Seeking tips for brewing a porter... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seeking tips for brewing a porter...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Tripod
 
Tripod's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 642
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts



Hello Fellows (and ladies...)!

I will finally be brewing the next batch this coming Monday and I'm getting my game face on! I'll be trying my hand at a porter for the first time and was wondering if any of the more experienced brewers had any tips for making a porter.

It's just a simple extract recipe with steeping grains. Nothing fancy. I've been studying the style and have a good idea what I'm shooting for. Anything special about a porter (technique wise) that I should keep my eyes open for?

Thanks as always!

-Tripod
__________________
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
TCHDNSD
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Nampa, ID
Posts: 185
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


Actually, same as any thing else. Nothing jumps out at me to be careful of. Enjoy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Posts: 2,995
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


Keep the hops simple - just bittering, you want a good malty backbone I've had my best results with using Brown Malt with a nutty roasty flavor. Maybe 1lb if you are just steeping.

Keep the fermentation cool
__________________
Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Bob
 
Bob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Posts: 3,927
Liked 142 Times on 105 Posts


Get a copy of Terry Foster's Porter. It's a bit late for Monday (unless your LHBS has a copy), but...

I consider the Classic Styles series indispensable. The authors have really gone deep into the particular styles. The background they provide helps quite a lot when it comes time to investigate or perfect a certain style.

For Porter specifically, there's nothing really glaring that you need to worry about. It's an ale, generally mid-range in gravity and IBU. I like mine with flavor hops and a detectable level of fruity yeast esters; others don't. I don't think roasted barley has any place in Porter; others disagree.

Tell us what you have in mind so we can pass judgement on it and by extension you.

Bob
__________________
Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
carl spakler
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
MA
Posts: 294
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I am brewing one this weekend as well, here's my recipe, it is based on one I found here with a little tweak here and there:
----------------
3 lbs of Marris Otter
3 lbs light DME
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Crystal 120
.25 Black Patent
.25 Victory
.25 smoked malt (a touch of smoke...)
.25 wheat (body)

2 oz fuggles 60

Nottingham yeast
----------------

I added the wheat and smoked malt to the original recipe, apologies to whomever I liberated and bastardized this recipe from, I scan through the recipe DB and create a separate document with ones that look promising.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Posts: 7,743
Liked 1023 Times on 720 Posts


I like Northern brewer hops for bittering and just a touch of Cascades for the finish
__________________
FREE SHIPPING FOR THE HOLIDAYS!
USE PROMO CODE HBTXMAS
See my thread in the sponsor showcase for details

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE


Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Tripod
 
Tripod's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 642
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Get a copy of Terry Foster's Porter...It's a bit late for Monday (unless your LHBS has a copy), but... ...
Thanks, All for the Input!

Bob, thanks for the link to the books by Foster...I'm thinking I may have to ask Santa for those but I'm not sure if I've been good enough!

I have mostly been gathering my style info from the BJCP Styles Guidelines at BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index. That, along with other sites have provided a ton of surface-level info to get me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Tell us what you have in mind so we can pass judgement on it and by extension you. ...
For what it's worth, following is the recipe. I am basing it on a clone recipe for Sam Adams Honey Porter that I found on the web (can't remember where but I'll try and find that site...). However, most of the extract recipes I found called for LME and I made a conversion or two to sub the equivalent amount of DME so it is a bit "bastardized" as Mr. Sparkler would say. Here it is:

Sam Adams Honey Porter Clone (subbing DME for the original 6# of Amber LME)

1/2# Black Patent Malt (crushed)
1/2# Chocolate Malt (crushed)
1# Medium Crystal Malt (crushed)
5-1/2# Amber DME
3# Light Honey
1oz Perles @ 60 mins
1/2oz Fuggles @ 30 mins
1/2oz Fuggles @ 5 mins
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

The Honey is the only factor that is totally new to me. I have an excellent source from the UGA Entomology Dept and all of their honey is freah and natural and mighty tasty. After a LOT of reading, I'm thinking that I might only use 2# of Honey for the wort and then maybe add some to the secondary after taking a sample and seeing how it tastes. I'm not shooting for super sweet but I don't might a bit of honey flavor since we're heading for the holidays.

OK, sorry for the long post. FIRE AT WILL!!

-Tripod
__________________
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Bob
 
Bob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Posts: 3,927
Liked 142 Times on 105 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Bob, thanks for the link to the books by Foster...I'm thinking I may have to ask Santa for those but I'm not sure if I've been good enough!

I have mostly been gathering my style info from the BJCP Styles Guidelines at BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index. That, along with other sites have provided a ton of surface-level info to get me started.
I like the Classic Styles series because they're so in-depth. The authors really really love the styles they're covering; the depth of knowledge is often astounding and always educational.

Quote:
Sam Adams Honey Porter Clone (subbing DME for the original 6# of Amber LME)

1/2# Black Patent Malt (crushed)
1/2# Chocolate Malt (crushed)
1# Medium Crystal Malt (crushed)
5-1/2# Amber DME
3# Light Honey
1oz Perles @ 60 mins
1/2oz Fuggles @ 30 mins
1/2oz Fuggles @ 5 mins
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

The Honey is the only factor that is totally new to me. I have an excellent source from the UGA Entomology Dept and all of their honey is freah and natural and mighty tasty. After a LOT of reading, I'm thinking that I might only use 2# of Honey for the wort and then maybe add some to the secondary after taking a sample and seeing how it tastes. I'm not shooting for super sweet but I don't might a bit of honey flavor since we're heading for the holidays.

OK, sorry for the long post. FIRE AT WILL!!

-Tripod
Honey will not make it sweet. On the contrary, honey will ferment out almost completely, leaving honey flavors. Doesn't matter when you add it. One acquires honey sweetness by stabilizing finished beer - through chemical sterilization, pasteurization or sterile filtration - and adding honey after the fact.

I can't really fault the recipe beyond recommending Light DME over Amber and cutting the Black Patent back by a third (a half-pound is quite a lot, too much, IMO).

Bob
__________________
Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Posts: 4,165
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
I like the Classic Styles series because they're so in-depth. The authors really really love the styles they're covering; the depth of knowledge is often astounding and always educational.

I can't really fault the recipe beyond recommending Light DME over Amber and cutting the Black Patent back by a third (a half-pound is quite a lot, too much, IMO).

Bob
Totally agree on both suggestions. Keep the BP to a minimum.
__________________
How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
enderwig
 
enderwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Posts: 1,435
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Listen to the Jamil Show for the porter style that you are looking to make.
The Jamil Show - Porter.
Whenever I am brewing a style that I have never brewed before, I always listen to the show for that style.
__________________
Read the
Homebrewtalk Wiki!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 tips to better extract brewing Corkster Extract Brewing 71 02-02-2014 03:44 AM
Brewing-tips.com - Daily Brewing Tips Website onelegout General Beer Discussion 13 06-08-2010 12:42 PM
Newbie seeking brewing wisdom wisdom86 General Beer Discussion 8 04-27-2009 05:32 PM
Spruce Tips for a Colonial Porter ohiodad Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-13-2008 01:49 PM
Any tips for night brewing? Soulive General Techniques 31 01-27-2008 02:11 PM


Forum Jump