1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plan to do my first one gallon batch momentarily! Been doing 5 gallon batches for a while now, just wanted to do some small scale experimentation. Pretty excited about this. :mug:

Sounds okay to me. I'd just be extra cautious cleaning that turkey baster.

Today, even though this isn't a good thing, I'm particularly proud. I got beer fermenting so hard right now I got some foam coming out my blowoff tube. Temp is a constant 66 degrees. It's the Nottingham ale yeast.

Grats! One gallon is super easy to get full boil, full utilization. It's a little time consuming for not much beer but its also much cheaper and low risk :)

Today, even though this isn't a good thing, I'm particularly proud. I got beer fermenting so hard right now I got some foam coming out my blowoff tube. Temp is a constant 66 degrees. It's the Nottingham ale yeast.

Mine do that all the time.....

So I'm having a bit of a conundrum.

I am getting ready to buy my kit and stuff and I come across a website that sells Amber Glass Bottles (you know like the same basic color as the brown bottles used for brewing) and they sell them in packs of 4 for 18 bucks. Pretty great deal but shipping is also 18 bucks.

So do I buy the bottles that will keep out more light and be less likely to get skunky beer but pay 9 bucks each, or do I go with the clear glass jug from the LHBS for 5 bucks a pop.

Just cover the clear jug with an old black t shirt or black garbage bag and stash it in a dark closet/cabinet/box. That'll keep out plenty of light.

I am getting ready to buy my kit and stuff and I come across a website that sells Amber Glass Bottles (you know like the same basic color as the brown bottles used for brewing) and they sell them in packs of 4 for 18 bucks. Pretty great deal but shipping is also 18 bucks.

So do I buy the bottles that will keep out more light and be less likely to get skunky beer but pay 9 bucks each, or do I go with the clear glass jug from the LHBS for 5 bucks a pop.

Any link to those bottles

I would just use the clear ones and keep them in a dark place.

I'm back! Just bought ingredients for 3 batches and will be bottling 3 batches next week. Finally things are starting to slow around here and I can relax a bit.

Actually strike that, I just realized I over bought grain for my two berliner wiesses. So now I can either make 3 or find something else to do with a mix of pils and wheat. Any suggestions on something fun to do with an extra pound of pils and wheat (about 1.031 if I brewed straight) I have some dme I could boost it with too.

Those better be way bigger then beer bottles. Northern brewer sells a case of 24 of those for 12 bucks. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/beer-bottles-12-oz.html

Hopefully I misunderstood and those are 1 gallon jugs. If they are 1 gallon jugs, could you post a link please?

Any link to those bottles

LINK

You can get them with some kind of fancy lid but for what I want I figured I'd be good with the bottles since I'd be attaching a bung and airlock. Hard to really tell by the picture but they look to be exactly the same as the clear ones in design but with a different color.

Those better be way bigger then beer bottles. Northern brewer sells a case of 24 of those for 12 bucks. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/beer-bottles-12-oz.html

Hopefully I misunderstood and those are 1 gallon jugs. If they are 1 gallon jugs, could you post a link please?

They are 1 gallon jugs. I just added the link above this post. I wouldn't buy 12 ouncers for that much, my LHBS sells them for 12 bucks. Hell for less than the 36 bucks including shipping I could buy the swing top bottles.

I brewed my first all grain Saturday, it was centennial blonde, that's on the forums. I brewed 1.5 gallons of it so i could have some fun with the half gallon. I plan on adding raspberries to it. I know to cook them down to 160 degrees to kill stuff, but my question is how much? 1 cup, half cup, i am not sure where to start with this part of it.

I did 20% of the final volume for my blackberry ale, and it wasn't enough. It is a much starker and martinet beer than your blonde ale, so I would say 20% of the volume that goes into the secondary is good... Expect a vigorous fermentation after you transfer onto the berries as well. I needed a blow off tube for mine.

Also, look into how you will filter berries and stuff out before you bottle. I am still searching for a good method that won't oxidize my beer. Pantyhose and grain sacks over raking cane result in bubbling, unless I am doing it wrong...

Thanks for the advice about the yeast, guys!

White Labs is pretty much unavailable except by special order in my part of the country. Special order it is, I suppose!

Or, perhaps...road trip to Grand Forks for yeast!!!

I use these for saving washed yeast, and they would work well for your purposes. They come sterile, so there's no sanitizing or sterilization required. Just grab one and go. They're super cheap ($0.31/each, delivered), and one purchase will last you a long time.

Notty will do that...I found that if you drop it to 60 you can sometimes contain it...but you will lose much of the flavor profile of notty.

jollyistheroger said:
actually strike that, i just realized i over bought grain for my two berliner wiesses. So now i can either make 3 or find something else to do with a mix of pils and wheat. Any suggestions on something fun to do with an extra pound of pils and wheat (about 1.031 if i brewed straight) i have some dme i could boost it with too.

lambic!!!!

I would be interested to hear what others think is the best (easiest, most efficient, least mess, cleanest beer, lowest amount of O2) way to bottle 1 gallon batches that are fermented in glass jugs. I have 9 different 1-gal batches that I need to bottle at the same time, so figuring out a good process will be beneficial.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:

I think you mean for fermenting? If so, use whatever you can get ahold of and just keep it out of the light. No biggie!

