1/2 and 1lb hop packages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
How do the vendors that sell large hop amounts package them?

I'm looking to buying 1/2 pound amounts and want to know if I need to get
some special bags or a vaccum tool to store them over the year that I use them.
I.e. do they use a good bag, or something simple to ship them in ?

Any recommendations for places to buy hops ?

thanks.

It depends on the vendor. Vacuum-sealed, opaque oxygen barrier bags are the gold standard, but some ship them in freezer/foodsaver bags.

I store mine in ziploc bags (the sous-vide kind), which are a pain in the ass, but they're cheap and work more often than not. I've also stored hops in regular thin clear plastic bags for several weeks and didn't notice any adverse effects, but certainly not the way to go for long-term storage.

If you buy from Hops Direct, you can probably get 1 pound for the same price as you will pay for 1/2 pound most other places. They come vacuumed sealed in the opaque plastic. Most the time you will end up with a couple extra ounces as well. They are the only place i buy bulk hops from.

Chromados

Farmhouse brewing does theirs in 4 oz increments in those silver bags like hops are supposed to be in.

farmhousebrewing offers it in more convenient packaging, but more expensive than hopsdirect. i use hopsdirect, a ziploc bag, and the freezer

Back