1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand one gallon or even 5 gallon batches. I do as much as I can get into a 15.5 gal keggle (usually about 12 gal in the kegs) and between family and friends it vanishes way too fast. If I had the room, I'd upgrade to at least 20 gal batches.
The setup and cleanup are most of the work anyway.

1 gallon batches are great for people who want to try different things and not waste 12 gallons. Also, if you have limited space....me....it works out. Wish I could rock a 12 gallon process!

I don't understand one gallon or even 5 gallon batches. I do as much as I can get into a 15.5 gal keggle (usually about 12 gal in the kegs) and between family and friends it vanishes way too fast. If I had the room, I'd upgrade to at least 20 gal batches.
Thanks for your $0.02 :off:

I suppose if I need the quantity and volume you do 12+gal would be a draw to me, but the absolute last thing I'd want though is to be stuck with 12 gal of the same beer. I'd never make it through it. I love diversity, experimentation, and being able to have multiple styles on tap for when the mood strikes.

Just because you enjoy brewing large batches doesn't mean that you can't experiment with small batches also - brew up 12+ gal, and split it four ways, pitching a different yeast to each, or dryhopping them with different hops, using different ferm temps with the same base - take a recipe you love and try some different techniques with it to see if you can improve it.

Clean up's never the best part of brewing, but I do think that cleanup with smaller batches is easier. I can just put the pot/fermenter into the dishwasher along with whatever I used and hit "wash" and walk away. Hard to stuff a keggle into a dishwasher. Small batches have no need for pumps, chillers, hoses, etc - but start getting over 5gal of hot, sticky boiling wort and your equipment starts getting larger and more complex. Bigger batches = bigger equipment = more to clean.

Everyone here has a brewing style that works great for them, you found the small batch thread - and that's what works great for us. If you have questions about it, or need some ideas to experiment with your large batches, just ask!

:mug:

Been gone a while. Haven't brewed a 1 gallon batch for a couple months (did a 5 gallon witha buddy) and usually I do the kits from Northern Brewer but looking to try a full grain (did one when I first started). I didn' thave the right equipment last time so it was a mess and wondering if anyone has some recommendation for good kettle for a full grain and any other equipment things that would be helpful. Sure some of this has been asked so thanks for humoring me.

Been gone a while. Haven't brewed a 1 gallon batch for a couple months (did a 5 gallon witha buddy) and usually I do the kits from Northern Brewer but looking to try a full grain (did one when I first started). I didn' thave the right equipment last time so it was a mess and wondering if anyone has some recommendation for good kettle for a full grain and any other equipment things that would be helpful. Sure some of this has been asked so thanks for humoring me.

Do it Brew In A Bag.

1) Look in your kitchen for a 5gal pot. That's your tun and kettle.
2) Go to Lowes/HD and get a 5gal paint strainer bag (2pk) for 5 bucks. There's your grain bag.
3) Put all the water you need in the pot, heat it up to strike, and put the grains/bag into the water and stir it up well.
4) Put the lid on the pot. Put the pot in the oven as low as it will go.
5) Forget about it for next 45min
6) Take it out of the oven, put it on the stove and heat/stir up to 180F. Put the lid on and stick it back in the oven for 10min. (note, this heat step is optional, I'll let you decide if it matters to you...)
7) Pull the bag, put it in a colander/grate/whatever over the liquid in the pot to drain. Turn the stove up and start the boil. Squeeze if you want, that's up to you - grain is cheaper IMO.
8 ) Boil as usual.
9) Done with boil, stick the lid back on the pot, place pot in fridge. Forget about it for a few hours.
10) Come back when the wort's cold - pour into fermenter, add yeast, shake like heck. Put the airlock on it. Stick someplace dark and in the low 60's. Forget about for 3 weeks.

So other than grains/hops/yeast, if you have a 5gal pot and a colander all you need is a fermenter (2gal bucket or whatever, bung and airlock) and a 5gal paint strainer bag.

Hows that for inexpensive and easy?

:mug:

I have a question that may have been asked, but 500 pages area lot to read through :D. I recently started 1 gallon batches to run as testers for my 5gallon+ batches. Saves money, still just as fun, and I get to use my old brooklyn brew stuff. My question is this... I love WLP-001 for my IPA's. Recently I used US-05 because it was dry and easy to measure on my gram scale. But due to my preference to the liquid stuff, does anyone have a suggestion on how to separate the liquid yeast into smaller amounts?

I have a question that may have been asked, but 500 pages area lot to read through :D. I recently started 1 gallon batches to run as testers for my 5gallon+ batches. Saves money, still just as fun, and I get to use my old brooklyn brew stuff. My question is this... I love WLP-001 for my IPA's. Recently I used US-05 because it was dry and easy to measure on my gram scale. But due to my preference to the liquid stuff, does anyone have a suggestion on how to separate the liquid yeast into smaller amounts?

