1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottled my Christmas Cranberry today, and for the first time ever i can actually TASTE the different ingredients (including the cranberries).

i haven't decided if i like it, but i can taste them.

now to wait for "time in a bottle".

:)

So, brewday is upon me and I could use some advice. I just loaded my strike water into my kettle and set up my grain bag, and I've only got about an inch of headspace left in the kettle - am I gonna have room for my grain (about 2.5lbs)?

I'm considering removing about a half gallon of water, then doing a small sparge once the mash-in is overwith and the grain bag has been removed from the main kettle to bring it back up to volume before the boil.

Not worried about any of this, per se - just want to know what the best course of action is. Thanks y'all!

Give me the particulars and I'll put them into promash to figure out the volume or try http://http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

@BigRock: No worries man, but thanks. I was just about to come back and call off the request for advice - I decided to back off a half gallon and sparge after the initial mash to bring it back up to full volume. I'm determined not to take this first batch too seriously, so if it doesn't work out, so be it. I bet it'll be good though.

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm gonna go have me a Wookey Jack while my kettle heats up. :D

@BigRock: No worries man, but thanks. I was just about to come back and call off the request for advice - I decided to back off a half gallon and sparge after the initial mash to bring it back up to full volume. I'm determined not to take this first batch too seriously, so if it doesn't work out, so be it. I bet it'll be good though.

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm gonna go have me a Wookey Jack while my kettle heats up. :D

No worries...That was my usual procedure when I was brewing 2.5 gallon batches with my 2 small brew pots. Mash in one - sparge in the other.

Good luck

So, brewday is upon me and I could use some advice. I just loaded my strike water into my kettle and set up my grain bag, and I've only got about an inch of headspace left in the kettle - am I gonna have room for my grain (about 2.5lbs)?

I'm considering removing about a half gallon of water, then doing a small sparge once the mash-in is overwith and the grain bag has been removed from the main kettle to bring it back up to volume before the boil.

Not worried about any of this, per se - just want to know what the best course of action is. Thanks y'all!

That is entirely possible, I have done something similar.
Youll need 2 pots to do a quasi sparging biab sparging. I put 3.5 quarts in one pot and did the normal steeping, then mash out. I pulled the bag and put it in a colander above the pot to drain while I heated the other pot too steeping temp. I dropped the bag into the other pot and gave it a good stirring to try and get all the sugars out. i gave it a few minutes to rest and removed the bag, combined the pots and hit my preboil exactly. Once i boiled off I had 1.5 gallons, fermented it in a LBK from a mr beer kit. worked out dang near perfect. It only raised my efficency by a couple of percent, not really much but enough to warrant 20 extra minutes.

I have been thinking of buying some of the insulation people use to wrap there keggles to wrap my kettle in, has anyone else tryed this?

Brewday again tomorrow, super excited because the long wait has happened and I get to finally open a batch 001(of small scale) bottle to see how it turned out. I will be brewing batch 007, so its been a hard wait to get this far without opening something yet, but didn't want to risk opening a bottle when it didnt have enough time to carb. Again if anyone is gonna be up and wants to watch a stream in the morning of my brew day just let me know. I'll probably just do it anyway and post the link here.

post it up ill try to watch some while at work.

Ordered my pot for my 2.5 gallon setup ill measure when it comes in to see if it will be doable with 1 gallon batches

dadshomebrewing said:
bottled my Christmas Cranberry today, and for the first time ever i can actually TASTE the different ingredients (including the cranberries).

i haven't decided if i like it, but i can taste them.

now to wait for "time in a bottle".

:)

Dads... Keep us posted I LOVE cranberries ... And blueberries actually! Never heard of a cranberry beer so I'm super curious and I have had a few blueberry ales that were not so good! Hope yours conditions very well and you have good stories coming up!

huntingohio said:
That is entirely possible, I have done something similar.
Youll need 2 pots to do a quasi sparging biab sparging. I put 3.5 quarts in one pot and did the normal steeping, then mash out. I pulled the bag and put it in a colander above the pot to drain while I heated the other pot too steeping temp. I dropped the bag into the other pot and gave it a good stirring to try and get all the sugars out. i gave it a few minutes to rest and removed the bag, combined the pots and hit my preboil exactly. Once i boiled off I had 1.5 gallons, fermented it in a LBK from a mr beer kit. worked out dang near perfect. It only raised my efficency by a couple of percent, not really much but enough to warrant 20 extra minutes.

