1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I bottled both batches earlier today. Two things I think I don't like about small batch brewing is, less bottles to cap and more gear to clean up. The latter is just one of those things. You brew more, you're going to clean more. I can understand that.

But, I have to admit....I was a bit depressed I only got about 9-10 bottles per batch. I'll kept thinking..."That's it?" (sigh).

Looking forward to sampling these beers in a couple of weeks.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have the ingredients to make two batches of it. I'm going to brew as soon as my fermenter is available - I have their grapefruit honey ale in there now.

I've been just doing five liter (1.3 gallons) batches up to now, but I'm going to get several one gallon glass jugs and do a wild or sour batch every two or three months and blend them in the summer on top of wild black raspberries on our farm. Hopefully end up with four or five gallons of gueze, some nine month old lambic, some newer ale.

For those that use 1gallon for testing, how consistent is the taste when you decide to make a larger batch. Also on the same note, any tips for how to create a consistent tasting beer?

I scale all my recipes and brewing to be exactly 1/4 of a 5 gallon batch which I always plan for 6 gallons post boil. This means my planned batch size post boil is 1.5 gallons. Also, I formulate my hops in 7 gram increments, which is 1/4 of an ounce. This makes scaling of everything volume and weight very easy...just multiply by 4! For consistency, take diligent notes of any variations in your process as well as tasting notes from batch to batch of the same beer. But the A number 1 best thing is fermentation control. If you can keep consistent fermenting temperatures from pitching your yeast to right when you bottle you will notice more consistent results. The first 24-72 hours of fermentation have the highest impact on flavor, so temperature control during this period will provide more consistency batch to batch. Cheers!

I was trying to brew a Blue Moon Clone from some ideas floating around here on HomeBrewTalk. I finally decided to up my game and add some pictures.

I hit the mash temperature of 157 degrees...YEAH!

My insulated lid floating on the grains.

More insulation around the pot/mash tun.

I sanitized my measuring cup then added water. I boiled the water in the microwave for 6 minutes. Let it cool to 80 degrees then measured out 4 grams of SA-05 yeast. Cover with sanitized foil.

Overall, it was a good brew day. 3 1/2 hours total and only 2 problems. My final gravity was higher than expected and final volume was low by 1/4 of a gallon. I ended up with 1 gallon than the 1.25 I intended. Oh well...I had a home brew when I was done.

i just found out that a little "hole in the wall" liquor store, less than a mile from the house, as a full Homebrew Supply section in the back.

i also learned that they have a huge craft beer section.

i've lived here for 34 years, and never walked in the store once. i always just thought it was a crummy beer store, and we have lots of those around here.

somehow, i think that having a Homebrew Supply within walking distance could be a problem for the old budget.

:)

i just found out that a little "hole in the wall" liquor store, less than a mile from the house, as a full Homebrew Supply section in the back.

i also learned that they have a huge craft beer section.

i've lived here for 34 years, and never walked in the store once. i always just thought it was a crummy beer store, and we have lots of those around here.

somehow, i think that having a Homebrew Supply within walking distance could be a problem for the old budget.

:)

I see you are in Chicago, mind sharing where this is located exactly? Would love to check it out!

I haven't tried it yet, but I have the ingredients to make two batches of it. I'm going to brew as soon as my fermenter is available - I have their grapefruit honey ale in there now.

Brewed the BBS New Year Beer this morning. Efficiency was only 60% as opposed to the 75% efficiency I had for my last BBS recipe. I mashed about 6-8 degrees lower than last time. Might that be the reason?

Also ended up about a half quart low on the wort, even after using a quart more water that I did for my last BBS recipe. Not sure what happened there.

Strong clementine aroma, but not much clementine flavor in the sample I took. Maybe that will pick up a little after fermentation is complete.

I sure am enjoying these small batches, even if it does take about the same amount of time as a five gallon extract batch.

I was trying to brew a Blue Moon Clone from some ideas floating around here on HomeBrewTalk. I finally decided to up my game and add some pictures.

I hit the mash temperature of 157 degrees...YEAH!

My insulated lid floating on the grains.

More insulation around the pot/mash tun.

I sanitized my measuring cup then added water. I boiled the water in the microwave for 6 minutes. Let it cool to 80 degrees then measured out 4 grams of SA-05 yeast. Cover with sanitized foil.

