Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Temperatures

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
davidsbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Temperatures

First time brewer and I followed the instructions that were provided in the kit. When I cooled my wort to allow addition of yeast to ferment everything went well. It started fermenting within an hour or so I put it in a closet to keep dark and away from kids. After a day the fermenting STOPPED. My house temperature is 68 deg - 72 deg F during the day, but at night it went below 65 degrees. Could this have been the problem that caused the fermenting to stop? I was thinking that it would take 3-5 days like the instructions say for fermenting to complete. SO, does fermenting need to be at a relatively constant temperature?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
BullF-16
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Trust me, do not rely on the airlock as an indicator of fermentation. You will notice that every batch of beer you make ferments different. The only way to confirm fermentation is complete is to take 3 days worth of hydrometer readings. when the gravity stops dropping the ferm is complete. Give it at least a week and plan your next batch in the mean time. RDWHAHB!!! I was the same way for my first 3 batches.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
BullF-16
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsbrew View Post
First time brewer and I followed the instructions that were provided in the kit. When I cooled my wort to allow addition of yeast to ferment everything went well. It started fermenting within an hour or so I put it in a closet to keep dark and away from kids. After a day the fermenting STOPPED. My house temperature is 68 deg - 72 deg F during the day, but at night it went below 65 degrees. Could this have been the problem that caused the fermenting to stop? I was thinking that it would take 3-5 days like the instructions say for fermenting to complete. SO, does fermenting need to be at a relatively constant temperature?
As far as temps go, yes it is better to have stable temps in the mid to high 60s, try not to let the temps for the first week go above the low 70s to prevent slight off flavors. I have had my batches dip into the hi 50's and low 60's recently with no ill effects.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

Stable temps are best, but as above, relax. Just throw away the instructions and let it sit for 2-3 weeks. It wont pick up off flavors from sitting on the yeast and the yeast can do the job they are supposed to. The last week take hydro readings 3 days apart. When they remain unchanged then your beer is done.

For more stable temps before you go to bed wrap a towel or sleeping bag around the bucket. In the summer you will use a different method but thats for later. Remember KISS until you get you mind wrapped around brewing. I have no doubt you will just like the rest of us. Everyone here will gladly tell you tips and tribulations they have encountered while brewing.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
davidsbrew
Recipes 

Default brews to you

Thanks for the feedback... I had a feeling it was something like waiting and seeing.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
thakoolaidkid
Recipes 

Don't mean to thread jack here but while we are on the subject what temp range is best for which beers? I know Ales are between 65-75F. What about Pilsners, Lagers, Stouts, etc? What temps are best for those?

1st batch (Bottled): Brooklyn Brown Ale clone
2nd batch (Bottled): Spiced Winter Warmer Ale
3rd batch: hmmm...

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakoolaidkid View Post
Don't mean to thread jack here but while we are on the subject what temp range is best for which beers? I know Ales are between 65-75F. What about Pilsners, Lagers, Stouts, etc? What temps are best for those?
Depends on the yeast.

Check for whatever you're using, generally speaking cold temps give lest yeast character while warm temps give more. Most ales are 60-72, lagers are much lower, some specialty styles are in the 70s.