Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > Trip to Boston - Suggestions on pubs?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
TerapinChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh god I can't believe I forgot this. You've got to find a reason to drive north of the city and stop at Kelley's Roast Beef. Go hungry. Order a roast beef and a lobster roll. Go on a nice day, you can sit and watch the beach while you're eating.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
PMSfishy
Recipes 

Bukowski's Tavern -- Large selection of beer, mostly bottled. The places gets very crowed and is not very large. -- Bukowski's Tavern - Boston, MA, 02115-3155 - Citysearch

There are also two brewpubs that I know of that have some decent beers. Boston Beer Works & Rock Bottom. -- Welcome to BEER WORKS - BEER WORKS 2009 & Great Food and Handcrafted Beer - Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery

Sunset Grill & Tap is ok, I'd look at the other three first.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSfishy View Post
Bukowski's Tavern -- Large selection of beer, mostly bottled. The places gets very crowed and is not very large. -- Bukowski's Tavern - Boston, MA, 02115-3155 - Citysearch
and over charges for every beer they serve...

Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
PMSfishy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
and over charges for every beer they serve...
He is on vacation, money is no object.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I assure you, money is an object.

Anyone been on the Sam Adams tour? is it worth it?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah it was quick and cool and we got to meet the guy in the carhartts from the commercials.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Bukowski isnt' cheap but it's also among the few really good "beer bars" around the city and for the type of selection they have, I don't think they're too overproced. Is it the best selection on the planet? no, but they've got a pretty decent tap/bottle list.

Publick House
Bukowski
Deep Elum
... believe it or not I would even add Kinsale in there if you're looking for right downtown.

Those are, I think, the three really good beer bars right in and around Boston. There was a few more mentioned on this thread (I think Tony L mentioned one) that i'm sure are good, I've just never been.

A lot of people also like Sunset... as you can tell, I'm just an "anti-Sunset guy".

If you're looking for something to kill a bunch of hours duyring the day, the Museum of Fine Art is actually really cool. It's not just a bunch of fat naked chic paintings from the 1500's... they have some pretty cool exhibits in there... Egyptian mummies, Roman and Greek stuff... it's a pretty cool place.

Take a tour of Fenway.

And... depending on the weather and some folks might make fun of me for suggesting it... but... take a Duck Tour. I was dragged on one kicking and screaming and it turned out to be pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 381 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Take a tour of the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) then walk up the hill to the Bunker Hill Monument (forget for a moment that it is actually on Breeds Hill.) If the sun is shining take a walk on the Freedom Trail. Walk around in the North End, there is a lot more there than Hanover St. The Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum is a great take. Take the Green Line out to Fenway Park and marvel. (Has anyone been in the Cask lately? I couldn't believe how it had changed. You could bring your mother there now.) Boston Beer Works has some nice brews and the food is ok. I found the Sam tour to be a total waste of time. Go by the State House and see the largest collection of crooks in the Commonwealth. The Top of the Hub is cool and so is the Top of the Pru. The Granary Burial Ground is actually really cool, it's right by the Common.
PTN

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Sean from New Hampshire
Recipes 

Beer Guide for Boston - Massachusetts, United States - BeerAdvocate

You could always check beer advocate! I personally recommend the Kinsale at government center. Excellent beers on tap. About 20 I think. Great local brews like Smuttynose and Cambridge Brewing Company.

Enjoy!

Sean From NH

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Bukowski isnt' cheap but it's also among the few really good "beer bars" around the city and for the type of selection they have, I don't think they're too overproced. Is it the best selection on the planet? no, but they've got a pretty decent tap/bottle list.

... believe it or not I would even add Kinsale in there if you're looking for right downtown.
Instead of Bukowski's, walk across Mass. Ave to the Other Side. Food and beer is better and cheaper.

I'll second the Kinsale and give a nod to Jacob Wirth's, which is also downtown.