1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to put together some "emergency" kits in case I get snowed in this winter. It would be nice to make a few batches while I can't leave. In fact I think I'll do that this weekend. UH Oh, ideas are flowing now, anyone know how many minerals make it into snow and could I make a beer using only snow for my water?

do you realize how much snow you would have to melt to get enough water to survive a boil?

btw... i know a one gallon brewer who recently bought just about enough supplies to survive a chicago winter.

After a long and tiring battle with university finals, I am finally getting back to brewing. My pipeline is dry, I have empty fermenters, and I have a serious hankering to brew something up real quick.

i remember those days.

personally, i would "prime the pipeline" with a trip to the local liquor store for some craft brews

Greetings, all.

I'm new to the home brewing game but I'm loving it. Glad to see there are other 1 gallon enthusiasts than myself. While more beer is always better, I find myself wondering what I would do with a new batch of 50 bottles every month. I guess drink it...but you know what I mean.

edit: Also, my kitchen sucks.

Greetings, all.

I'm new to the home brewing game but I'm loving it. Glad to see there are other 1 gallon enthusiasts than myself. While more beer is always better, I find myself wondering what I would do with a new batch of 50 bottles every month. I guess drink it...but you know what I mean.

Welcome to our small corner of the world

Hopefully one day I can go in there and buy a ton of grain and have him help me out to my car. I also have way to many hops

Greetings, all.

first of all, welcome to the place.

second, the advantage of small batches for me is that i don't feel guilty about brewing every weekend, because i run out of beer in a week.

:)

Update on the ubber sweet brew setup (well I think its uber sweet) all the parts are in. Now I need to find the time to put it alk together.

hey cheese... i know what you mean about having way too many hops... i think i may have enough hops right now for about 6 months worth of brews, and that if i brew every week.

i'm working my way through them, but it's going to take a while

hey cheese... i know what you mean about having way too many hops... i think i may have enough hops right now for about 6 months worth of brews, and that if i brew every week.

i'm working my way through them, but it's going to take a while

I have about 6 lbs of different varieties. Btw any one need any centennial or goldings. Not sure if they are ekg or us they woukd be free for pickup they are 2 years old and make great beer. They were vac sealed and frozen most of the time

yo, guys... i posted a recipe for a dunkel yesterday... based on various inputs, i adjusted it a tick.

what do you think?

=======

Wize Ole Dunkel
Style: Dunkelweizen OG: 1.047
Type: Extract FG: 1.012
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.59 %
Calories: 154 IBU's: 15.65
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 1.60 Gal
Color: 15.6 SRM Batch Size: 1.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.036 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
200.00 g 30.77 % Wheat Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
200.00 g 30.77 % Wheat Dry Extract 15 mins 1.044
25.00 g 3.85 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
50.00 g 7.69 % Amber Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
50.00 g 7.69 % Amber Dry Extract 15 mins 1.044
25.00 g 3.85 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
100.00 g 15.38 % Wheat Malt, Ger 60 mins 1.039

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
3.00 g 12.69 Mt. Hood 60 mins 6.10
2.00 g 2.96 Hallertauer 15 mins 4.30

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
0.40 pkg Hefeweizen Ale White Labs 0300

"find time"?

who are you kidding? my money says you stay up all night, so it's ready for brew day tomorrow.

I wish. I really want to finish it but I dont see that happening Until after Christmas.

Once im done with this setup I get to figure out what im going to do for a kegerator. 2 taps isnt enough. I picked up a stand up freezer and im thinking 6 regular taps and 2 nitro taps for stouts. With 2.5 gallon kegs

cheesecake said:
Yes the quart jars hold a pound. I label the jar with a mailing label 2x4. That way I can have multiples open and not worry abiut mixing them up if I had just labeled the lids

Great idea Cheese thanks

Brewing a batch of Ed Worts Hause Ale. Using all centennial hops though to mix it up. Of course I just popped a bottle of apfelwein so I'm feeling goooood! Lol

image-1053930627.jpg

image-3219185051.jpg

image-444295129.jpg

good to know... i've been using 1 1/4 inch inner diameter tubing, which is a pain (and also a little pricey). do you use the tubes with your new buckets, too?

Got a lot going on now!!! Steak is about to be cooked and my boil is getting there.

image-2137228331.jpg

image-3343973384.jpg

it looks really good, but there's no way i would start cooking that steak until 5 minutes after hot break, when i was absolutely sure that the boil was "under control".

i can just about guarantee i would have stuff all over the stove.

dadshomebrewing said:
btw... what's in the glass?

