First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. If I were you, I'd seal that lid back up and not open it again for a week. It has a lot of fermenting to do and the krausen is going to build up much higher than it is now.

The stuff on the sides looks more like hop residue left over from the kreausen(sp?). I personally would not scrap that stuff back in and risk an infection (not from the stuff, but from opening your fermenter and putting a scraping implement in). I never have and all my beer has turned out fine.

The stuff on the sides looks more like hop residue left over from the kreausen(sp?). I personally would not scrap that stuff back in and risk an infection (not from the stuff, but from opening your fermenter and putting a scraping implement in). I never have and all my beer has turned out fine.

Thank you for your responses.

TB American Wheat was my first beer too. (Only about 15 months ago but it seems longer.) I pitched my yeast at 90 degrees, took no gravity readings whatsoever, and bottled after 7 days -- and in spite of all that it turned out okay. Not to worry, yours looks fine. It just wants to be left alone for a while.

Its tempting to prematurely want to open the primary just to 'make sure its alright'. Let it go... Even if you Ronco it (set it and forget it) you will only make it better.

WTF... THREAD JACK TO MY - A female ref in the WEC...
Sorry...

At any rate, next timeI might just use my carboy at the primary (just so I can peek at it)
-Me

Yes I opened the lid. The spigot is on my bottling bucket. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days. Seeing what the gravity is and how close to bottling I am.

You opened the lid? Do you not have a spigot on your fermenter?

I would guess most of don't have a spigot on the fermenter. One, many of us use glass carboys- two, spigots are a great place to leak, and for bacteria to hide. I siphon from the primary after fermentation is over, as even if you have a spigot, sometimes the yeast cake is up over the bottom of the spigot anyway.

A spigot is NOT necessarily a good thing for a primary fermenter, and your tone is very condescending.

Anyway, your beer looks pretty darn good! What is your plan for it, and what was the SG?

I would guess most of don't have a spigot on the fermenter. One, many of us use glass carboys- two, spigots are a great place to leak, and for bacteria to hide. I siphon from the primary after fermentation is over, as even if you have a spigot, sometimes the yeast cake is up over the bottom of the spigot anyway.

Anyway, your beer looks pretty darn good! What is your plan for it, and what was the SG?

The SG was a little bit lower than what the front of the instructions said. It was 1.047. The instructions said between 1.049-1.051. My plans right now are to let it sit until this weekend. I will most likely bottle it then. But I have seen on here that letting it sit for 3 weeks is also a good idea.

The SG was a little bit lower than what the front of the instructions said. It was 1.047. The instructions said between 1.049-1.051. My plans right now are to let it sit until this weekend. I will most likely bottle it then. But I have seen on here that letting it sit for 3 weeks is also a good idea.

No, I meant now, when you checked the SG. Sorry I wasn't very clear!

No, I meant now, when you checked the SG. Sorry I wasn't very clear!

Haha well I broke my thermometer the other day cleaning up around the kitchen. So I couldn't get the temperature to see how far away from 60 degrees it is currently. But the hydrometer read 1.016. It is pretty much right on the FG according to the instructions.

Haha well I broke my thermometer the other day cleaning up around the kitchen. So I couldn't get the temperature to see how far away from 60 degrees it is currently. But the hydrometer read 1.016. It is pretty much right on the FG according to the instructions.

Yep, it sounds like it's right at FG! Have fun on the bottling day this weekend!

Thanks man. Can't wait until it is carbonated to drink it up.

I'm sure you meant "thanks man" in the "thank you even though you're a girl" sense, right? :D

I'd check the SG again on Saturday before bottling to make sure that it's still 1.016. You want the SG to be stable before bottling. It may drop a couple of points in the meantime.

I'm sure you meant "thanks man" in the "thank you even though you're a girl" sense, right? :D

I'd check the SG again on Saturday before bottling to make sure that it's still 1.016. You want the SG to be stable before bottling. It may drop a couple of points in the meantime.

Haha. Right after I sent that I saw on another thread referred to you as a female. So I had to check on your profile. But yes I mean it in the second set of quotes. :mug:

Thanks for the advice.

Haha. Right after I sent that I saw on another thread referred to you as a female. So I had to check on your profile. But yes I mean it in the second set of quotes. :mug:

Thanks for the advice.

Another clue is the picture in my avatar- that's my hockey team. I'm in the middle, in the front.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a good brew going, man.

Back