Overall, it was a good brew day. 3 1/2 hours total and only 2 problems. My final gravity was higher than expected and final volume was low by 1/4 of a gallon. I ended up with 1 gallon than the 1.25 I intended. Oh well...I had a home brew when I was done.

I don't think we 1 gallon brewers post enough pics of our set ups on this thread.

jwalk4 said:
I don't think we 1 gallon brewers post enough pics of our set ups on this thread.

Agreed!

ForumRunner_20121029_213608.jpg

My diy MLT made from a 2 gallon cooler and a stainless braided tube inside for the filter. My "stainless" washers are severely corroded...I don't think they are actually stainless....

Also only get about 50% efficiency no matter what I do. But it's handy none the less!

How much priming sugar do you guys use for a one gallon batch?

Also is caribou slobber close to Buds American Ale?

Mooglebass said:
How much priming sugar do you guys use for a one gallon batch?

Also is caribou slobber close to Buds American Ale?

Mrmalty.com will tell you how many grams to use. mix it with 1/4 - 1/2 cup water

Agreed!

View attachment 81550

My diy MLT made from a 2 gallon cooler and a stainless braided tube inside for the filter. My "stainless" washers are severely corroded...I don't think they are actually stainless....

Also only get about 50% efficiency no matter what I do. But it's handy none the less!

Stupid of me to call for photos and not post any myself...

5 gallon mash tun and corresponding 3 gallon brew pot for 1 gallon, or so, batches. Nice for 3.5lbs of grain and 1.5 gallons of water for mashing.

As soon as I free up some carboy space I'll post some photos of it in action!

Agreed!

View attachment 81550

Can't see how you get such a low efficiency. Try getting a pain strainer bag and using it in your 2 gallon cooler w/o the braided tube. When the mash is done lift the bag, put a collendar ontop of the cooler and put the bag in it. The using a coffee cup in each had press down as hard as you can until there is no more liquid left in the grain. That should help. It's what I do w/my 1.75 gallon batches and i get at least 75% efficiency sometime 82%.

pressing-the-grain-bag-57084.html

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 723
Can't see how you get such a low efficiency. Try getting a pain strainer bag and using it in your 2 gallon cooler w/o the braided tube. When the mash is done lift the bag, put a collendar ontop of the cooler and put the bag in it. The using a coffee cup in each had press down as hard as you can until there is no more liquid left in the grain. That should help. It's what I do w/my 1.75 gallon batches and i get at least 75% efficiency sometime 82%.

I do something similar

Squeeze the life out of the grains.

I thought I read somewhere that squeezing was bad. Something about extracting tannins? Am I confused?

I had 75% efficiency for my first AG gallon brew a week ago and only had 60% yesterday. Wondering if a little squeeze would have helped.

A lot of brewing lore is myth. Tannins are extracted over 170F. As long as you don't squeeze them hard enough to make diamonds, you will be fine. I've started squeezing after the mash and again after the sparge, with no tannins at all.

A lot of brewing lore is myth. Tannins are extracted over 170F. As long as you don't squeeze them hard enough to make diamonds, you will be fine. I've started squeezing after the mash and again after the sparge, with no tannins at all.

......and the smaller your batch the easier it is to get a higher percentage out fo the wet grain. I wonder what would happen if you put the grain bag in something like a wine press. :) :mug:

C-Rider said:
......and the smaller your batch the easier it is to get a higher percentage out fo the wet grain. I wonder what would happen if you put the grain bag in something like a wine press. :) :mug:

Will definitely be trying this for my next brew. The squeezing...not the wine press.

Anyone have any thoughts on creating multiple 1-gallon batches from the same wort?

I've tried this so that 2 gallons of wort become 1 single gallon batch of plain porter, and 1 single gallon batch of chocolate chili pepper porter. It's the volume efficiency of 5-gallon beer brewing with the experimental maneuverability of a one-gallon batch!

If anyone has ideas for more recipes to use as a base, and then some variations on those recipes, I'd love to try them out! I've got 4 fermenters sitting empty, here!

Anyone have any thoughts on creating multiple 1-gallon batches from the same wort?

