0 Minute Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I add the hops and kill the heat. I use an immersion chiller, so I'll wait one minute before turn on the water and cool it down to about 185 F and then let all the hops steep for 10 minutes (gets out the oils, but they don't boil off) and then cool down again with the IC. I usually use a hop bag, and I'll leave them in until the temp hits about 100 F and then let it drip while the cooling finishes.

I cool to about 180F give or take a few degrees and then add flameout hops, let steep for 20-30 minutes then cool the rest of the way.

kill the heat, toss the hops, start the chill. For even more late addition hop aroma toss in a -5 minute addition too(that's 5 minutes after the chilling has started).

Great, thanks for all the advice! I didn't think it was complicated, just curious as to how everyone handled it.

This is what we do too. Never heard of the steeping practice before. Interesting.

I learned from a recent BYO article that Stone Brewing lets their flameout hops steep in ~190 degree wort for as long as 90 minutes before chilling. So when I want to make a beer with lots of hop flavor I steep my flameout hops for at least 30 minutes before chilling. This technique has worked well for making beers with big hop flavor.

I cool to about 180F give or take a few degrees and then add flameout hops, let steep for 20-30 minutes then cool the rest of the way.

I start around 190F because I'm impatient, and because I'll be well below 180F by the time the steep is finished, but this is my practice as well. I saw a post on a rival board claiming Kristen England was a strong proponent of this technique, referred to as hopstanding. Citing Ray Daniels, themadfermentationist tried it as well and said he "couldn't be happier with the way this one turned out." Not that it matters alongside those three, but I've had success with it as well.

Back