10 / 15 / 20 gal configuration for 5 and 10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyager

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on some new equipment and am now thinking I should purchase the flexibility to do 10 gal batches in case I ever want to. What do you all think?

If I interpret their site correctly, Blichmann suggests using a 10, 15, and 20 gal vessel combination.

For 5 gal batches I guess they suggest to use the 15 gal for the BK, 10 gal for the MLT, and 20 for the HLT.

For 10 gal batches they suggest to use the 20 gal for the BK, 15 gal for the MLT, and the 10 for the HLT.

Anyone have thoughts or alternate suggestions on this? Is there a reason one wouldn't just use the 15 gal MLT for both size batches?

I am doing 10 gal HLT(need to upgrade to 15), 15 gallon BK, 15 Gallon Mash Tun. BK is close to being to small, came very close to a boil over yesterday when I got distracted by the black flies chewing on my leg!

I went with a 20,20,20 setup. I like to brew big beers and it can be tight getting all of that grain in a 15 BK and MT if you are doing a 10 gallon big beer. I also have a 20 HLT as it is a HERMS setup and hope to do double batches and the added space in the HLT will save me some time.

Hmmm, I'm not reading the Blichmann site the same way you are in terms of size of BK / MT / HLT for 5 or 10 gallon batches. I've been doing some related research as I'm interested in purchasing a complete system to replace the "Frankenbrew" rig I've put together over the years. Anyway, from the Blichmann site:

Recommended Three Kettle Systems For Typical Batch Sizes (HLT / Mash / Boil)

5 gal batch: 7.5/7.5/10 or for high gravity beers consider a 10 / 10 / 10
10 gal batch: 15 / 15 / 20

I agree with Brickman, I like the 20,20,20 setup so space is never an issue. I also run an electric system so a 20 gallon HLT is a must so I only heat up and just maintain the HLT for both strike and sparge water. The 20 gallon mash is just for convenience and in case I decide to do a RIS someday (that's a lot of grain).

Hmmm, I'm not reading the Blichmann site the same way you are in terms of size of BK / MT / HLT for 5 or 10 gallon batches. I've been doing some related research as I'm interested in purchasing a complete system to replace the "Frankenbrew" rig I've put together over the years. Anyway, from the Blichmann site:

Recommended Three Kettle Systems For Typical Batch Sizes (HLT / Mash / Boil)

5 gal batch: 7.5/7.5/10 or for high gravity beers consider a 10 / 10 / 10
10 gal batch: 15 / 15 / 20

This the equipment they suggest for brewing either 5 gal batches or 10 gal batches. Under the FAQ tab, they answer the question "CAN I BREW MULTIPLE BATCH SIZES?" So if you want 3 kettles that allow you to brew both 5 and 10 gal batches, they recommend a 10, 15, 20 setup.

To answer my own question above about why not just use the 15 gal for the MLT for both batch sizes, the reason is that the thermometer doesn't read until you have at least 6 gal in the kettle. So for a typical 12 lbs grain bill you'd need to use a thin mash of >1.75 qt/lbs to hit the thermometer.

FWIW, I have two 10 gallon pots FOR mash and boil and a 20 gallon HLT for 5 gallon batches. I used to have two 20s when I was doing 10 gallons batches but sold those and kept the 20g HLT. I haven't found a beer yet that I can't make 5 gallons of on my 10/10/20 setup.

It really depends on how you brew and some details on your other equipment. I currently use 10/10/10 HERMS and do all 5.5 gallon batches with the occasional double mash to do two separate boils. While I'll make two 5.5 batches in a day, it will always be a separate boil. I'll never do two batches the same and change something up in each. Such as two pale ales with different hops. I've even done double base mash then steep separate grains. The 10 gallon mash is a limitation so I just picked up a 15 gallon spike mash tun on Friday. It will allow me to do decent og double mashes as well as huge beers with a little breathing room.

I use a 8" dia metal hop spider so I don't want a bigger boil kettle than 10 or else the boil gets shallow and not much of the hop spider in submerged. With a HERMS I just fill it up the hlt and treat the water for sparge. I put the mash water right in the mash tun from the start and recirculate through the coil to heat it. That way you can treat the mash water separate from the sparge water. That also keeps the entire HERMS coil under water as you didn't drain a bunch out to fill the mash tun. You shouldn't need more than 10 gallons of sparge water on a 11 gallon batch. If I didn't have a HERMS, I would probably need a bigger hlt.

So with the new 15 gallon mash tun I can do a double batch well over 1080 and then monster single batches. 1127 was the biggest on the 10 gallon mash tun but it was an absolute cluster doing so. The 15 allows more room for grain, as well as some breathing room and the filtering should be better the the old screen. I've gotten stuck sparges on some huge mashes. Not fun. Now the old 10 mash will become a second boil after adding a heating element. So on my 50a back to back panel I'll be able to do two separate boils at the same time. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back