1 Gallon Recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabimkbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I just did my first batch of beer, (popped the cherry) I currently have a 1 gallon beer kit with a 1.8 gallon stainless steel kettle.

My local homebrew store has some 1 gallon beer kit. I'm looking for a 1 gallon recipe (pale ale, IPA, strong Ales, dark beer) I can go to the store and pick off myself, (learning the ways).:)

Chmk

Go to Recipe Database
Select style.
Look under "Prefix" column for "Extract" "Partial" or "Multiple", IOW not "All-Grain" though most AG recipes can be converted.
You could sort by the "Rating" column, but I find the "Replies" column to be more valuable.
In chosen recipe, look for batch size (which is usually 5 gallons).
Divide ingredients by the batch size.

I started by brewing one gallon extract kits. My LHBS did not have any and there are not a lot available online but I ordered a few from Northern Brewer and also a few from http://craftabrew.com/collections/recipes.

I was happy with the kits from both places. And for me, doing the one gallon kits was a good way to start, to get comfortable with the process. I recently did a 2G all grain using BIAB method using a recipe from on here, and am planning to do a second one this weekend.

Congrats on your first brew! Its a great hobby. :mug:

That is a great way to start. What helped me immensely was when I started using software to really learn about creating recipes and what existing recipes were really doing together to make a quality beer.

Try brewersfriend. Its a good app / site that is free for a few recipes.

You can also scale down full size recipes to work with your goals.

Happy Brewing

That is a great way to start. What helped me immensely was when I started using software to really learn about creating recipes and what existing recipes were really doing together to make a quality beer.

Try brewersfriend. Its a good app / site that is free for a few recipes.

You can also scale down full size recipes to work with your goals.

Happy Brewing

Thank you! Honestly I should have started brewing years ago. It seems (beginners) have issues trying to figure out to put 1-2 gallon brewing kit recipe. Most common recipes folks share is 5 gallon up.

I figured, take the recipe that came with 1 gallon kit, Go to my HBS and buy the ingredients (maybe tweak a bit).

Bought a 1 gallon Belgian triple brewers kit. I will brew it while the other one ferments. Keep the ball rolling !!!!:ban:

CbMk

That's a good plan. Nobody wants to get stuck with 5 gallons of a brew that they don't like. Keep it small until you have a recipe that you're satisfied with (or at least one your friends like). We all have THAT friend that'll gladly accept 2 cases of drain pour worthy beer that things its the BEST THING EVER.

So.. if you have a recipe that is designed for 5 gallons and you want to scale it down to 1 gallon.. here's the math that I use. Let's say the bill calls for 4oz of Cara40 for a 5 gallon batch.

(4x1)/5 = .8 use .8oz cara 40 in your batch

A few things that were helpful to me when I started doing extract batches on the stovetop. This isn't theory or anything, but it helped me out learning from past experience.

To increase body, add a portion of your extract at the beginning of the boil, and the rest just before flame out (so it has time to dissolve completely).

You get much better results from doing a full volume boil than a partial boil. This is huge when doing an IPA in my findings.

Racking your beer into a secondary carboy isn't always necessary and should be avoided in hop forward beers. Just be sure to bottle when fermentation ends. Much better product that stays fresher longer.

Try the Basic Brewing 15 minute pale ale recipe mate, you can make a whole ton of those and use a different hop every time...

That's a good plan. Nobody wants to get stuck with 5 gallons of a brew that they don't like. Keep it small until you have a recipe that you're satisfied with (or at least one your friends like). We all have THAT friend that'll gladly accept 2 cases of drain pour worthy beer that things its the BEST THING EVER.

So.. if you have a recipe that is designed for 5 gallons and you want to scale it down to 1 gallon.. here's the math that I use. Let's say the bill calls for 4oz of Cara40 for a 5 gallon batch.

(4x1)/5 = .8 use .8oz cara 40 in your batch

Thanks Ruckusz28 - But I'm trying vice versa, reduce to 1 gallon brew.

I use Beersmith for my recipes. When I convert the original recipe to a one gallon, I usually round up on the grain. For example, if the calculation requires .8 oz. I would change the recipe to 1.0 oz. As for the hops, I usually leave it as is. I do look at the estimated IBU and the range in the style. I would tweak if its a pale or IPA just to compensate for efficiency in this small batch.

Back