1 week 1 day fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doktorhook

Reaction score
Ok this is my second batch the first batch went without a hitch & I'm pretty sure this one is also BUT, the fermentation has stopped I'm pretty sure. Hydrometer has been the same for two days. It's only been a week and a half at the time of this post but it stopped at a week & a day. I'm still going to wait a few days just to make sure & take another reading. I'll give you the particulars & you tell me what you think. OG 1.082 (supposed to be 1.077) currently 1.023 (supposed to be 1.017 for FG), best brew imperial nut brown ale, at about the 24 hour mark of fermentation it was furious for a full day, Krausen was coming out of the airlock. Bubbled really good for about 2 days after that and now is nonexistent. Constant temp at about 70 deg.
So it's probably ready to bottle right but to stay on the safe side I should hold off & wait a few more days to be sure right?

I'd wait. It won't hurt the beer to rest on the yeast cake for another week or so. It'll also enable the yeast to convert fuesel alcohols, diacetyl and acetylaldehyde into esters. This is typically referred to as a diacetyl rest, and it's a good practice.

Is this a five gallon batch? If so, what kinds of yeast did you use and how much? It's possible that you underpitched the yeast a little bit which left the beer a little under-attinuated. This happens to the best of us.

It is 5 gallons & I don't know what the name of the yeast was I just used the packet that was with the best brew kit. I pitched the yeast first with a cup of warm water, approx. 90 deg. & used a teaspoon of sugar to check to see if it was good. I always do this so I won't waste the other ingredients in case the yeast is bad.

As long as you have a stable FG,letting it sit for 7 more days will let it settle out more,taking some off flavors with it.

Back