1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so is there any way to specifically order a 1gal or 1.25 gallon kit from them? or do you HAVE to go with a 5 gallon and just divide everything up into 4 or 5 batches from the single kit?

This kit has me drooling!!!!!!! ---v

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ro-series-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

Here is their 1 gallon section with the 1 gallon kits they offer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/one-gallon-small-batch-starter-kit

I'm having a tough time deciding what to brew next....what to do? What to do?

Thought of brewing a stout, then I thought I could add coconut to it. Now my head is spinning with possibilities.

Try my Kona Chocolate MacNut Coffee Stout under my recipes.

IMAG0700.jpg

Black ipa in the fermenter. That's the only picture I got while brewing. During brewing I bottled a IIPA and then bottled what was left in a keg of my pumpkin ale ended up with 20 bottles of that.

Start to finish it took 2 hours today brewing. Everything was labeled well and the instructions were very well written.

First ever black ipa that I have brewed. I need to transfer my 5 gallons of pale ale over to a carbohydrates and dry hop and then I have 15 more gallons of beer to bottle so then I can put all the large brew stuff in the garage

anyone in for a graff? it is cider season after all
I wish i knew how to copy and post recipies from beer smith. Id sit and do a dozen or so for yall to use

Sorry I misses youvasking me that earlier. On the recipe screen where it lists all your recipes highlight one but don't open the recipe near the bottom it will show a preview. Highlight all the text and right click to copy. I paste it to word remove all the mumbo jumbo that's not needed and then I copy that and.paste into the forums

Try my Kona Chocolate MacNut Coffee Stout under my recipes.

C-Rider: It looks like a great recipe. A couple of questions: 1. What temperature did you mash? 2. How did you cold steep the coffee for bottling?

I'll have to try find a decent substitute for the Kona coffee. We can get Kona coffee here in Iowa but I'm not sure its as good as what you can get.

Thanks

MTate37, you really put a whole pack of liquid yeast for 1 gal? Tell me how that turns out.

MrMalty tells me to use 0.5 packs with fresh yeast but that seems way too much! So I used roughly 1/4 pack of California ale in my American amber. It's been in primary for 3 days now and seems to be going great! Just hope i didn't contaminate the rest of the pack I've got in the fridge....

How would you go about seperating your liquid yeast? I used a homemade graduated beaker (lil milk bottle...) made sure I had my gf hold the bbq lighter around both ends while emptying about 8-9 ml into my beaker and then into my wort.

huntingohio said:
anyone in for a graff? it is cider season after all
I wish i knew how to copy and post recipies from beer smith. Id sit and do a dozen or so for yall to use

I love Graffs but can see some problems on this small of a scale. I liked them so much because while I was doing 5 gal batches, I could make 5 gal of wort and end up with 10 gal of Graff. I could see some issues with boiling only half a gallon of wort, but if it works out ok let me know. I'm almost out of Graff. Check out the gunslingers Graff recipe on here if you haven't yet. Its amazing

MTate37, you really put a whole pack of liquid yeast for 1 gal? Tell me how that turns out.

MrMalty tells me to use 0.5 packs with fresh yeast but that seems way too much! So I used roughly 1/4 pack of California ale in my American amber. It's been in primary for 3 days now and seems to be going great! Just hope i didn't contaminate the rest of the pack I've got in the fridge....

How would you go about seperating your liquid yeast? I used a homemade graduated beaker (lil milk bottle...) made sure I had my gf hold the bbq lighter around both ends while emptying about 8-9 ml into my beaker and then into my wort.

Here's link to some ideas about splitting liquid yeast. Currently, I've been using dry yeast but when I need to use a liquid yeast I may get a White Labs. I think it would be easier to split the White Labs since its already in reusable container. IMHO

http://https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/splitting-yeast-354099/

Bootlegger_Brewery said:

If yeast is older I can see the need for a whole pack or yeast.

Bootlegger_Brewery said:

I'll bottle next weekend so I'll let you know how the sample tastes. So many people have said that proper pitching rates are one of the best things a noob can do to improve their beer, and Mr. Malty seems to be a pretty well respected resource so I went with it. It actually said to pitch more, but I only had one vial.

Eight vials, or an almost four liter starter is recommended for a five gallon batch with the same OG and yeast with the same born on date so I'm thinking I'll be fine with one vial to a gallon. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

I hadn't actually gotten around to figuring out how I would split the yeast and store it, and when Mr. Malty said to pitch the whole thing I didn't bother thinking about it.

