1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my Hop Gravy barleywine in primary, cold-crashed and ready to rack.

hopgravy.jpg

I've never seen that much trub in my life...crazy. Good luck

How do you guys bottle your 1 gallon batches? I do not have a 1 gallon bucket with a spout so my options are to either insert my bottling wand into the tubing off the siphon and siphon from fermentwr directly into bottles or siphon into my 6.5 gallon bottling bucket and bottle as I would normally for a 5 gallon batch.

Also, when preparing priming sugar, is it safe/ok to boil in a cup or two of water since the quantity of sugar will be so small for a 1 gallon batch (~1 oz give or take)?

I got a two gallon bottling bucket. I was boiling at most a cup putting in the bucket then siphoning the beer in a whirlpool. Always consistently carbed

I have had a 6.5 g bottling bucket and was happy with how much easier it made the bottling (my least favorite part). I found 2 g white buckets in the hardware department of Walmart for $3 or so. a buddy of mine drilled the holes so we can use the spigot from 5 g bucket. It works great. Now I can prime with sugar (not tabs) and stir in additions such as yeast for well aged batches. Highly recommended.

Of course, the Basic Brewing podcasts over toxicity rid me of my fear of leeching chemicals etc.

I just noticed that Stone Brewing is discontinuing their Pale Ale, and they have (due to popular demand!) released a homebrewing recipe for it...

Stone Pale Ale Recipe

So, I took a stab at a 1-Gallon conversion:

Stone Pale Ale - 1-Gallon

2 lb. 2 oz. North American 2-Row Pale Malt
4 oz. Crystal 60 Malt
1 oz. Crystal 80 Malt

Mash @ 156°F for 60 minutes
Mash out @ 165°F for 10 minutes

90 Minute Boil

2.5 g Columbus Hops (12.9% AA) @ 90 minutes
4.4 g Ahtanum Hops (6.0% AA) @ 10 minutes
6.7 g Ahtanum Hops (6.0% AA) @ 0 minutes

Yeast: 1/3-1/2 pack Nottingham

Ferment @ 72°F

Starting Gravity 1.057 (14 Plato)
Final Gravity 1.014 (3.5 Plato)
Alcohol: 5.6% ABV
Bitterness: 50 IBU

A few notes:

They specified a 20 minute mash! Not sure I'd trust that!

They specified Crystal 75... I've never seen Crystal 75, so I subbed Crystal 80.

Their official description of their Pale Ale says Magnum and Ahtanum hops (probably not much difference with a 90 minute boil!)

They specified WLP007 or WLP002 English Ale Yeast. Sounds like a job for Notty, to me!

Enjoy!

Edit: By the way... Stone IS planning on releasing a new Pale Ale 2.0!

Black and Tan ready to condition, lol.

That's quite extraordinary!

I racked it into a half-gallon growler. My cap and airlock from the gallon jug happened to fit, so it worked out.

It's not much of a beer. Certainly not much of a barleywine. We'll see if I get a six-pack of porter out of it by the end.

So I just threw together my first all grain recipe and it's a 1 gallon batch so can you guys tell me what you think since I have no idea what I'm doing? First off I've never had perle hops so that's the hop I'm going with.

2 lbs standard 2 row
10oz Munich type 1
(possible little bit of extra light DME) have some laying around.

.50oz perle @ 60 minutes left in the boil
.25oz perle @ 5 minutes left in the boil
.25oz dry hopped for approximately 7 days.

Yeast will be US-05 more than likely

Does this sound anywhere near a real recipe? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

So... What are you going for? IIPA? That's gonna be very hoppy! (108+ IBU)

Do you REALLY love Pearle? I've used it in a blonde ale, and it's very nice... I've never used it in an IPA, though!

Just ordered three 1-gallon jugs, stoppers and airlocks. I'm still doing 5-gallon batches once a month, however, in the three weeks between each 5-gallon batch I plan on doing a 1-gallon batch each week. I know it isn't as cost effective as just doing two 5-gallon batches each month (it will end up being about the same cost but a bit less beer)... however it will allow me to double the number of batches I'm doing which will give me just that much more experience in the same amount of time. Hopefully I can swing close to a batch a week now through summer and then I may go back to just the 5-gallon batches and use the 1-gallon fermenters as a way to experiment with my 5-gallon batches. I'm looking forward to it.

So... What are you going for? IIPA? That's gonna be very hoppy! (108+ IBU)

Do you REALLY love Pearle? I've used it in a blonde ale, and it's very nice... I've never used it in an IPA, though!

