1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'll probably do is quickly formulate a second recipe, I'm debating if I want to do another IPA with different hops, or just the same hops. I'd only need to buy more grains at 1.45 a pound already crushed base malt. I have enough extra carapils and 40L in my recipe. I'm thinking maybe bottle some Sorachi Ace IPA.

I make starters for larger batches sometimes. I just pitch dried yeast directly into the fermentor for the smaller ones though.

jwalk4 said:
It's a shame that you have to make a starter for only 1 gallon. 1 Gallon carboys don't leave a lot of room for a starter.

You don't. Half a vial or use dry.

Do any of you guys use slurry? I do all the time. I have some left over vials from liquid yeast, when I do a batch, I harvest some slurry. If I don't feel like even using dry yeast, I pitch the slurry and it takes off fine. Especially on these small batches.

Sometimes, but usually for and from larger batches. I don't usually bother going through the whole yeast washing thing. I just decant once after the yeast has settled.

Leadgolem said:
Sometimes, but usually for and from larger batches. I don't usually bother going through the whole yeast washing thing. I just decant once after the yeast has settled.

Oh, I don't wash... I harvest trub slurry.... And pitch it! It works great if I I have a batch going every 2 weeks.

Oh, I don't wash... I harvest trub slurry.... And pitch it! It works great if I I have a batch going every 2 weeks.
I've thrown these in the fridge for a couple of months and they still work well. They do take an extra day or so to get started though.

Total newbie with beer smith, and making my own recipes. So bear with me. A few weeks back a buddy and me went to a Flat 12 tasting. Before we went we were looking at all the brews they have and hoping what they would bring. Sadly they didn't bring the one we wanted to try the most, a Tangerine Porter, a black white beer as Flat 12 calls it. While we were tasting one of the brewers came by and we started talking to him about it, basically its a porter with wit ingredients added. So here is my try at this.

1 lbs 4.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 71.4 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1 14.3 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 %
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 16.1 IBUs
0.15 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.15 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)
Zest of 2 tangerines
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35.49 ml]

Now the fun happens. I guessed on alot of the measurements, and compared them to my other kits i have gotten. Then the hops, I figured since it was just a black wit it should have the hops from the wit and not the porter right? Should i use chocolate malt instead of the 120?
Thanks.

Total newbie with beer smith, and making my own recipes. So bear with me. A few weeks back a buddy and me went to a Flat 12 tasting. Before we went we were looking at all the brews they have and hoping what they would bring. Sadly they didn't bring the one we wanted to try the most, a Tangerine Porter, a black white beer as Flat 12 calls it. While we were tasting one of the brewers came by and we started talking to him about it, basically its a porter with wit ingredients added. So here is my try at this.

1 lbs 4.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 71.4 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1 14.3 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 %
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 16.1 IBUs
0.15 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
0.15 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)
Zest of 2 tangerines
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35.49 ml]

Now the fun happens. I guessed on alot of the measurements, and compared them to my other kits i have gotten. Then the hops, I figured since it was just a black wit it should have the hops from the wit and not the porter right? Should i use chocolate malt instead of the 120?
Thanks.

Thats a ton of black patent, I think that will end up way too dark and way too roasty, but thats just me.

Side note: noticed you were from funcie. Been meaning to make a trip there since my sister lives there and head to the herot. Jealous if you go there. haha

Ok i will scale back the black patent, say half that to for steeping?

Hoping to go there tomorrow actually, that is where the tasting was also. Only fun thing here really, and it is always worth a stop if you are in funcie

Thats a ton of black patent

Agreed. Way too much black patent. I did a 5-gallon batch of stout recently. For 5 gallons of beer with an 11lb grain bill, I think the recipe only used 8oz of black patent (among other things).

I dont know this beer you're trying to replicate. But based on the description ("porter with wit ingredients added") - why not use some dehusked carafa or some dark-roasted wheat malt. That would give you the color of a porter or stout, without the ashy/acrid bite or astringency.

Mooglebass said:
Ok i will scale back the black patent, say half that to for steeping?

Hoping to go there tomorrow actually, that is where the tasting was also. Only fun thing here really, and it is always worth a stop if you are in funcie

You know another good choice is Briess Blackprinz malt. Morebeer just started carrying it and I picked some up and I'm really impressed. Very dark and roasty but incredibly smooth!

You know another good choice is Briess Blackprinz malt. Morebeer just started carrying it and I picked some up and I'm really impressed. Very dark and roasty but incredibly smooth!