I have been thinking of buying some of the insulation people use to wrap there keggles to wrap my kettle in, has anyone else tryed this?

No but if you find out what the insulation is let me know. I went to depot the other day and I found water heater blankets but the thought of fiberglass near my beer .....nahhh so I have seen some folks wrap with something but I'm not sure what it is. I would love to wrap something around the 5 gallon kettle to hold temps. Right now I'm using a flannel sheet with about 4 towels and lose about 4 degrees... Not bad but I'd like to be able to keep it closer. Wife does NOT like me bringing wort in the house!! Lol

Just wrapped up my brewday a little bit ago. If ya'll don't mind, I'd like to post a (hopefully brief) after-action report and see if you folks have some input on some of the things I experienced.

First and foremost - temperature control was a freakin' nightmare. This may have been due to faulty thermometers, but I'm not entirely sure. I got my strike water to the appropriate temp (161F) and doughed in. My mash temp was supposed to be 156F, but it dropped way low so I added a bit of the half gallon of water I had reserved to sparge with later in an attempt to raise it. It took me a bit, but I got it to stabilize at 158F. I set it in a 170F oven, and within a few minutes the temp was 163F. Took it out of the oven, added some more of the set-aside sparge water (now quite a bit cooler) and set it on my counter, wrapped in an old winter coat. It held pretty well for the first half of the mash-in, but by the time 60 mins was up my temp had dropped to 147F. :(

I brought it back to the stove and tried to bring it to 165F to mashout, but the temp on the probe's readout just would. not. budge. Moved it to another spot in the kettle and it jumped to 178. :eek: Pulled my grains, drained & squeezed 'em, and brought it to a boil.

The boil went perfectly - no boil over, all my additions were fine. The wort tasted pretty good - could definetly taste the tea I used, as well as an almost coffee-ish caramelized flavor. Some bitterness that may have been tannins as well, but nothing I'd call offensive flavorwise.

Cooling took a while. About 45 minutes into an ice bath in the sink the probe was still reading about 98F and wouldn't budge, so I tried another thermometer that I don't trust as much, but wanted to see what it said. According to that one, my wort was 77F. What the hell.

Busted out the floating analog thermometer I bought at the lhbs, and it gave me a temp of 72F. Deciding that one was probably the most accurate, I cooled it down to 63F and took a hydrometer reading. 1.036. Yikes. OG for the recipe I used is 1.053. Decided there wasn't much to be done about it, racked to my carboy, pitched the yeast, shook it all up and set it in a water bath with a blowoff tube to ferment.

I also ended up with probably about a half-gallon of wort in the kettle after filling my carboy. It pained me to dump it, but I had nowhere else to put it. I feel like that much excess wort is indicative of a failure somewhere along the line, but I have no idea.

And that's where I am now. Overall, I had a good time, and I know I'll have beer at the end so I'm not really sweating it, but what the hell? Is everyone's first brewday this far off the mark?

My first small batch had wicked temp swings in my mash, you just have to get used to the system. It will still make good beer, just try to fix what didn't go right the next time and you will always improve.

I just wish I could pin it down to equipment or something I did wrong. The one thermometer (brand new, I might add) was registering fine the other day when I did a test boil in my kettle to see how quick it would come up to temp. But tonight, it was a total p.o.s. Aargh.

I suppose the only thing left to do is figure out what to brew next and soldier on. :rockin:

I used to have major issues with temperature swings as well...the oven system is nice but I found that on my induction stove I could heat up the strike water to 10 degrees warmer than I want, then put it on another burner (off). I would stir for a minute to make sure it settled at the temp then add the grains. Stir like crazy and let it set for 15 minutes without a lid. I would start to see a 1 degree drop at this point so I would simply put the pot back on the burner I heated up the strike with and the residual heat would hold the temp. In fact the temp would rise 1-2 degrees so I would simply stir and not use the lid to hold the temp. Its become pretty hands off and I never get more than 1 degree away from my target temp.

I've also had some challenges with smaller batch temps. I think the thermal mass of my keggle and mass of the water helped me maintain temps before. Now, it cools faster and my pot is thin. I tried the oven thing and it worked after a few attempts but wife kicked me out of house again...lol I'm trying to insulate my brew pot with something but haven't found out yet what that would be.

Good to hear I'm not the only one that had temperature problems to begin with.

