1.7 mini fridge / ferm chamber opinions please !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
Okay so here is the deal, I have a ferm chamber I built a few months back and its great but It gets really old putting frozen water bottles in there all the time. My ferm chamber is built where I store all my brew stuff, its the middle rack of a 3 level garage storage shelfs. I basically put rigid insulation all around with a door as well. It can hold 2 6.5 carboys and a 3 gallon better bottle.

Now on to the question. I was going to build a whole new unit on the ground that would utilize my 1.7 cf mini fridge but I had a idea come to mind and wanted to throw it out here. I was thinking of instead of building a whole new unit I could just cut a hole in the bottom of my mini fridge and set it on top of my already built ferm chamber and use a piece of ABS to duct it down into the ferm chamber. So basically the fridge would sit on top of the ferm chamber and a fan would blow cold air (That sinks anyways) into the ferm chamber.

What do you guys think? Obviously cheaper, and its already built. Just have to cut a few holes and insulate the pipe where its not in the fridge or the ferm chamber.

I have used a 1.7cf mini fridge for my fermentation chamber. It works perfect for ales and lager fermentation, kind of struggles to keep at lagering temps.

The only thing I can see as a downfall for you is that it is in the garage. I don't know how it is in CA, but I have the unit sitting in a 65-68 degree basement room and it works fine, would figure it might struggle a little bit in a garage if it is warmer. But I only can speak for Kansas Summer heat.....not good on anything really.

I dont plan on lagering with this so at least I have that going. My garage at its hottest would probably get around 90. I can keep my ferm chamber with frozen water bottles (2) at a steady 65 so I think I might be okay. I just don't know how well the ABS tube going into the ferm chamber will work. I have read a few threads where people suggest another vent pipe for hotter air that rises but not sure if that would be applicable for this. The chamber is roughly 3' wide by 15'' deep and about 26'' high

Does anybody else have any thoughts on the "Hotter air" pipe addition cycling into the fridge? I'm wondering if this would be necessary.

Back