Redheaded Lover
Irish Red Ale
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 5.5 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.2 %
7.3 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 22.8 %
1.9 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
1.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
0.26 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 5 16.5 IBUs
0.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.10 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 15.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.2 pkg German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 16.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 16.7 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Steps
Mash In Add 2.50 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 1.60 qt of water at 203.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 7/24/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal Brewer: Pete Garza
Boil Size: 2.32 gal Asst Brewer: Jacob Garza
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
End of Boil Volume 1.57 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 0.78 gal Est Mash Efficiency 105.7 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes: See Notes for directions.
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 13.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.3 %
7.2 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 17.6 %
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.1 %
0.22 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.9 IBUs
0.11 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 6.1 IBUs
0.05 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.0 IBUs
0.05 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 0.8 IBUs
0.2 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 24.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 8.1 SRM

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 3.35 qt of water at 167.8 F 156.0 F 60 min

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 0.61 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 0.61 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Directions Mash all grains for 60 minutes at 152 degrees. Drain the runnings into the boil kettle, recirculating the first quart or so back into the mash. Sparge with 175F degree water and boil for 60 minutes adding hops at the schedule above. Chill to 70 to 75 degrees before pitching yeast.

Speaking of Yeast and pitch I get about 3 1 gal batches out of a packet of dried yeast. I get crazy fermentation and have yet to have an infection doing 20+ batches. All i do is fold the yeast package and put it in a ziplock and store in the fridge. Since yeast has billions of cells that work their magic I'm assuming even 1/3 of a pack will get the job done as my Beer tastes great.

Speaking of Yeast and pitch I get about 3 1 gal batches out of a packet of dried yeast. I get crazy fermentation and have yet to have an infection doing 20+ batches. All i do is fold the yeast package and put it in a ziplock and store in the fridge. Since yeast has billions of cells that work their magic I'm assuming even 1/3 of a pack will get the job done as my Beer tastes great.

+1 I measure out 3 to 4 grams and put in a sandwich bag inside the butter door.

Crap...let me clarify. After I measure out the amount I need, I fold the foil package then place in a plastic sandwich bag. Squeeze as much of the air out and then put it in the refrigerator butter drawer.

Doesn't pay to make a quick response while at work...

I think I have a brewing problem. Brewed up a Australian galaxy SMaSH today. I think I need to slow down.

IMAG0702.jpg

C-Rider: It looks like a great recipe. A couple of questions: 1. What temperature did you mash? 2. How did you cold steep the coffee for bottling?

I'll have to try find a decent substitute for the Kona coffee. We can get Kona coffee here in Iowa but I'm not sure its as good as what you can get.

Thanks

Ok, I have down mash at 152, but didn't keep that. Most of the 60 min it was at 150.

To cold steep I have this little kit. a plastic container w/a filter and a cork plug in the bottom. The coffee goes in I think 3 oz then water, let it sit 5 min then another 3 oz grounds then more water. Cover and let it sit over night. Then in the morning place it over a glass container and pull the cork. It slowly drains into the glass jar. I can get more technical in the morning when the wife is awake and can find the directions. Try Google it.

The Kona was only 10% Kona so maybe you can find it. I did some once w/another Big Island Coffee and it was good, just different. You can use any coffee that you really like to drink. I could probably get you a 10 oz bag in the mail if need be.

MO/Simcoe smash
All Grain
American Pale Ale
OG 1.057
FG 1.015
IBU 41.8

Mash 154 for 60 minutes 75% efficiency with BIAB

2lbs Marris Otter
3 g Simcoe 13% aa 45 minutes
3g Simcoe 10 minutes
3g Simcoe 5 minutes

3g S 05

Fermented at 65 for two weeks

One of the best beers I have made.

I think I have a brewing problem. Brewed up a Australian galaxy SMaSH today. I think I need to slow down.

IMAG0702.jpg

NEVER! Is there really a brewing too much problem? I find if I don't brew at least once a week I think I'm not brewing enough. Of course, the 1 gallon brews helps keep the time and space issues in check:mug:

Ok, I have down mash at 152, but didn't keep that. Most of the 60 min it was at 150.

To cold steep I have this little kit. a plastic container w/a filter and a cork plug in the bottom. The coffee goes in I think 3 oz then water, let it sit 5 min then another 3 oz grounds then more water. Cover and let it sit over night. Then in the morning place it over a glass container and pull the cork. It slowly drains into the glass jar. I can get more technical in the morning when the wife is awake and can find the directions. Try Google it.

The Kona was only 10% Kona so maybe you can find it. I did some once w/another Big Island Coffee and it was good, just different. You can use any coffee that you really like to drink. I could probably get you a 10 oz bag in the mail if need be.

Thanks for the information about mashing. I was thinking of mashing at 154 since a sweeter stout might compliment the chocolate. I'll try the 150-152 range and see how it turns out.

The cold steeping seems easy enough, I was concerned about not boiling the water/coffee before bottling. Have you had any issues with infection with cold steeping? Edit: Doing some more research I'm not concerned about infection now. Cold steeping coffee has interested in trying it out as my drinking coffee.

