LP = Normal propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcstrom

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question. I'm looking for equipment to start doing all-grain. While looking for a burner, I found a Banjo burner at New LP 10" Cast Iron Burner Banjo Cooker w/ Hose Guard - eBay (item 180313692203 end time Feb-10-09 13:24:12 PST) with free shipping. I can't seem to find any burner that doesn't have $20+ shipping costs and unfortunately, I can't find a burner (or brew pot for that matter) locally.

The description at the above link states that it works with LP. Is that the same Propane in the bottles I have for running my grill?

Thanks.

kcstrom

LP Gas or LPG = Liquid Petroleum Gas is correct and refers most commonly to Butane and Propane, both of which burn equally well in these types of burners with no change. Butane burns a little hotter but will freeze up at below freezing temperature. Propane is the most common LP gas available. Propane is also considered safer since it is lighter and a leak will dissipate into the atmosphere more readily than Butane which is heavier and tends to move toward ground level and pool in low areas when no wind is present.

LP Gas or LPG = Liquid Petroleum Gas is correct and refers most commonly to Butane and Propane, both of which burn equally well in these types of burners with no change. Butane burns a little hotter but will freeze up at below freezing temperature. Propane is the most common LP gas available. Propane is also considered safer since it is lighter and a leak will dissipate into the atmosphere more readily than Butane which is heavier and tends to move toward ground level and pool in low areas when no wind is present.

I have a problem with gas settling in low lying areas, maybe i should switch....:cross:

I think you are speaking of the dreaded, deadly methane gas. I don't think they make a burner for that!:D

Sure they do. At least that's what we used to use in college :ban:
Bic_Lighter-04826_bs.jpg

Yes LP is (normally) normal propane. The stuff you get in the 20lb bottles at the gas station or home depot etc.

I think you are speaking of the dreaded, deadly methane gas. I don't think they make a burner for that!:D

Natural gas is a gaseous fossil fuel consisting primarily of methane but including significant quantities of ethane, propane, butane, and pentane—heavier hydrocarbons removed prior to use as a consumer fuel —as well as carbon dioxide, nitrogen, helium and hydrogen sulfide.

So... if you could capture it... you could use natural gas burners!

Latest posts

Back