I do love IPAs. I don't know if I like perle hops or not. Never had them that I know of. Is my hop schedule too aggressive? Leave off the dry hop? Do I have a big enough grain bill to reach IIPA status? Thanks guys!

I racked it into a half-gallon growler. My cap and airlock from the gallon jug happened to fit, so it worked out.

It's not much of a beer. Certainly not much of a barleywine. We'll see if I get a six-pack of porter out of it by the end.

My latest sample of this came out very hops-forward and somewhat boozy, with kind of a gap in the middle. I guess that was to be expected from my use of amylaze; oh well, I won't be dumping it out anyways.

My latest sample of this came out very hops-forward and somewhat boozy, with kind of a gap in the middle. I guess that was to be expected from my use of amylaze; oh well, I won't be dumping it out anyways.

The boozy part should be less with aging however do not expect it to completely go away.

I do love IPAs. I don't know if I like perle hops or not. Never had them that I know of. Is my hop schedule too aggressive? Leave off the dry hop? Do I have a big enough grain bill to reach IIPA status? Thanks guys!

I plugged your recipe into a couple of on-line calculators... You are at the very bottom end of the IIPA range... Around 1.066 OG, would probably come out at 6-7% ABV (depending on efficiency).

That hop schedule is pretty aggressive. In the 80-100 IBU range. Pearle isn't a hop I'd think of right off-hand for an IPA... Like I said, I have used it in a blonde ale and it was very good, but that was nowhere near the levels seen here! But, who knows, it might be good! I'd probably weight it more towards mid-to-late-boil additions to get more flavor. That's a lot of dry hops for a gallon.

Hi, im new to this forum - and am quite surprised so many others making small batches :)

Im not sure if this has been discussed- but does anyone here 'no chill' their 1 gallon brews?

Taking it to the extreme - does anyone ferment in their kettle/pot?

Ive been making 1 gallon brews for the past few years now, and have 'no chilled' and fermented my last 4 brews in my kettle - and each one of them has turned out fine!

Its a great time & labour saver. After my boil has finished, I remove the hop-sock, put the lid on my pot,, and leave it on the stove top until the next day.

Then I just pitch my dry yeast straight in the pot, stick the lid down with a few small pieces of tape, then put it in my fermentation chamber for 2 weeks.

I seems to me that a 1 gallon brew is a great way to experiment - has anyone else tried this?

Just bottled an ipa I had dry hopped with citra, pellets straight into the secondary for a few days with no bag.

Damn that was a mess but holy **** am I happy with how it turned out!!! :D

I am curious to know if any one who brews 1-2.5 gallon batches uses a burner or stove top?

Only ever done 1 gallon batches on stove top, and a ****ty electric apartment stove to boot, our place is tiny. But once you get it figured on how to keep the mash temp steady it works out fine. Buddy has a nice gas stove.... damn I love brewing on that one!

Have a 30qt turkey fryer and burner for 5 gallon batches. Only used it once so far at my brothers place where we have the space.

Just bottled an ipa I had dry hopped with citra, pellets straight into the secondary for a few days with no bag.

Damn that was a mess but holy **** am I happy with how it turned out!!! :D

Only ever done 1 gallon batches on stove top, and a ****ty electric apartment stove to boot, our place is tiny. But once you get it figured on how to keep the mash temp steady it works out fine. Buddy has a nice gas stove.... damn I love brewing on that one!

Have a 30qt turkey fryer and burner for 5 gallon batches. Only used it once so far at my brothers place where we have the space.

Lemme guess...zombie dust?

No, but I can. I used the recipe from this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-elder-clone-296940/

And used BeerSmith to scale it to one gallon. Let me know if you want the scaled recipe.

Absolutely. If it's not to much trouble. I don't have beersmith and kinda new so it would be nice just to use one already converted over. Having to make the clone will probably be the only way I'll ever get to try Pliny....[emoji53]

Absolutely. If it's not to much trouble. I don't have beersmith and kinda new so it would be nice just to use one already converted over. Having to make the clone will probably be the only way I'll ever get to try Pliny....[emoji53]

DISCLAIMER-This was my first attempt and scaling a recipe and I don't know how to print from BeerSmith...

2.70 gal Distilled Water 1
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2
2.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3

3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4
2.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5
1.6 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6

0.7 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - First Wort Hop 60.0 min 7 - 159.2 IBUs
2.4 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8

0.15 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 9 - 28.5 IBUs

0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 29.5 IBUs

0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

0.2 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [0.21 Cup water, 3g yeast] Yeast 13

0.20 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

0.05 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.05 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.05 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

Mash at 151F for 60 minutes

I'm wondering if recipes should just include ppm of key minerals. In your case you totally did it the correct way since you're building up from distilled.

