, enough room to put a piece of tubing I cut a slit into and fit around the edge of the FB as a gasket, as well. I should post a pic!
:rockin:

I just used my 10g home depot cooler yesterday on my first 10g batch. I went with 26.6 pounds of grain. It was filled to the brim! I think I might need to go shopping.

Just to be clear, my 10 gal cooler is a Igloo. In my cooler, the 12" false bottom is within .125" of the sides, so yes it is tight! The top of the cooler is 13" but the bottom tapers down slightly.

25lbs of grain should not be a problem. Just use 1.25 qts/lb and you will be fine. You can fit up to 30lbs if you drop your mash water to 1 qt/lb, i.e. thicker mash.

I have the Rubbermaid 10 gal. cooler with a 12" FB connecting the center barb of the FB with a section of high temp tubing going to a coupling and barb on the inside of the valve body. The fit is very tight but rests comfortably on the bottom and works great. However, the inside barb and tubing needs to be disconnected so that it can be properly cleaned but that has not been a problem.

It sounds like 24 lbs of grain is a lot to ask from a 10 gallon cooler to hold? Please let me know if what the max amount of grain you can fit in your home depot type cooler mash tun because if it won't do 25 pounds of grain at once it will not work for me and I will stay with my 2 plastic bucket method for double batches.

If I were regularly mashing 24 -25 pounds, I would use a 60 qt rectangular cooler.

BSBrewer83, was just wondering how it went with your 10 gallon home depot cooler with 26 pounds of grain???

It was filled to the brim. I could probably do a little more grain with a very thick mash but overall it went well.

I've got the same 10 gallon cooler and the max I've put in it was about 23 pounds. The mix was a little thick but it worked great.

I use that same MLT, and with only a braid for lautering. I did a 5 gal. batch of the Founders Breakfast Stout clone with 21+ pounds of fermentables- trust me, you're not going to be able to mash 24 lbs. of grain in there, let alone with a false bottom.

No, trust me because I mashed 24# of grain with 30 qts of water in my last ten gallon batch. It was quite full but stirring was not a problem with a long paddle.

Also my false bottom is homemade and sits 2" above the bottom. With a FB that allows more room, you can obviously mash more grain with a thicker mash.

There is a thread here that is titled "How big my MLT needs to be"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think it mattered if you used a 9" or 12" false bottom in the coolers. Those false bottoms are domed so even if it didn't reach to the edge it would still work properly. With a 12" false bottom you would get a little more even drain (less funneling). Unless you are fly sparging I don't think getting the 12" would benefit you any more then the 12". If fact with the 9" you would be able to get in slightly more grain it to your mash tun.

I use a 10gal Rubbermaid and my go-to recipe is an ESB that I use 23.5lbs of grain in. I use 1.05qts/lb and I'm comfortably full, maybe an inch to spare.

Latest posts

Back