Grain Mill Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymaker6998

Reaction score

Hey Guys,

I was wondering i fnayone out there knows a good susbstitue or method for milling grains with out a mill all thats important is just crushing them right?

Thanks,
Raymaker!

Rolling pin...very slow and not that effective. I have also heard of people using a blender, one ore two cups at a time, just pulse the blender to break all the grain, not make flour. I use a corona mill w/ a 1/2" drill, you can buy one on ebay for around forty bucks shipped. Roller mills run around a hundred bucks, people love em.

I also hear people use a wine bottle if no rolling pin is available. I tell you what, though, you don't want to crush any more than a couple pounds of grain that way. It's not fun.

TL

Save your bucks and get a mill. Many different price ranges to fit every wallet. It will be the best thing you can do for your hobby. Most LHBS never quite get the crush the way you need it. You won't be sorry you did.

I also hear people use a wine bottle if no rolling pin is available. I tell you what, though, you don't want to crush any more than a couple pounds of grain that way. It's not fun.
+1

i tried this once. never again.

You can use a rolling pin for a pound or two...

but if you want to all grain brew, you need a mill if you can't get the LHBS to mill for you.

brewing is an investment up front, with payouts after every batch.

Back