Just make a small starter and split it into mason jars based on what you need.

Just make a small starter and split it into mason jars based on what you need.

Yup. ^^^

Make a 1L starter. When done and while the yeast is still well stirred up in the flask, transfer 200 ml each into 5 half-pint canning jars. Close them up tight, label them and put them in the fridge until needed.

Its a case of different strokes for different folks. I make mostly 5 gal. batches because that's how my rig is set up, I have a 4 tap keezer and have production scheduled to meet the demand on my system. It keeps a variety of beers available on a rotation basis and allows me to brew frequently (which I enjoy). I have lots of space and a big family and friends who like my beer. Also, I'm an old fart who's kids are grown and I have a few sheckles to spare for my hobbies. I want to do 1 gal. batches as a way of testing new recipes.

But that's just me and my situation. Everyone else's situation is different. They may be the only ones drinking their beer, may live in a situation where space is very limited, may be limited on available funds for brewing, may be using 1 gal. batches as a way to break into the hobby, etc., etc.

If you don't get it, that's completely cool. But this thread is here for those who do get it. K?

Cheers! :mug:

I would shake it up and use half (or less) for your gallon. Sanitize before opening and before putting the cap back on.

I don't understand: the question is about having too much yeast, and the prevailing wisdom is "make more yeast, then save some for later." Making a starter, transferring to mason jars, storing in those jars... Then the next time you brew, open a mason jar and make a starter... The risks of infection, not enough yeast, etc. are the same or greater than simply pouring off some of the yeast in a White Labs tube.

After your 1 gallon batch finishes, you can put it in mason jars for next time - that's a bi-product.

@bobcatbrewing
As said by others,we all have our reasons for small batches.
I have a severe problem with my back and cannot lift more than 6-7 ltr at a time. Been that way for most of a year now.
It was either go small or stop brewing.
So,good sir,would you have me give up brewing because this form of it does not sit well with your "bigger is better and more is best" standpoint?
Cheers

Hilarious! You can't understand 1 gallon after we've explained it in over 5,000 posts? From space limitations (which ironically you point out in your own post,) experimentation, to physical limitations, we all have our reasons. I actually have had all the equipment for 5 gallon for well over a year and never switched.

Finally, we do it because we like brewing...just like you

Hilarious! You can't understand 1 gallon after we've explained it in over 5,000 posts? From space limitations (which ironically you point out in your own post,) experimentation, to physical limitations, we all have our reasons. I actually have had all the equipment for 5 gallon for well over a year and never switched.

Finally, we do it because we like brewing...just like you

I don't know why people ask that question here anyway.

Some folks just like to look for a beef with things they do not or cannot understand!
I brew 5ltr batches. Can you imagine 1 US gallon brewers sh$t talking about that?

Just got done brewing my second ever gallon of homebrew. Tried my hand at an all grain BIAB oatmeal porter. My system clearly needs a bit more tuning however, ended up missing the boil off by a full quart. How do you guys handle extra wort if you misjudge your water volume? For this round I filled my fermenter with what it could hold with sufficient head space and had to dump the rest for lack of another container.

Just got done brewing my second ever gallon of homebrew. Tried my hand at an all grain BIAB oatmeal porter. My system clearly needs a bit more tuning however, ended up missing the boil off by a full quart. How do you guys handle extra wort if you misjudge your water volume? For this round I filled my fermenter with what it could hold with sufficient head space and had to dump the rest for lack of another container.

I've had this problem before - either boil for longer or pour your wort into a larger fermenter, like either a two gallon bucket or a Mr beer lbk. Make sure you have either one of those on hand next time you brew! Seeing precious wort go down the drain is painful.

As long as you hit gravity you wanted, I don't worry. You set out to make a gallon, you got a gallon. But usually if that happens to me, the gravity is too low. So I boil longer. But then the bitterness can be off. It's a toss up.

Turns out what I thought was sufficient head space was in fact not sufficient head space. Woke up to a popped off stopper and a little mess this morning. Hooray for secondary containment. Replaced the stopper and it's been bubbling away like crazy all day. Might need to invest in some 2 gallon buckets for future primaries. This beer is turning into a good learning experience :cross:

We bought the quad pack of gallon fermenters but have used a growler if all of them were in use but usually I have the opposite problem end up having to add a little water. A blow off tube for the first couple of days works great. Plus I like to hear it bubbling away.

A blow off tube for the first couple of days works great. Plus I like to hear it bubbling away.

I actually did use a blow off. I think the issue was a poorly secured drilled stopper. I was thinking about investing in some of those screw on caps with holes in them that fit the one gallon jugs. Has anyone had good/bad experience with those?

