Quick... you are stuck in a hotel room without a bottle opener...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXmDiYHUY0]YouTube - HOWTO: Open A Beer Bottle With A Piece Of Paper[/ame]

Edit: I thought you were in this jam at the moment.

How sturdy does the corner of the desk look? Provided you aren't going to chip the wood/stone or whatever I say use that.

Better yet, I bet you actually have more than one beer, use one beer to open the other.

How about a lighter do you have one of those?

This happens to me all the time! Go to the door, either the handle on the sliding glass door, or the plate on the doorjamb----both good places to rest the bottle cap, then simply hit the top of the cap with you palm. VOILA! open beer!:ban::tank:

A lighter, any utensil (knife and fork dont use the sharp end) piece of wood, corner of a book. Anything you can wedge under the cap you can pry it up with just like in the paper video. I carry a lighter with me just for this even though I dont smoke.

I've been in this situation more than a few times. I hate to think of how many bathroom counters, coffee tables, desks... have a chip knocked out of them. I finally wised up and when faced in that dire situation, I use the door hinge, or more specifically the hinge pin part of the door. But, I now have on my key ring a Schlafly bottle opener, plus I carry a spare in my suitcase. Hasn't been a problem getting thru airports either.:mug:

Coastarine, I dig the origami video. I could have used that method one a many times. On the other note, what beer is that wrapped in gold foil?

i've been known to use my wedding ring when I cant find anything and it works great everytime.

holding the bottle in your right hand, place your left hand's ringer finger's knuckle (the one closest to the ring obviously) on top of the bottle cap and relax your left hand.

wedge a couple of the bottle cap's crimps between the bottom of your ring finger and the ring - now rotate your left hand forward and upward (make sure you're holding the bottle tightly in your right hand) using the ring to pry the bottle cap open.

i'd post a pic but im too lazy

If I have my keys, I have a bottle opener. Instead of colored key fobs for each car I have colored bottle openers.

Softball league and a six pack of pop tops made one a very necessary addition to the car keys. :D

Negro modello has gold foil
you can open a beer with a dollar bill Good tricks to get free drinks and $$ at parties. (hey, if i open your beer with that fiver, can I keep the bill?)

one good place is the door latch plate. Works great.
also the top corner of the coke/vending machine. Nice hard metal edge.

if all else fails, try the corner of the bed frame.

I'm with the rest of the smart guys around here and just have on on my keychain.

B

I usually have a bottle opener on my luggage but my wife took my suit case for her travel last week and I ended up with hers (not the clothes! :))... which didn't have it. I ended up using my belt buckle to pull the bottles open. I hadn't thought about the door hinge.

The desks, tables, other furniture in Marriotts have rounded edges (probably because of people like us).

just use your car keys.

house keys are tougher cause they're short, but you can pry tops off with anything just like the lighter/paper trick. Car keys are always handy and work just as well.

One of my favorites is the lighter but that's already been said. Once you can use a lighter you can use pretty much anything as you obviously understand how the cap comes off.

I've been on a ski lift and used part of the chair. That was neat.

Also you can use another bottle!

i carry a gerber airframe style folding knife, it has 2 spots that are the perfect size to open bottles:

in the past i've used my teeth(hurts), door corners, countertops, lighters etc

ring_thing.jpg

I have this.

Just about anything hard and thinnish can beuse to open a bottle. Most hotel rooms will have a teaspoon. That is really good. a buckle. another unopened bottle will do.
I don't go out of my way to get a bottle opener and will us anything suitable around.

When I was young and foolish my teeth would do.

My freshman dorm room had a counter with a good edge, so we just put the cap right over the top and hit down on the bottle. Worked well.

The wheels on my old VW Rabbit GTI were perfect for opening bottles. The size of the holes in the rims was just right.

awesome! this made me remember that my old honda civic had the same great feature. of course i ended up riding around with clanging bottle caps once in awhile, but that's a'ight

I can open a beer bottle by using the cap of another closed beer bottle. If you only have one bottle, I'd say use the bible in the night stand...:cross:

The strikeplate on the door jamb can work sometimes too.

My FIL had these cool bottles from Germany (I think) cannot remember the brand. They have a bottle opener molded int the bottom of the bottles. Course, you would have to have 2 bottles for it to be any use...

The bottle opener mounted to the bathroom counter. I haven't found a hotel/motel that doesn't provide an opener in each bathroom.

I smoke so, I always have a lighter. Beside that;

counters, silverwear, belt buckle, key ring.

But thanks to Becks I now have an opener that fits in my wallet to replace the American Express. Never leave home without it.

Back