Oh thanks for the offer to mail some coffee. The only reason I mentioned it is because my in-laws have been to Hawaii several times and they always bring Kona coffee home for the wife and I. Might be a mental thing but it seems the coffee they bring us taste better than what I can find in our stores. I'll try one of our coffee gourmet shops here in town, they do a pretty good job.

I'm going to try this recipe this weekend and I hope it will be ready for ice fishing season. I think it will taste awesome when I'm sitting on my bucket out on the lake!:mug:

Yeah I always try too but I was busy bottling up other beer and trying to get all the fermenters clean....I really dislike cleaning a 15 gallon fermenter in my bath tub

Hey all - relatively new to the forum, and I think I'm finally ready to stop lurking and start brewing. I'll be doing 1-gallon batches for the forseeable future, so it's been awesome to read through this thread and see all the killer brews being produced.

I wonder if you fine folks would mind looking over a recipe I just converted, and let me know if everything looks on the up-and-up or if I need to go back to the drawing board. For reference, the original recipe is here.

I used the Homebrew Calculator at Brewer's Friend and came up with the following:

Miniature Mint-Chocolate Stout

Recipe Type: All-grain
Yeast: WLP004
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.23%
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 34.11 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @ 68F.
Add’l Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation: Bottle conditioned

Grain Bill

1.6 lbs American Pale 2-Row
3.2 oz. Flaked Barley
1.6 oz. Carafa III
1.6 oz. Crystal 40
1.6 oz. Chocolate Malt
1.6 oz. Rice Hulls

Mash @ 156F for 60 mins.

9.8 g. East Kent Goldings (4.5% AA) @60 mins.
22.4 g. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder @5 mins.
2 Peppermint Tea Bags @5 mins.

The only question I have (and I recognize it's potentially a stupid one) if I'm looking for about 1.5 gallons post-mash, what should the volume of strike water be? The original recipe called for a batch sparge, but it seems silly to bother with such a small batch, especially since I plan to oven mash (haven't gotten around to building a cooler mash tun yet!)

Thanks a lot - looking forward to seeing what y'all have to say. :rockin:

Hey all - relatively new to the forum, and I think I'm finally ready to stop lurking and start brewing. I'll be doing 1-gallon batches for the forseeable future, so it's been awesome to read through this thread and see all the killer brews being produced.

I wonder if you fine folks would mind looking over a recipe I just converted, and let me know if everything looks on the up-and-up or if I need to go back to the drawing board. For reference, the original recipe is here.

I used the Homebrew Calculator at Brewer's Friend and came up with the following:

Miniature Mint-Chocolate Stout

Recipe Type: All-grain
Yeast: WLP004
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.23%
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 34.11 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @ 68F.
Add’l Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation: Bottle conditioned

Grain Bill

1.6 lbs American Pale 2-Row
3.2 oz. Flaked Barley
1.6 oz. Carafa III
1.6 oz. Crystal 40
1.6 oz. Chocolate Malt
1.6 oz. Rice Hulls

Mash @ 156F for 60 mins.

9.8 g. East Kent Goldings (4.5% AA) @60 mins.
22.4 g. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder @5 mins.
2 Peppermint Tea Bags @5 mins.

The only question I have (and I recognize it's potentially a stupid one) if I'm looking for about 1.5 gallons post-mash, what should the volume of strike water be? The original recipe called for a batch sparge, but it seems silly to bother with such a small batch, especially since I plan to oven mash (haven't gotten around to building a cooler mash tun yet!)

Thanks a lot - looking forward to seeing what y'all have to say. :rockin:

Are you planning to Brew In A Bag this recipe? Also, curious why you're going with Peppermint Tea bags and not the extract at bottling?

@BigRock: Yeah, I suppose BIAB would be the best way to go about it without a mash tun. And I chose to go with the tea bags rather than the extract because a few pages into the thread with the original recipe, the OP swapped the extract for tea bags and liked the end result much better than the extract version. I also happen to have a HUGE amount of fresh dried mint that a buddy gave to me from his garden recently.

@BigRock: Yeah, I suppose BIAB would be the best way to go about it without a mash tun. And I chose to go with the tea bags rather than the extract because a few pages into the thread with the original recipe, the OP swapped the extract for tea bags and liked the end result much better than the extract version. I also happen to have a HUGE amount of fresh dried mint that a buddy gave to me from his garden recently.

Okay. I skimmed through the rest of the thread and I saw the change to tea bags and lower amount of cocoa powder.

I'm not a huge expert at recipe building but it looks like the amounts are right on. Cheesecake will confirm that.

If your doing a BIAB you leave out the rice hulls, they are to prevent a stuck sparge. With BIAB, that's not a worry. You may want to experiment with Peppermint tea bags vs the dried fresh mint and see which mint flavor you like better. I personally like fresher stuff better but the flavor might be lighter.

I'd add more but I'm getting distracted here at work:D

Back