I think you mean for fermenting? If so, use whatever you can get ahold of and just keep it out of the light. No biggie!

It is for fermenting. I figure I'll probably just go with the clear jug cause I need the bungs and other things and might as well start with 1 1 gallon batch at a time and ramp up to higher numbers.

It is for fermenting. I figure I'll probably just go with the clear jug cause I need the bungs and other things and might as well start with 1 1 gallon batch at a time and ramp up to higher numbers.
I would recommend that you save yourself some hassle and start with 3. Your going to be itching to start your second or third batch way before your first should really get bottled.... Well, I was anyway. :)

I would be interested to hear what others think is the best (easiest, most efficient, least mess, cleanest beer, lowest amount of O2) way to bottle 1 gallon batches that are fermented in glass jugs. I have 9 different 1-gal batches that I need to bottle at the same time, so figuring out a good process will be beneficial.

I rack to a one gallon jug with the priming sugar and just add the bottling wand to the siphon and bottle from there. Very little o2, no mess unless you make one.

I would recommend that you save yourself some hassle and start with 3. Your going to be itching to start your second or third batch way before your first should really get bottled.... Well, I was anyway. :)

Luckily my LHBS is only like 10 minutes away so I just have a quick jump to go there. I figure I'm gonna start with this simcoe/amarillo IPA recipe I've formulated to see if I have the technique down, and I'm gonna do it BIAB style.

Luckily my LHBS is only like 10 minutes away so I just have a quick jump to go there. I figure I'm gonna start with this simcoe/amarillo IPA recipe I've formulated to see if I have the technique down, and I'm gonna do it BIAB style.
Nice. I order most of my stuff online.

I just finished a bowl of icecream with some dried malt extract on it. It was good. :)

Brewed that Munich pale ale last night. Forgot that this was going to be a one gallon batch, not a 5 L (1.3 gallon) batch. Ended up with an extra quart of starter wort, which isn't bad... my gravity on this beer was going to be too high anyway, so cutting it down was fine.

I rack to a one gallon jug with the priming sugar and just add the bottling wand to the siphon and bottle from there. Very little o2, no mess unless you make one.

In other words, you siphon into another one gallon jug as a bottling bucket of sorts, start another siphon with the wand attached, and bottled that way? Do you find much waste goes on with multiple siphons?

Here's what I'm bottling...

ForumRunner_20130119_081440.jpg

In other words, you siphon into another one gallon jug as a bottling bucket of sorts, start another siphon with the wand attached, and bottled that way? Do you find much waste goes on with multiple siphons?

You leave the trub behind on the first rack and then take the tip off to get more when bottling

I probably am not going to get to bottle at the three week mark like I wanted to. I am sick and probably won't feel like bottling. It will be more like four weeks out. Will this affect the conditioning? Again, I am brewing the Northern Brewer 1 gallon Irish red ale.

You leave the trub behind on the first rack and then take the tip off to get more when bottling

How would you do that with a mini-autosiphon? Or do you just use the racking cane? If my trub isn't too high I'm thinking of just buying conditioning tablets and putting thme in my bottles and seeing how that works with my auto siphon, because if I can't use my miniautosiphon to bottle I might as well just use a rackign cane.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:

Personally I like 2 and 3 gallon buckets or containers. Mainly because I rarely brew just at a gallon. I will brew 1.5 usually as the smallest batch and more often 1.75 or 2.5 so these containers for me are the best size.

ocluke said:

What ya go going on there!

ocluke said:
Oops, that was just the yeast starters.

Now I see... Lol. You are officially the biggest one gallon brewer I know ...lol awesome dude!

How would you do that with a mini-autosiphon? Or do you just use the racking cane? If my trub isn't too high I'm thinking of just buying conditioning tablets and putting thme in my bottles and seeing how that works with my auto siphon, because if I can't use my miniautosiphon to bottle I might as well just use a rackign cane.

The little black cap comes off the end of the auto siphon. If you are going the carb tab route use the carb drops(the big ones) not the little tabs, half the stuff I bottled with the little ones didn't carbed and I've read similar things online from others.

The little black cap comes off the end of the auto siphon. If you are going the carb tab route use the carb drops(the big ones) not the little tabs, half the stuff I bottled with the little ones didn't carbed and I've read similar things online from others.

Ahh I wasn't sure if that was possible for the autosiphon to work under that condition. I was planning on using the large ones, that's the one my LHBS sells.

Ahh I wasn't sure if that was possible for the autosiphon to work under that condition. I was planning on using the large ones, that's the one my LHBS sells.

Yep it does. It just won't leave the trub behind because it sucks from the bottom not the sides.

Brewing up a honey IIPA right now, getting excited

I've got a 1 gallon margarita mix dispensing bucket that's destined to be my small batch bottling bucket. I plan on decanting into the bucket, then giving the brew a couple days in the bucket to fully settle before bottling.

EDIT: Sorry, it a 96 oz bucket. So 3/4 of a gallon. That is actually about right when you factor in some trub loss and headspace for a fermentor that is exactly 1 gallon.

I probably am not going to get to bottle at the three week mark like I wanted to. I am sick and probably won't feel like bottling. It will be more like four weeks out. Will this affect the conditioning? Again, I am brewing the Northern Brewer 1 gallon Irish red ale.

Should be fine! I've left mine for well over a month before. Bottle it when you can, but it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back