I'd be interested to hear what brand/type thermometers y'all are using - I'm going to be doing some testing before my next brewday to figure out what (if anything) is wrong with my two digital probe-type thermometers, and if there is an issue with either one I'll be in the market for a new one.

Anyone got any advice for me on why I had so much wort leftover in the kettle after filling my carboy? I can see a little bit being left over, but like I said, this was easily 1/4-1/2 gallon. :(

Oh! Forgot to add - went down and had a look at the fermenter about an hour ago, and it's slow, but we're on our way to beertown here at Casa de Battlegoat. It's an awesome feeling watching that wort swirl around. I can't wait to try it!

I'd be interested to hear what brand/type thermometers y'all are using - I'm going to be doing some testing before my next brewday to figure out what (if anything) is wrong with my two digital probe-type thermometers, and if there is an issue with either one I'll be in the market for a new one.

Anyone got any advice for me on why I had so much wort leftover in the kettle after filling my carboy? I can see a little bit being left over, but like I said, this was easily 1/4-1/2 gallon. :(

Oh! Forgot to add - went down and had a look at the fermenter about an hour ago, and it's slow, but we're on our way to beertown here at Casa de Battlegoat. It's an awesome feeling watching that wort swirl around. I can't wait to try it!

I not as expert but I take a crack at it. How much water did you start with?

2 Gallons? Don't forget your adding the volume of the sugar and the hops and your boil off may be less than your test run.

As you said before...I wouldn't worry about it, I'm relearning how to brew but on smaller scale too. You'll get it figured...just brew more.

I've also had some challenges with smaller batch temps. I think the thermal mass of my keggle and mass of the water helped me maintain temps before. Now, it cools faster and my pot is thin. I tried the oven thing and it worked after a few attempts but wife kicked me out of house again...lol I'm trying to insulate my brew pot with something but haven't found out yet what that would be.

divrguy:

This might be what your looking for...

http://http://www.lowes.com/pd_409818-56291-ST16100_0__?productId=3775469&Ntt=reflective+insulation&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dreflective%2Binsulation&facetInfo=

1) but it dropped way low so I added a bit of the half gallon of water I had reserved to sparge with later in an attempt to raise it ...

2) added some more of the set-aside sparge water (now quite a bit cooler)

3) I cooled it down to 63F and took a hydrometer reading. 1.036. Yikes. OG for the recipe I used is 1.053.

4) I also ended up with probably about a half-gallon of wort in the kettle after filling my carboy.

I'm guessing that the 4 pieces of pertinent information that I numbered above are all related to why your OG was low and why you had wort left in your kettle.

Adding water to your mash (I know it was necessary because of your temp issues), thins it out and lessens the diastatic power of your base malts and makes it difficult for the enzyme activity that converts the carbs to sugar to function correctly(assuming this was an all grain attempt).

Plus the more wort you have the more you'll have to boil off to hit your post boil amount. I think that this is the reason you were low on you OG. If you know how much is in your kettle, and you know your pot's boil off rate, you can make a boil time longer and just hold off on the hop additions.

But, I'm glad you didn't sweat it. Most first brewdays don't go according to plan. I'm sure your beer will taste great nevertheless, you'll just have an nice easy drinking session beer. :)

@BigRock: I started with 2.5 gallons.

@jwalk4: That's the thing - the water I added was water that was originally supposed to be part of my mash anyway, but wouldn't fit in the pot with the grains. Basically, I added all my strike water (2.5 gallons) to the pot, saw that there was no way that I'd be able to add the grains without it overflowing, so I removed 1/2 gallon of it and set it aside to be used as sparge water after the initial mash had finished. Only instead of sparging with it, I ended up adding it to the mash as described. So there wasn't actually any "extra" water.

The only other thing I can think of that might have affected my efficiency is that there may have been some unmixed doughballs - I definetly had to break up a bunch upon doughing in, but I thought I got all of em. Ah well.

There is a host of reasons why I do two hour boils...but this is one of them. After the first hour I take a measurement and can see what my boil off is like (it differs from the winter to summer) and plan accordingly. I have at most a couple oz of wort left after I fill the carboy.