I've tried this so that 2 gallons of wort become 1 single gallon batch of plain porter, and 1 single gallon batch of chocolate chili pepper porter. It's the volume efficiency of 5-gallon beer brewing with the experimental maneuverability of a one-gallon batch!

If anyone has ideas for more recipes to use as a base, and then some variations on those recipes, I'd love to try them out! I've got 4 fermenters sitting empty, here!

Different dry hops in a pale ale or ipa, different fruits in a blonde or wheat, different spices in a stout, different yeasts in the same beer.

I wanted to free up my 3-gallon carboy so I decided to transfer my Holiday Beer after 10 days. Haven't done a secondary in a long time. I need to get some smaller Racking Canes because I had a hard keeping the siphon going between bottles. Huge PITA but I got it done. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

so who sells the best 1 gallon starter kit. I do large atches and i am looking to shrink down to 2.5 gallon batches but for now 1 gallon batches seems to be a good starting point since both my 3 gallon fementers will be held up for a long while with a sour i brewed.

so who sells the best equipment kit and who has the best recipe kits. I normally make my own recipes but i want to just brew others recipes for now.

Haven't done a kit in over a year since I left Coopers behind and started my AG small batch BIAB. I just pick a style, do some research and punch the numbers into BeerSmith. No need kits. :)

I have beer smith and that's what i have been doing for larger batches. I just want to be lazy and just brew beer with no work to make the recipe

Well i looked over al the kits i have pretty much everything but a small fermenter and a small racking cane. So i placed a order with northern brewer for 2 fermenters a mini auto siphon and a black ipa kit. I am in the process of converting my recipes in beer smith and setting up m equipment. i need to go buy a smaller stock pot everything i have is to0 small or too big.

so who sells the best 1 gallon starter kit.

Brooklyn Brew Shop was how I started two years ago. I haven't used them in ages but a few people on here use them for 1 gallon with nice results. Check them out as well. Their kit used to come with a 1 gallon carboy along with just about everything else besides a siphon. Good luck

With my experience racking my 1 gallon batch of beer last night and others mentioning auto siphons, I decided a search for mini auto siphons. Now, I know a couple of online HBS have smaller versions of auto siphons in stock but I wanted to pass along this link for FlyGuy's T-siphon. I thought is was very clever and it should work no matter how much beer a person needs to rack. Anyway...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/flyguys-t-siphon-3-replacement-autosiphon-25774/

I'm going to make one this weekend and try it out.

C-Rider said:
I guess everyone has the right to be lazy once in a while. :rockin: Enjoy your brews.

So my plan backfired. I ordered that stuff last night and today I ran to the brew store and picked up some ingredients for some of my current recipes and 4 more fermenters with airlocks and stoppers.

I'm also doing some smash recipes to get my beer smith dialed in for these smaller biab recipes. Picked up some different hops also to compare hop profiles

I'd consider using a metal lid to a pot instead of the coffee mugs for the pressing of the grains. I'd hate to break one in my hand.

well im brewing my first one gallon batch....a citra SMaSH :) trying to get photos so far everything is going smooth i just mashed in about 10 minutes ago

The way I see it is it takes 4 weeks to make, but only 3 days to drink. In my eyes it not worth it.

Well bully freaking good for you.....

I don't recall this thread being a "give me your opinion on 1 gallon batch thread." It's for people who ACTUALLY do it. And SUPPORT each other in doing so.

No one really gives a flying frig about your opinion on the matter. ....Who really cares how you "see" it. We don't even know who the **** you are. Go piss in your own sandbox.

:rolleyes:

The way I see it is it takes 4 weeks to make, but only 3 days to drink. In my eyes it not worth it.

I brew a batch every week, and since I don't get to have a beer every day it comes out about right.

And I don't waste any, and I get a nice variety.

Different strokes I guess

so who sells the best 1 gallon starter kit

http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Beer-Making-Kits_c_13.html

great kit can brew 1 to 1.5 gallons. can also just get the fermentor and bottling bucket separate
have the hop zombie ingredient kit going right now
making a negro modelo clone from clone brews scaled down this weekend and then a dead ringer kit from NB next week. I usually try to do 1.25 gallons so I at least get a 12 pack
seems to work well for me

asked for their "4 pack of brews" for Christmas

Latest posts

Back