I love it when I end up with extra wort. It's like a little extra happiness in a few weeks.

Beginner brew day in the books! Had a request from a guy I know about joining me for a brew day, he had lots of interest but was a little concerned and overwhelmed with all the details. Not to worry, I told him to swing past and we could brew up something - in this case it's was a mild.

We covered a ton, but he took great notes, asked a lot of questions, and left excited to brew his own beer. He also got sent home with some beer, a half pack of yeast (so he didn't have to use whatever old yeast came with his kit), and some other freebies to help him out.

Always good to get a new brewer excited about the hobby. Hope I can get a few more to swing past and BREW!

:rockin:

I popped a bottle from my first two small batch BIAB sessions that were back to back after #1 (maris otter/Fuggle SMaSH) turned out great, I quickly found a Fresh Squeezed clone recipe and milled the grains and went at it. I later found out the FS only uses Citra and Mosaic. I also used some Galaxy.

Bottles were roughly 10 days into bottling and the SMaSH had a nice smooth head and tasted great. MO is my new favorite base malt. The FS clone actually tasted a close to spot on. I need to pick up a 6 pack to do a side by side. The head on it was huge!

All in all I am super pleased with my ~2gal setup for indoor semi-simple brew sessions. I don't even chill it! Just set it outside for a few hours and then into my fermentation fridge and the next morning put it into the carboy and add the yeast. Unsure I want to go BIAB for my 5 gallon batches, but it's a slick way to brew I will give it that.

Brewed an ESB yesterday. 90% MO 10% C120 and soem northern brewer hops I have had around too long and London ale yeast.

I popped a bottle from my first two small batch BIAB sessions that were back to back after #1 (maris otter/Fuggle SMaSH) turned out great, I quickly found a Fresh Squeezed clone recipe and milled the grains and went at it. I later found out the FS only uses Citra and Mosaic. I also used some Galaxy.

Bottles were roughly 10 days into bottling and the SMaSH had a nice smooth head and tasted great. MO is my new favorite base malt. The FS clone actually tasted a close to spot on. I need to pick up a 6 pack to do a side by side. The head on it was huge!

All in all I am super pleased with my ~2gal setup for indoor semi-simple brew sessions. I don't even chill it! Just set it outside for a few hours and then into my fermentation fridge and the next morning put it into the carboy and add the yeast. Unsure I want to go BIAB for my 5 gallon batches, but it's a slick way to brew I will give it that.

Brewed an ESB yesterday. 90% MO 10% C120 and soem northern brewer hops I have had around too long and London ale yeast.

Just rig a pulley system up, last 5.5gal batch I did was 12-13lbs (dry) and it is a wonderful thing not having to hold the bag.

A little home malt tester. Just before bottling. Pale malt with a bit of home crystal. This is my first attemp at malting. I've been trying a few different farmers malt out. Some good som not so.
imagejpg1_zps887c75a5.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse1799bba.jpg

Anyone have a good citra ipa recipe for a one gallon batch?

Look up the zombie dust clone recipe on here. It is a recipe for 5 gallons but is easily scaled. It's all citra and turns out great! Both recipe for extract and mash. I went the mash route and nailed it right on the head.

Hey Jakis, I used a recipe from BBS for a single hop Citra IPA.

Here are the details:

816g English Pale Malt
181g Caramel 20
90g Victory Malt

Mash at 144-152 for 60 mins

14grams of Citra split into sixths. Add hops at 60, 45, 30, 15, 5 and FO.

Ferment with Safale S-05

Mine turned out amazing and the lone bottle I gave away for a friend to taste came back with amazing reviews and a demand to make more.

View attachment 1418911878327.jpg

Hey Jakis, I used a recipe from BBS for a single hop Citra IPA.

Here are the details:

816g English Pale Malt
181g Caramel 20
90g Victory Malt

Mash at 144-152 for 60 mins

14grams of Citra split into sixths. Add hops at 60, 45, 30, 15, 5 and FO.

Ferment with Safale S-05

Mine turned out amazing and the lone bottle I gave away for a friend to taste came back with amazing reviews and a demand to make more.

That is a massive head...what did you use for bottling?

That is a massive head...what did you use for bottling?

I still use honey for priming, most of BBS recipes use it.

If you're referring to my method of getting the beer into the bottles just a racking cane and tubing with a clamp.

I still use honey for priming, most of BBS recipes use it.

If you're referring to my method of getting the beer into the bottles just a racking cane and tubing with a clamp.

I haven't messed with honey at all. It looks great. Maybe I'll give it a whirl

I haven't messed with honey at all. It looks great. Maybe I'll give it a whirl

BBS recipes always call for 3 tbls of honey for a One Gallon batch but I got a few gushers so I scaled back to 2 1/2 tbls. No problems since!!!

Back