1/2 gallon growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40ozOLDe

Reaction score
what do you all pay for your amber growlers? individual? 6? 12? just curious, they seem expensive...However in my mind theres nothing more satisfying than polishing off a growler and a boat load of spicy wings in an hour and a half with four of my best buddies so i was thinking of bottling my next brew in these bad mamma jammas. thoughts/ comments/ suggestions? Is it basically the same as 12oz bottles bottling wise?

yeah they are the screw cap ones, thats what i was thinking? someone on here has definately done it though

I know that some people who keg who will dispense into growlers (and consume them fairly quickly), but if they don't seal well, you're never going to get them to bottle condition.

To refill vs. buy a new growler filled, is $2 difference. Logo'd brown screw-top from the local Micro.

IMPORTANT: ONLY USE brown! Do not expose a quantity of beer to even indoor lighting for any extended period of time, like while you slam 3 or 4 or 5 pints, unless in brown glass (i.e., if the Micro has only clear growlers<I've seen when they are out of normal stock, them using clear as a temp. substitute> and you're determined to take some home, ask for it to be put in a brown paper bag). Shield the beer in your glass from the sun when outside; immediate effect on taste from light exposure.

I actually used 4 1/2 gal growlers for my last batch... And it worked fine. I just made sure i screwed the cap on all the way. Only problem was that nearing the last two beers all the sediment got mixed in. Make sure you rinse after use too they are quite a b**ch to clean if you dont.

Back