1.70 OG, smak pack... Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok my Belgian (intro to AG process) kit, came with Belgian yeast (Wyeast 1338) which indicates use on beer's with OG less than 1.60....

So I thought I'd make a starter... So I'm boiling 2 cups water... then realize there isn't any DME in the house!!!! ARG!!! The kit doesn't have any either as it's an Intro to AG kit.... DOH!!!

So I used 3 tbsp of Brown Sugar. cooled to 72 then pitched the smack pack starter (1hr into yeast development, since busting smack pack initiator at room temp)

I should have plenty of yeast, but as I've further read online... I may have "Lazy" yeast due to the sugar content.

What do you think?

I know I'll have Yeasties and will separate the beer off the top and just pitch the yeast tomorrow. Just wondering what kind of yeasties I might end up with.

You're way low on OG, I know that much....I assumed brown sugar was 1 qt/lb, (not sure on this, but if I picture a package of brown sugar, I figure it's about 1 qt, maybe?), and your 3tbsp / 2 cups water is 1.018 OG.

I guess they'll still eat the sugar, right? Brown sugar is fully (almost) fermentable, so they will reproduce. They won't be used to the maltose type sugars that will be in the wort, but they are yeast, they are meant to eat any sugars around, (within reason).

So, in short, I have no idea, but vote for "you'll be fine"....at least I figured out your OG for the experts to chime in on :D

Thanks for the OG on the starter. I just guessed and didn't want to "Overwhelm" the yeast with something super sweet. Just enough to get it building more than what occupied the smack pack.

I used brown sugar rather than white as I have used Brown sugar in the past as an addition to the LME, so figured it wouldn't cause "Whacked" flavors uncomon to beer.

Any idea as to what kind of yeasties will be created??? Says the "Mad" scientist..... :D:D:D

I just pitched a wyeast german ale into a oktoberfest with a gravity of 1.068 and it is fermenting like crazy! It was the same it said not for over 1.060 but it still worked

Back