1 Gallon Cider Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do make a mini auto-siphon that fits the 1 gallon carboys nicely. But a length of tube works just as well. Personally, I just use a highly flocculating yeast and pour it off taking care not to disturb the lees on the bottom. (doesn't work for a 5 gallon batch though ;) )

I also recommend the Universal Carboy Bungs. They work for my 1 gallon carboys up to my 6.5 gallon carboys and (for me) stay in a little better when using star san. The rubber bungs always seemed to pop out.

Ever had one of those days when everything just went wrong?

Juiced my pineapple last night, forgot to put a bowl by the spout to catch the juice. Discovered a tidal wave of juice swamping the counter.

Siphon wouldn't start, and then wouldn't keep going. Dropped things, broke things, ruined things. Just an overall **** up.

Luckily, the other half of the pineapple provided a good amount to back sweeten the pineapple cider, to which I added some maple syrup just to make it even more interesting. Pretty interesting taste, so we will see how it turns out. Oh yeah, I cold crashed the cider at 1.012 (from 1.074) and then added the juice and syrup.

I did a 3 gallon experiment tonight. I've been interested in dry hoping, so I took store brand AJ and mixed my random, extra hops. Simcoe, summit, and fuggle hops. Cut up 3 limes and added a clove. Threw is some nutrient and cup if sugar! Smells great!

I did a 3 gallon experiment tonight. I've been interested in dry hoping, so I took store brand AJ and mixed my random, extra hops. Simcoe, summit, and fuggle hops. Cut up 3 limes and added a clove. Threw is some nutrient and cup if sugar! Smells great!

In the primary?

So a week or so ago I made some welches grape juice cider. Fermented like crazy and finally slowed down. I took a little taste today..... Smelled like burnt rubber, tasted funny, but had a nice aftertaste. I'm assuming it needs to sit a week or so, transfer to secondary, and sit some more?

Personally I'd leave it on the yeast cake so they can clean up their waste products.

Update on the pineapple cider:

So remember I added a half of a juiced pineapple and some maple syrup to a gallon of cider made with brown sugar. OG 1.074 and cold crashed at 1.012.

This stuff is AMAZING. My best by far! Pours with a huge creamy head that persists. Great pineapple aroma, not a lot on the you g initially but it's an all pineapple aftertaste. Great mouthfeel, I'm attributing that to the syrup.

I'm definitely making this again, and I'll report back when friends have had a taste too.

Safa said:
Personally I'd leave it on the yeast cake so they can clean up their waste products.

So-,12 days after I posted about the bad taste of my Welches experiment, it taste pretty great. Transferred to a secondary and am going to let it sit in the cold basement a month or two before bottling.

hehawbrew said:
So-,12 days after I posted about the bad taste of my Welches experiment, it taste pretty great. Transferred to a secondary and am going to let it sit in the cold basement a month or two before bottling.

I had the same issue with mine. It now sits in the basement in the secondary with a cup of raisins added. Probably let the raisins soak for a month and rack again to bulk age for 4-6 months before bottling.

Nice. Good idea about raisins. I've been using them for mead nutrient, but the wife keeps eating them!

How did the dry hop experiment go? I've been kicking around something a Kin to skeeter pee with lemonade... what do you guys think think about that? I've also thought about going dry with aj then back sweetening with oj...

I started my lemonade today...
1 gal. Simply lemonade
8 oz. Corn sugar (dextrose)
1/2 pkg. Nottingham ale yeast

Og 1.072 or 9.5% potential abv.

I am going to let this ferment out and see how it does... and decide if I need to backsweeten, carb etc...

Added to taste, and then probably a quarter to a half a cup extra to account for what's eaten up during carbonation

I just made my first small test batch of apple cider yesterday going well so far. Its just store brand juice with a packet of munton and fison ale yeast I had laying around. If it goes well I will definitely be trying some of these recipes out thanks for the great info and ideas.

Ok so wife and I were talking last night on the way home and she reminded me that I needed to get making the caramel apple cider that I made last year... she wanted a batch to celebrate our new one in october plus a well aged one for the holidays and a friend asked me to make one... anyway I diverge from this topic...

I mentioned I thought it would be interesting to do a pumpkin spice blend... I was thinking actual pumpkin spice blend you add to the pumpkin filling hut she informed me that she had recently seen a "recipe" for which whole spices and ratios were used so I could get a better reaction/absorbtion in secondary with them... so im thinking 1gal experiment, thats why I bought the stuff right...

Then, I dont know where this came from, but doing a java cider... either making a 2-4 oz esspresso shot as bottling or cracking beans and soaking in secondary...

Thoughts comments etc?

I would be careful with the spices just because sometimes those pumpkin spices can leave a bitter aftertaste that I'm not fond of. Otherwise sounds like a great plan!

Also, java cider sounds incredible.
I like the beans idea more than the espresso, but not sure why. Hell, a vanilla stick an coffee beans sounds good too!

Thanks safa! Have you used the pumpkin spice or similar blend before?

I love the vanilla idea...

robbyhicks said:
Thanks safa! Have you used the pumpkin spice or similar blend before?

I love the vanilla idea...

Only in beers I'm afraid. I have had a pumpkin spiced cider once before though, and it was pretty decent, just not really my cup of tea!

