Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Very "ich" hefeweisen

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
FreakinA
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Tempe, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok so I brewed a hefeweisen 2 weeks ago, and took a gravity sample today, and It has a REALLY strong odd banana taste. I know this is resulting often from high ferm temps, but its been kept sub 75 for the entirety of the 2 weeks.
The recipe is just 6 lbs dry wheat extract, 1 oz hallertau, and the safale wheat yeast. I was planning on bringing this to a party over new years, and was hoping the super strong banana taste would disapear. Any thoughts?
Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Banana and clove.

The very characteristics of a Bavarian Hefe.

That's normal. And one of the reasons I cringe when people suggest to new brewers to brew a hefe when they want something light and refreshing to serve to company.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I may disappear some, but you can always cut/blend it with another "regular" brew.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3390 Times on 3245 Posts

true, brew a basic wheat and blend. No corriander or orangel peel or anything, Just wheat malt, maybe some 2 row, and ahop bill matching what you used in the hefe. Then just a clean yeast like Notty or Saf04. Then after ferm, Siphon into banana brew to mix.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
FreakinA
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Tempe, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was totally expecting a little banana, but I'm afraid I will have to just call this a banana hefe! It totally took my by surprise. It was my 10th brew and had experienced very little fruit taste in any but this, hopefully it drops out in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help. PS: why dont I ever taste nearly this much banana is storebought hefes
Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7718 Times on 5421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinA View Post
I was totally expecting a little banana, but I'm afraid I will have to just call this a banana hefe! It totally took my by surprise. It was my 10th brew and had experienced very little fruit taste in any but this, hopefully it drops out in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help. PS: why dont I ever taste nearly this much banana is storebought hefes
I wonder about your temperature- you said it was under 75, but was that ambient temperature or the temperature of the fermenter? From a homebrew website:

DC Labs has finally released this highly-anticipated dry yeast selected for wheat beer fermentations. WB-06 produces estery and phenol notes typical of Bavarian-style wheat beers.

Flocculation: low
Final gravity: high.
Optimum temp: 59°-75° F

To me, "estery" means banana/fruity for sure. If it was at 75 degrees, I'd say it would be very much to the high end of estery.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 337 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I may disappear some, but you can always cut/blend it with another "regular" brew.
Blasphemy!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. When I brewed my hefe, about a week and a half in the primary and it smelled like week old road kill and tasted about the same. About three weeks later when I bottled, it smelled fantastic and tasted exactly like a hefe should. The banana was definitely, but a lot less pronounced than when I first tried it. Just give it some time to mellow out and I bet it will be ready for the new year.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
dogbar
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

I'm sure many here frown on the practice, but try one with a lemon slice. Made a big difference in an accidental banana hefeweizen I made in one of my earliest batches when I let me ferm temps get away from me.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
cushdan
Recipes 

May 2008

I brewed basically the same thing with similar results. The banana and clove did diminish slightly after a week or two, and I probably got used to it as well.