I love 1 gal brewing as its easy to keep an eye in things. I got a 6 & a 4 year old running around too lol. Apfelwein is in the glass; aged 11 months and its good!

I was able to make a Bells Two Hearted clone batch today (all centennial too) and tomorrow I'm bottling up my Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. Just had one of my black IPA's and probably another in a few minutes. Great brew day!

Hmm, I think I'll brew some extra special rocket fuel. In honor of surviving another apocalypse.

Now what should I use for the base. Fruit juice is the easiest. Maybe this would be a good time to do that nutella cider that's been bouncing around in the back of my head....

Leadgolem said:
Hmm, I think I'll brew some extra special rocket fuel. In honor of surviving another apocalypse.

Now what should I use for the base. Fruit juice is the easiest. Maybe this would be a good time to do that nutella cider that's been bouncing around in the back of my head....

I remember a thread about a Nutella ale recently

Woot! Finally brewing after little more than month away from it. I have a simple extract brown ale on the go right now. Just had to get something in the carboy.

Light Dry extract, Crystal and chocolate malts, and Willamette for hops.

Will do an all grain pale ale again soon, that stuff evaporated quickly.

my dunkel is in the pot... came within an eyelash of a boil over... but i caught it.

that's the good news.

the bad news is that after next weekend i'm going back out on the road every other weekend for a bit. will definitely "truncate" my brewing weekends a bit

mb82 said:
Just scored 4 2 gal buckets w/ lids from the local bakery. One is being turned into bottling bucket. Debating what to brew in them first.

I got five 3.5 gallon buckets and one 2 gallon bucket all with lids from the supermarket bakery this week. Have a three gallon batch of cider going in one of them already. A side effect of that is now I have two nice one gallon glass carboys left over from the apple juice and am planning on experimenting with some one gallon batches :)

Great thread to study, thanks.

Lanceman said:
I got five 3.5 gallon buckets and one 2 gallon bucket all with lids from the supermarket bakery this week. Have a three gallon batch of cider going in one of them already. A side effect of that is now I have two nice one gallon glass carboys left over from the apple juice and am planning on experimenting with some one gallon batches :)

Great thread to study, thanks.

Glad to have ya lanceman.

dadshomebrewing said:
my dunkel is in the pot... came within an eyelash of a boil over... but i caught it.

that's the good news.

the bad news is that after next weekend i'm going back out on the road every other weekend for a bit. will definitely "truncate" my brewing weekends a bit

Time to stock up Dads! If you timed your batches right, you could be pulling one out of the fermenter just as you were back and then into bottle conditioning.

I had a great day today. Did a batch and bottled one.

So my brown ale is showing no signs of fermentation after 12 hours....

I know I shouldn't panic, and I'm not, after all it was a freaking extract batch for goodness sakes.

Aren't weall just like a bunch of nervous, first time fathers, when we put our beers in the carboy?

Back in the day when we worried about every belch, burp, snort and fart?

And, I promise, I'm exactly the same. I'm wondering if I could hook up a baby monitor kind of thing so I can hear the steady burp, burp, burp, from the blowoff tube to know things are ok.

Somehow though, I doubt that would be well received .

Time to stock up Dads!
I had a great day did a batch and bottled one.

I bottled four gallons of beer this week, and have a couple more coming up.

I should be ok for beer.

The problem is that when I'm only home two days a week swmbo sort of has this expectation that I do something other than play golf or brew more beer.

jwalk4 said:
So my brown ale is showing no signs of fermentation after 12 hours....

I know I shouldn't panic, and I'm not, after all it was a freaking extract batch for goodness sakes.

That's funny! I've done it!

dadshomebrewing said:
Aren't weall just like a bunch of nervous, first time fathers, when we put our beers in the carboy?

Back in the day when we worried about every belch, burp, snort and fart?

And, I promise, I'm exactly the same. I'm wondering if I could hook up a baby monitor kind of thing so I can hear the steady burp, burp, burp, from the blowoff tube to know things are ok.

Somehow though, I doubt that would be well received .

The batch I brewed Friday just got going tonight but I checked it last night ( like it really had time to start fermenting) then this morning at 6 - 9 - noon and then about an hour ago it finally went!! Ahhhhhh I can relax now lol

Back