As for the thermometer, I use the 12 inch lab thermo. It is also how I measure volume during the boil...works like a charm

@jwalk4: Here ya go:

1-Gallon Mint Chocolate Stout
Sweet Stout
Type: All Grain
Date: 11/16/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 2.32 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
End of Boil Volume 1.57 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 0.78 gal
Est Mash Efficiency 98.2 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Taste Rating(out of 50):

Ingredients

1 lbs 11.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 73.8 %
3.4 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 9.2 %
2.1 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) 5.7 %
2.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 5.7 %
2.1 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) 5.7 %
10 g Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min 22.5 IBUs
2 tea bags (subbed 7 g herbal tea) - Boil 5.0 mins
23 g cocoa powder - Boil 5.0 mins

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 22.5 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 33.4 SRM
Mash Profile
Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 2 lbs 5.3 oz
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Add 9.96 qt of water at 160.7 F
156.0 F - 60 min
Mash Out
Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min
168.0 F - 10 min

You guys try the bourbon dubbel?[/QUOTE]

I have! I brewed it three weeks ago. Been in the primary, and tomorrow I'm racking to secondary onto the oak chips an bourbon. All my samples have tasted great. Green, but great.

I used two ingredient bags to make a two gallon batch. Can't wait!!!

BigRock947 said:
I'm at work right now but I was checking in time to time. I had the sound turned down so no worries for me. Pretty cool watching someone brew in 'real time'

Wish my timing would have worked to check it out but work got in my way!! Lol

Sorry Battlegoat for taking a while to respond, I had class to go to. But I put this recipe into my software (Brewmate) and I had a few questions....

@jwalk4: Here ya go:

1-Gallon Mint Chocolate Stout
Sweet Stout
Type: All Grain
Date: 11/16/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 2.32 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
End of Boil Volume 1.57 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 % *see question 2
Final Bottling Volume: 0.78 gal
Est Mash Efficiency 98.2 % *see question 1
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Taste Rating(out of 50):

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 22.5 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 33.4 SRM

1) Was your recipe based off an estimated 98% mash efficiency? If so, you'll never get 98% mash efficiency. Even professional breweries don't get 98% mash efficiency.

2) But, I'm confused because you have a 65% brewhouse efficiency, which is more realistic. But, what I find odd is how the numbers match up... hopefully I can illustrate my findings below:

At 98% mash efficiency, with the recipe you posted, you get:

1.052 post boil OG
1.013 FG
Which is what you were expecting....

At 65% mash efficiency, with the recipe you posted, you get:

1.034 post boil OG
1.009 post boil FG
Which is what you got...

Can I ask where you got your recipe? I do like the ingredients, but it sounds like if you wanted a OG of 1.053 and a FG of 1.013 at 65% brewhouse efficiency (a reasonable efficiency to expect) with a 1.6 Gallon post boil size then your fermentables recipe should have looked like this:

2.642 lb of 2-row
.324 lb of Flaked Barley
.2 lb of Carafa III
.2 lb of Chocolate Malt
.2 lb of Crystal 40L

Also, the BIAB calculator I use, a no-sparge BIAB calculator says you should mash in 3.05 Gallons..... But this is a no sparge calculator, I just thought it would be helpful input.

@jwalk4: I got the recipe from here. I first posted about it on page 64 of this thread (post # 635) and from there, cheesecake helped me check and convert the recipe. I also downloaded and ran it though Beersmith, which I fully admit I may have done wrong. Ultimately, the recipe I posted a few posts ago is the one I used - I don't recall whether it was one I came up with on my own via Beersmith or if it's the one cheesecake worked out for me, but it's what I brewed. :eek:

Oh - When I weighed out all my grain, I did it all in grams, hoping it'd be more accurate. I doubt that had anything to do with it, but I suppose it's worth mentioning just in case.

You ended up with too much extra because I might have forgot to tell you I boil off quite a bit. And my efficiency has been low recently also. That's why its at the 65%

Aha! I knew it was all your fault. :p

Out of curiosity, how long would you have boiled this one?

That's my boiloff rate that's on there for 60 minutes. My air is extremely dry when it gets cooler out so it sucks it out of the pot. I would drop that amount by a quarter to a half gallon. Depending on how much you boiloff. I'll send you some of my large batch of stout(founders clone) to make up for my beersmith error and not telling you.

Aww man, you don't have to do that. I'm not sweating it. Though if you absolutely must, I'd be happy to PM ya my address. :D:ban:

So just to make sure I'm actually understanding ya (I can be a bit dense at times) if I were to run this recipe again, I'd just go with 2 to 2.25 gallons of water, rather than the 2.5? If that's all that needs to be done (besides refining/becoming comfortable with the process) that would be great.

Back