1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what i understand it wont fit the 1 gallon glass jugs

Mine fits in all my glass jugs, from about 1.5 L through 1 gal. (They all take a size 6.5 stopper.) There may be some narrower-mouthed jugs out there, I suppose. There's not a whole lot of wiggle room, though, so you can't quite tilt the jug to siphon out of the corner like I often do from a larger carboy.

If I were going to do lots of 1 gallon brewing, a shorter siphon would be convenient just because the full-sized one is a bit unwieldy. I get tired of having to re-sanitize when I scrape the ceiling with it while trying to empty excess sanitizer from the hose.

h22lude said:
I have a regular size auto-siphon. Will that work for 1 or 2 gallon batches or is it best to have a mini auto-siphon?

zeg said:
Mine fits in all my glass jugs, from about 1.5 L through 1 gal. (They all take a size 6.5 stopper.) There may be some narrower-mouthed jugs out there, I suppose. There's not a whole lot of wiggle room, though, so you can't quite tilt the jug to siphon out of the corner like I often do from a larger carboy.

If I were going to do lots of 1 gallon brewing, a shorter siphon would be convenient just because the full-sized one is a bit unwieldy. I get tired of having to re-sanitize when I scrape the ceiling with it while trying to empty excess sanitizer from the hose.

+1 zeg

Full size works and I used it for quite a few batches before I got tired of fighting it. Little too long so it's awkward and top heavy and like zeg said just plain unwieldy. There pretty cheap and s great investment but definitely not necessary. I use it all the time lol

+1 zeg

Full size works and I used it for quite a few batches before I got tired of fighting it. Little too long so it's awkward and top heavy and like zeg said just plain unwieldy. There pretty cheap and s great investment but definitely not necessary. I use it all the time lol

That was my thinking when I asked the question. I was sure I could use it but it would be cumbersome. For $8 I think I'll get the mini.

Now another question...1 gallon jug or 2 gallon bucket? The 1 gallon jug is nice and small but I feel it is better to have a little more head room just in case fermentation goes crazy. Any thoughts?

That was my thinking when I asked the question. I was sure I could use it but it would be cumbersome. For $8 I think I'll get the mini.

Now another question...1 gallon jug or 2 gallon bucket? The 1 gallon jug is nice and small but I feel it is better to have a little more head room just in case fermentation goes crazy. Any thoughts?

If you are starting from scratch, it wouldn't hurt to grab some two gallon buckets. I personally just use the 1 gallon glass carboys.

If you are starting from scratch, it wouldn't hurt to grab some two gallon buckets. I personally just use the 1 gallon glass carboys.

Yeah the 2 gallons seems a little safer. That is all I really need...bucket and mini auto siphon.

Every once in a while I see a used Mr Beer at a yard sale and I've often thought about picking one up to use as a fermentor. Having no personal experience with Mr Beer, is there anything I should look for to make sure I am getting a 'working' one or are they pretty indestructible?

Every once in a while I see a used Mr Beer at a yard sale and I've often thought about picking one up to use as a fermentor. Having no personal experience with Mr Beer, is there anything I should look for to make sure I am getting a 'working' one or are they pretty indestructible?

Besides the obvious cracks and scratches inside, make sure the spigot is in working order. I will always pick up a lbk if I see it at a garage sale or Goodwill, great small batch fermentors.
Edit: I always unscrew the spigot to make sure they didnt just have it sitting in gunk forever and make sure its not gonna be brittle plastic

I haven't been up to it this weekend but I did dryhop a batch. I'm itching to a couple specialty brews next weekend but I'm having a hard time deciding.

Maybe either a Belgian, kolsch, altbier, porter, RIS or a Barleywine.

So.....maybe I'll pick my top two!

Also have a imperial IPA conditioning right now and man that tasted fantastic at bottling!

dtfleming said:
Have a 1gal Belgian wit/white ipa fermenting and prob going to brew an Irish Red next week.

Cool avatar. I assume that's your label? I like it!

First bottling experience today, and I didn't like it!

I tried to use a mini autosiphon, but it's too damn short for a Better Bottle!:mad: So I will see if I can cobble something together for my next bottling in a few weeks...