Got 4 one gallons jugs out of primary this morning. 10 day primary (forgot to take initial gravity) that left me with 1.010, 1.015, 1.000 and 0.990. Three were the same juice, winn-dixie brand and one was musselman's apple cider. All got the same yeast, 2g Mangrove Jack's M02 cider yeast with 1lb of white sugar stirred in to varying levels of dissolution. I figure that I added to much sugar and didn't do a good job of ensuring it was properly dissolved. The two with higher FG's actually taste really good and I'm going to try doing the caramel cider with one and backsweeten with frozen raspberry concentrate in the other. The other two will be aging experiments with the 0.990 one getting 4oz of dried sweetened cranberries and the 1.000 one getting 4oz of honey and 1oz of fresh sliced ginger, both racked to secondary. 3 of the primary jugs I just poured another gallon of juice on top of the yeast with 4oz of honey each. Gave good swirls to each for better distribution.

Any thoughts or ideas for improvement or flavors?

Those all sound very interesting DisplacedSailor! Let us know how they turn out!

Started a new experiment yesterday, a gallon cider with cinnamon and crushed coffee beans. Who knows whats going to happen!

Experiments all sound great! Very interested in the one primed with honey and the coffee... I've been kicking around the idea of a secondary with some cold brewed strong coffee, I've got some that my wife picked up in jamacia... I'm also gonna try some of lallemands belle saison for yeast...

Those all sound very interesting DisplacedSailor! Let us know how they turn out!

Caramel cider: came out great, the wife's personal favorite.

Raspberry cider: it was good but overpowering with sweetness from using one can frozen concentrate for one gallon cider. I felt it benefitted from carbonation, the wife dislikes any carbonation. When I make it again, it'll be at least 2 gallons to one can of concentrate.

Cranberry cider: another favorite of the wife's, not bad but not a favorite of mine. Very tart and dry. If you really like cranberries, give it a shot.

Honey Ginger: by far my personal favorite. This one could probably benefit from some bottle aging in order to mellow the ginger heat but I enjoyed it after immediate bottling.

You can find specifics about the cranberry and honey ginger here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/honey-ginger-cranberry-429638/#post5475480

Just finished a coffee cinnamon cider, it has potential. Stay tuned for updated recipe and results as I churn out a few more of these tests to find the right balance.

Also be on the look out for a bastard version of a graff - a coffee milt stout cider

Bottled my apple juice with lallemand belle saison yeast... no sugar before og nothing to back sweeten... 1.052 og finished at 1.004 for an abv of about 6.4%... well that's the good news... bad news is I had my second daughter a month ago now and basically forgot the batch in the closet for 6.5 weeks... I don't think there is an infection... just dry and sour... I think the sour is from the saison yeast... I'm gonna do another batch and try to be more dilligent in a 10 - 14 day ferment...

Afraid the milk stout cider was a complete disaster from beginning to end. I will revisit it again someday, but for now I'm just tired of trying!

As for other experiments in the works:

1)
Cinnamon coffee cider has been coming along nicely. After a few itterations we are homing in on the *right* way to add coffee flavouring. Adding beans straight to the fermenter is a serious no no for flavour. Cold Brewed is the way to go. Will report back once I have a recipe locked down.

2)
My original test batch of my new favourite was 1/2 a gallon apple juice, a cup of maple syrup, a handful of untoasted american white oak chips, an ounce of rum, and 6 ounces of lactose.

It turned out too sweet (6 ounces of lactose in 1/2 a gallon adds around 22 gravity points, way higher than I like), but overall it was fantastic. a little boozy because I added the rum in straight, and the oaky flavour was there but too light to be truly enjoyed.

3)
I have a 10.5% cider on the go now, and the original test batch was beyond wonderful. I have super high hopes for this full sized and slightly tweaked batch. Now, this one is special, a little expensive, but special.

5 gallons generic apple juice,
64 ounces of grade b maple syrup,
champagne yeast (fermented at 60 in order to slow it down and hopefully preserve a lot of apple and maple flavour).
Now heres the kicker: I roasted some oak chips to a deep dark beautiful vanilla smelling hue, and then proceeded to soak them in dark Caribbean rum for two weeks. I will then be 'dry hopping' my cider with this oak (after letting the booze dry off of course, otherwise the cider would end up tasting very boozy).
I have pre-sweetened with lactose. I added 1.5lb to give me an estimated FG of 1.009, right around my favourite level.

I'll post back with results!

Sounds great safa... im asumimg your using the lactose so you can let the cider ferment out and not worry about the final product being too dry... does it seem to pair up pretty well? Does ot seem to add body to the cider? Do you think Malto would have the same effect? Very interesting for sure...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Personally I think it pairs wonderfully, it definitely adds some body and allows some sweetness to remain like you mentioned. Once this full size batch it being served to long time cider drinkers I will report back with their reactions.

Maltodextrin would add body, but from what I've heard (no personal experience) it doesn't add any sweetness. Might be worth a try though. As far as I know, you could add lactose or malto at any point, so maybe do a small test batch of regular cider, split it and stir in varying amounts of each to determine which you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm interested in that coffee cider recipe. Sounds odd and interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back