I plugged your recipe into a couple of on-line calculators... You are at the very bottom end of the IIPA range... Around 1.066 OG, would probably come out at 6-7% ABV (depending on efficiency).

That hop schedule is pretty aggressive. In the 80-100 IBU range. Pearle isn't a hop I'd think of right off-hand for an IPA... Like I said, I have used it in a blonde ale and it was very good, but that was nowhere near the levels seen here! But, who knows, it might be good! I'd probably weight it more towards mid-to-late-boil additions to get more flavor. That's a lot of dry hops for a gallon.

Did I mention that I put a whole ounce of citra in to a gallon jug with some IIPA that ended up being 3 12oz bottles?... It was intense but great! Yes that's right! 1oz of citra for 3 bottles of beer.

But anyway should I use

.25 oz at 60
.25 oz at 15
.25 oz at 5
.25 oz at flame out?
Instead of my original schedule?

I have a pound of light dme and some Ahtanum pellet hops laying around. Thinking about making a quick and easy blonde or cream ale out of it. I'm in the process of filling out an order to morebeer and need a couple bucks to get the free shipping. What would be speciality steeping grain to use with something like this. Also should I use those hops I have or spend a few bucks and get something else. Thanks!!!

Did I mention that I put a whole ounce of citra in to a gallon jug with some IIPA that ended up being 3 12oz bottles?... It was intense but great! Yes that's right! 1oz of citra for 3 bottles of beer.

But anyway should I use

.25 oz at 60
.25 oz at 15
.25 oz at 5
.25 oz at flame out?
Instead of my original schedule?

Yeah, that sounds much better. I did a similar clone with similar amounts of citra and time. Turned out great!

Ok done! I'll brew it th is weekend! With this schedule except the last .25 oz will be dry hopped. I'm excited to do my first all grain recipe.

Oh and I got some good news. My wife got me a $200 gift card to northern brewer so I bought some new 5 gallon batch equipment but I also got 8 ounces of galaxy hops to play with! They are pretty hard to get a hold of and I'm going to use them to try and nail down a clone brew. The beer I'm gonna try to clone is FLAT 12's WALKABOUT PALE ALE

I have a pound of light dme and some Ahtanum pellet hops laying around. Thinking about making a quick and easy blonde or cream ale out of it. I'm in the process of filling out an order to morebeer and need a couple bucks to get the free shipping. What would be speciality steeping grain to use with something like this. Also should I use those hops I have or spend a few bucks and get something else. Thanks!!!

Some crystal 20 or biscuit would make it interesting. Not too much of either. Carapils is also a good thing for a basic blonde.

make a pale ale, throw in one oz of crystal 60 and maybe an oz of carapils.

Some crystal 20 or biscuit would make it interesting. Not too much of either. Carapils is also a good thing for a basic blonde.

I really want a golden ale. Something for the summer time and for my wife to enjoy. Haven't quite got her over to my iPas yet. She does like an occasional stout/porter. I'm thinking about going with either crystal 10 or 15. More on the side of 15 since i might be able to use it in other recipes. Is 1 oz sufficient

Just pledged for a drinktanks juggernaut with kegulator. My one gallon batches will get some force carbing love after it ships in the fall

Wow. I was the second comment on this thread when I was brand new to brewing. I took a break from the forums for a bit and came back to see this post STILL going! Ha that's crazy. I actually JUST did my first 1 gallon batch finally thought I would comment. Amazing this post is still alive.

My brew consisted of:
1 lbs 2 row -mash at 152 60 min
1.5 LME golden light-added before boil
1.5 oz muttons chocolate -added to 2 row during mash
.6tsp Magnum pellet hops-60 min boil
.6tsp Chinook Pellet-30 min
1oz Leaf cascade hops-15 min

BRY-97 Am west coast ale yeast .5 packet
.25tsp irish moss-flame out

OG 1.066
FG 1.010

It came out sweet, still bottle carbing. I just used whatever I had laying around and winged it.

I really want a golden ale. Something for the summer time and for my wife to enjoy. Haven't quite got her over to my iPas yet. She does like an occasional stout/porter. I'm thinking about going with either crystal 10 or 15. More on the side of 15 since i might be able to use it in other recipes. Is 1 oz sufficient

I used 4 oz crystal 20 in a 3 gallon batch. Maybe a little over an oz for a gallon?

Back