The Pale ale was pretty tasty; even my wife liked it. The English bitter left something to be desired. I couldn't put a flavor to it, but I'll see what happens over the next 3 weeks.

I have a chocolate stout in the fermenter @ ~1 week, and an experimental bitter up for tomorrow now that I have available carboys...

And I'm drinking someone else's beer for 3 more weeks...

Im working......but I would rather be brewing
Doesn't your bumper sticker say that?

No brewing for me this weekend. 44 full 750ml bottles, 93 full 12 oz bottles, 2 gallons of cider in the bottling bucket, 4 1/2 gallons concord wine in primary, and about another gallon in miscellaneous other bottles. I wouldn't even be making the concord wine, but I finished the last bottle from the last batch.

EDIT: Cider in the bucket turned out to be much closer to 1 gallon. It's a bit hard to tell with the lid on, and a lot more trub in the bucket then I anticipated. Moved that back to one of the original cider jugs. I'm going to need the bottling bucket in about another week for the wine.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale bottles in the sink right now to get the labels off. Looking forward to my first batch!

...No brewing for me this weekend. 44 full 750ml bottles, 93 full 12 oz bottles, 2 gallons of cider in the bottling bucket, 4 1/2 gallons concord wine in primary, and about another gallon in miscellaneous other bottles. I wouldn't even be making the concord wine, but I finished the last bottle from the last batch...
Hmm, maybe I should do inventory this weekend. I'm not totally sure what's in all those bottles.

I bottled my first batch yesterday. it is a www.smallbatchhomebrew.com East Coast Steam Ale. It smelled delicious. I should have tasted it but for some reason I didn't. It sat in the fermenter for about a month because I didn't have my bottling tools yet. SMH.

Now I'm looking for my next brew. I'm thinking of a Blue Moon clone for the wife. But, unfortunately, smallbatchhomebrew closed up shop last week. Does anybody have a recommendation of where to get 1 gallon recipe kits that are good and may have a Blue Moon clone?

BikerBrewer said:
Welcome to the small side. Brewing up a NB Dead Ringer kit right now, sampling my irish Red too. Needs a little more time conditioning but not bad. I'm not drinking at 6am, just sampling.

That NB dead ringer is a great beer to have on hand! I tried that and then scaled it up it was so good.

I bottled my first batch yesterday. it is a www.smallbatchhomebrew.com East Coast Steam Ale. It smelled delicious. I should have tasted it but for some reason I didn't. It sat in the fermenter for about a month because I didn't have my bottling tools yet. SMH.

Now I'm looking for my next brew. I'm thinking of a Blue Moon clone for the wife. But, unfortunately, smallbatchhomebrew closed up shop last week. Does anybody have a recommendation of where to get 1 gallon recipe kits that are good and may have a Blue Moon clone?

Brooklyn Brew Shop has one gallon all grain kits that are good. Plus if your all grain you can always look into putting that Blue Moon clone together yourself!

ToddB said:

Here's a recipe that a lot of members seem to like https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/austin-homebrews-blue-moon-clone-ag-30190/

Just scale it down to your batch size. It's pretty easy to do actually and pick up everything at your LHBS. If you have to mail order it, you may have to buy a little extra and store it. Do you mill your grain or get it milled?

Any Nottingham aficionados in here? I can see my yeast is attenuating in my oatmeal stout, my airlock is chug chug chugging away, but I only have about 1/4 inch of krausen.

Normal?

Hello all,
New small batcher here, my second batch is bubbling away. Brewed four five gallon batches and my wife bought me a one gallon kit thinking it was a five gallon ingredient kit for Christmas. Just cracked the the first one from the Christmas present a Jalapeno Saison from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Lightest beer i have made so far but it is delicious.
Liking the small batch world so far.

jwalk4 said:
Any Nottingham aficionados in here? I can see my yeast is attenuating in my oatmeal stout, my airlock is chug chug chugging away, but I only have about 1/4 inch of krausen.

Normal?

Hey jwalk.. Not an expert but I love Nottingham. It usually finishes up quick in 3-4 days and cleans up a beer very nice. Great choice in that stout!

Brewing my 1 gallon kit from Northern Brew. I got another week on my first batch which was full grain from BBS. THis is much easier obviously. We'll see how it taste. My guess is good.

Back