+1 I love the Blackprinz and the Midnight Wheat, either would shine in that recipe

I'm doing a 1 gallon pale ale tonight, with a really simple all grain bill. I started my timer for the boil, and when it rang, I thought, that didn't feel like 30 minutes. I added my 30 min hops and cranked the timer back to 30 more minutes. Left the room and came back, and the timer was down to 15 minutes! It took about 5 minutes to run down from 30.

I am guessing from my glances at the clock that it was really only about 15 minutes when the timer went off the first time. That's just a guess. So...

I fished out the flavor hops (in a sack) and set the microwave timer for 15 min. I'll add the hops back in at what I believe may be about 30 minutes into the boil. I suspect it might be a little higher in bitterness because of the 5 minute in-and-out hop addition, but I hope there will still be enough flavor left on those hops, too.

Argh!!

Also hoping the timer wasn't wacky for the mash, but it felt like a full hour.

Ostomo517 said:
+1 I love the Blackprinz and the Midnight Wheat, either would shine in that recipe

I have been wanting to try the midnight wheat too. It's sounds like a great malt!

I have done one batch with it and the beer turned out great, big roasted espresso and wheat bread aroma and flavor. I also used maple syrup in the recipe and it paired great! Definately gonna use it again.

All this Midnight talk made me pop one, Midnight Maple Wheat.......delicious!

ForumRunner_20130125_224124.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130125_223956.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130125_223956.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 284
I'm drinking some of my ginger cider with kola nut stuff. I was worried the bottles had over carbonated before I pasteurized them. They are just perfect! You do have to pour it into a glass immediately though.

Is morebeer the only place to get those malts? I really want to try that midnight wheat with maybe blood orange in it. Or just try it period. I love hefes ans whit. I didn't find them on Austin homebrew, where I'm ordering from this time. They have a few kits I want to try. So I'm trying them this time.

Also, is it looked at diffrent if you use extract more than doing all grain? Say in like a comp or something? Or just personal preference.

Is morebeer the only place to get those malts? I really want to try that midnight wheat with maybe blood orange in it. Or just try it period. I love hefes ans whit. I didn't find them on Austin homebrew, where I'm ordering from this time. They have a few kits I want to try. So I'm trying them this time.

Also, is it looked at diffrent if you use extract more than doing all grain? Say in like a comp or something? Or just personal preference.

Not sure about ordering, im lucky enough to have a great LHBS near me that stocks all that stuff

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Yeah we got it in at the lhbs I work at so I got some to play with.

Which one you work at Jolly? Shameless plugs are allowed lol

Also, I just popped open my black IPA with prinz, wow what a great IPA.

Now brewing my assassin IPA. It's got magnum, Citra, Willamette for spice notes and a little chinook! Love it!

divrguy said:
Which one you work at Jolly? Shameless plugs are allowed lol

Also, I just popped open my black IPA with prinz, wow what a great IPA.

Now brewing my assassin IPA. It's got magnum, Citra, Willamette for spice notes and a little chinook! Love it!

Wow I just opened a SMASH Santiam hopped IPA and I really like it! A noble hop taste!

Hey guys! I'm new here and to homebrewing. I received a kit from www.smallbatchhomebrew.com as a Christmas gift from a friend. I just brewed up my first batch. It is an east coast steamer ale. I can't wait to try it in a month or so!

cheesecake said:
Anyone local need a corona mill? The price is right.. free.99

****! I wish you were local... I've been thinking on pulling the trigger on one. Starting to malt my own barley and blendering it isn't working

Is muncie local? lol

Back to my tang porter, if i use a half pound of the midnight wheat, will that be too much?

I started with one-gallon batches (I bought that Brooklyn Brew Shop kit; I still use most of the equipment), moved into five-gallon partial mash kits, and am moving back into one-gallon all grain. It allows me to experiment more with my beers, and get a variety in the fridge. That's better than quantity, in my opinion.

That doesn't mean I'll stop doing five-gallon batches; I do have to accommodate multiple people, after all.

I harvested a quart jar batch of rice wine today. I guess that's a little small even for us 1 gallon guys eh? I got about 14 ounce of wine. The quart jar was completely full and compacted with rice and powdered rice yeast balls.

The total batch time was 26 days. First pic is from day 25, sorry no day 1 or progressive pics, second one is what I got after it was harvested today.

day25.JPG

ricewineharvest day 26.JPG

Back