1 month in Prime. Should I pitch more when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHops

Reaction score
Hey I am about to bottle my first batch. It has been in primary fermentation since 1/09 and it has gotten down to 60-65 at some points here in my apartment, in Chicago, the past month. I kept a blanket around and under the bucket and the slap on thermometer has been in the 65+ range most of the time. I have yet to take a fg but my og is 1.071. Its a Irish Stout(Beamish Clone) and smells fantastic!

Do you think my yeast is dead? Hibernating? Or just fine? I plan on bottling tonight. I sanitized bottles and a closed container to keep them in yesterday and I am going to go grab some caps and more starsan in a bit, but I just wondered if the yeast might be dead and if I can/should add any amount when I add the sugar.

no way is it dead, that's pretty nice temperature range for ale yeasts. If it gets down to 60, then it can slow down quite a bit, but it won't die. The yeast just goes a bit dormant/slow if it gets too cold, and should wake back up if its in the optimal range of like 64 to 72ish... (each strain is a bit different) Take an FG reading now taht you've had it for 4 weeks, if it looks like its within the range of the expected recipe attenuation, then you're very likely in good shape. Good luck, and hope it spectacular!

Well that is great to hear. I plan on taking a fg but I ran out of sanitizer and bleach yesterday so I need to pick some more up when I go get the caps from my lhbs.

Thanks a lot. I too am hoping for a great first brew. Next I am thinking of a sweet to nutty porter in the bucket and either throw a cider or mead(this is what I really want to do) into a carboy I picked up. Taking suggestions...

Well that is great to hear. I plan on taking a fg but I ran out of sanitizer and bleach yesterday so I need to pick some more up when I go get the caps from my lhbs.

Thanks a lot. I too am hoping for a great first brew. Next I am thinking of a sweet to nutty porter in the bucket and either throw a cider or mead(this is what I really want to do) into a carboy I picked up. Taking suggestions...

No bleach.

I don't want this to turn into another thread on which sanitizer is best, I like StarSan, but there is nothing wrong with bleach. I've used it successfully for years.

Oh and another +1 on the Apfelwein. I just cracked a bottle at the six month mark, and OMG! It's getting better.

Thanks all. Yeah I only used bleach as a primary cleaner on the bottles, then they were rinsed well and then starsan'd. I dont plan on using bleach on anthing directly touching my beer.

Thanks for the Apfelwein, I am at work now and cant really take a look but I will as soon as I get home.

And thanks Revvy for dropping that bit of info. Good to know. Also thanks for that bottling guide you put together. I used a few tips last night bottling with my roommate. Boy is it easy with 2 people.

So my very first batch is bottled. I am a proud father of an Irish Stout that even my girly girlfriend likes (we all had a flat beer last night while bottling).

I have lots of pics I will throw up come this weekend of the whole process.

Latest posts

Back